Driver's door lock cylinder spins - '99 DII

mlnnc

Mar 23, 2008
Charlotte
I've searched the forums but haven't found this problem discussed. As of this morning the key will not lock or unlock the driver's door of my '99 DII. The key turns freely about 90 degrees in both directions but doesn't feel like it is connecting with anything. I took off the door panel and confirmed that the rod connecting the door handle to the actuator is connected properly. (Bummer - I'd hoped it was something simple like a disconnected linkage.) The keyless entry system still locks and unlocks the car just fine. Is there a way to repair or replace the door handle lock cylinder without needing different keys for the lock and the ignition?

Thanks,

Mike

jslagg

Sep 14, 2004
I had the same thing and what it more than likely is is the following: There is a arm inside the handle that has a star like end and it attached to the back of the lock and it breaks adn then your lock will spin. It is pretty common unfortunately. I just replaced the handle and took my old lock cylinder out and placed it in the new one so that I didn't have to have another key. If I recall correctly I went to Car cannibal to get one. http://www.carcannibal.com/rover/
Good Luck.

mlnnc

Mar 23, 2008
Charlotte
Re: Driver's door lock cylinder spins - '99 DII - FIXED!!!

Thanks for your reply, but about the same time you posted it I was taking apart the door and found what you describe - a thin shaft running from the door handle to the lock actuator with a cross-like head at one end (engaging the receiver on the actuator) and a hole drilled through it near the other end, retained by a pin running through a receiver in the door handle. (Sounds complicated I know, but it makes sense when you see it.) It was made from pot metal and had broken at the point where the pin goes through it.

I realized that the shaft was almost exactly the same diameter and length as a 20d common nail. I was able to file the nail head into the cross shape and drill a 7/64 hole near the other end to accept the pin. I also shortened the nail by about 3/16" to be the right length. The result was a perfectly functioning lock with an investment of about 2 hours, including removing and reinstalling the door panel and the door handle.

If you have this problem send me a note and I'll send you pictures of the nail modified to make the repair and more detailed instructions.

MNinWI

Dec 19, 2007
Thank you to both of you. The description above was enough for me to figure out how to fix the door lock. I went to the hardware store with broken rod in hand. Bought the minumum amount of 20d nails at 2.99 USD for a box. (The sales assistant looked at me odd when I said that I wanted to buy one nail, apparantly nobody goes to a hardware store to buy one nail.) Followed the brief procedure described above and it worked.

I am nervous that the four prongs on teh nail head will put more stress on the actuator than the original rod that had much larger fins, so I am concerned that if I continue to use the key in the door, that the actuator will fail too. So, I plan to use the remote instead of the key, only using the key in an emergency.

I bought the 2003 DII used in February 2006. At that time the radio in the vehicle that communicated with the remotes did not work so the previous owner must have been using the key in the door lock for an unknown period of time. (That was fixed under warranty.) I did not like the big bulky Land Rover key with remote so I had a metal key cut (Ilco RV4) and used that. It was still large but not as fragile and bulky. Thus the door lock key has seen constant use for over two years and possibly much longer.

Thank you again.

Slappy

Jun 17, 2007
Santa Clara, CA
This is classic, the same thing just happened to me this week. Must be something in the air, or the planets aligned just right. :rofl: I just haven't had time to take it all apart, good to know that I don't need to replace the lock cylinder.

ReVoR.ca

Jun 20, 2008
Cornwall.ON.CA
Slappy said:
This is classic, the same thing just happened to me this week. Must be something in the air, or the planets aligned just right. :rofl: I just haven't had time to take it all apart, good to know that I don't need to replace the lock cylinder.

It's Nigel's Disease.

SDD2

May 20, 2006
Rave says "Release exterior handle control from latch." How do I do this without breaking something? There is kind of a plastic tab - do I push, pull, or what? Thanks ...

SDD2

May 20, 2006
I'd whack it with the man fist if there was room, but it's a little tight. I'm sure there is a release tab or something on one side of the plastic piece attaching the rod to the latch, but I haven't felt it/seen it yet. Probably painfully obvious, but I'm willing to get flamed if I can get it loose without snapping something in two and move on with the repair ...

SDD2

May 20, 2006
By the way, I did end up doing this repair, replacing the broken rod as others have done with a nail. However, I used a 40d nail instead of a 20d. The thickness and width of the nail head allowed for about as much surface area contact on the plastic lock actuator as the original piece, so it shouldn't stress the actuator any more than the OEM part. Some quick work with a dremel and the nail head was done. Also, the larger diameter of the nail allowed for more material on either side of the hole drilled for the retaining pin. It will never break again. Plus, you can buy 40d nails individually at HD for 5 cents each ...