Three amigos - Dealer says time for new ABS ECU. What do you think?

DiscoDawg

Mar 27, 2006
Lake Barrington, IL
The truck is a 2002 with 39K miles that we bought new. First time we got the codes a few years ago they replaced front left wheel sensor.

This time they say it is throwing erratic codes and the ABS ECU needs to be replaced for $800.

Three questions:

First, what would cause an ABS ECU to go bad? Isn't it more likely that the problem is corrosion or bad connections somewhere?

Second, I notice a recall on 2001 models in January of 2002 that replaced the ABS ECU's in those trucks. Isn't it likely my truck had the same ABS ECU given that I took delivery of June 2002?

Third, we had a tekonsha voyager brake controller wired in last summer. Could it be creating some sort of interference that is messing with the ABS ECU?

The truck is not under any sort of warranty and I am concerned that the dealer will bleed me dry trying to fix this problem. First ECU, then a couple wheel sensors, then new modulator, etc...

I'm considering either driving the truck without ABS or selling it. Currently it is a third vehicle we keep around to pull our fleetwood evolution e3 pop-up camper.

What do you think? With all the things that can bring on the three amigos, I feel a little foolish on a 6 year old truck spending most of a grand to quiet them down temporarily.

D

DeMak

Search on ABS, there's lot'sa good info. I don't know how heavy that trailer is, or if it would matter that much, but I decided I didn't need ABS when the dealer quoted me about what my truck was worth to fix it.

DeMak

scottjal

Mar 16, 2006
Nashua, NH
scottjal.ath.cx
I kind of think corrosions or bad connections too. At least its a good/cheap start. Replace computer because of random codes just sounds a little like parts hunting. Might be good to just spend a day or two unconnecting things hosing them down with WD40 and blowing them out with compressed air.

Brake controller duno, can you disconnect it?

I had a motorcycle that just had failing electrical stuff everywhere. Just plain cleaned every single connector I could find and solved everything, no problems for years after either.

scottagnew101

Apr 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
depending on the reputation of your dealer sometimes you cant take anything that they say for truth. How is it that they came to that conclusion? I take it that they read your codes? if they did, did they happen to give you a print out of the numbers of the codes or what exactly it defined it was?

My local dealer was telling me that my Check Engine Light (CEL) was on because of my "height" sensors.... I DIDNT EVEN HAVE ANY:rofl: and they wanted $180.00 to turn them off:banghead:

If they didnt tell you anything about the codes, you can take it back to them and see if they will tell you... most likely they will charge you again to re-read them. or find a independent shop (rover shop) and have them read the codes and give you advice (thats the best option).

It might be that bad, or it might just be a bad connection.

Scott

DiscoDawg

Mar 27, 2006
Lake Barrington, IL
Thanks for the thoughts guys. That's the direction I'm leaning - bring it home, check as many connections as possible, and take to an indie.

I was hoping they would tell me that I was getting a wheel sensor code and knock the work out quick. Their lack of specifics about what codes are being thrown bothers me.

This is the same dealer that broke my windshield and then forged the check-in sheet to make it look like it came to the dealer broken. Trouble is, they are the only dealer around.

Steph

Dec 30, 2006
I have a 2000, and my slabs ecu was changed on a recall last year.

JMAAG

Sep 14, 2005
Denver, colo
there is problems with the ecu's throwing those codes and it a calibration issue in the ecu and the new ecu is an updated part and is less sensitive in setting these problems also there are new front overlay harnesses for the wheel speed sensor and depending on the situation you may need the harnesses and ecu, I have replaced many ecus and harnesses there is also a bulletin on this and you check connectors and ohm out wiring and check powers and grounds and what not, you are not alone with this problem believe me, many series II customers have had to deal with this

D

disco dis way

I have em to on my 2000 D2. Mine are speratic and I am yet to check the sensors at the wheel which I am hoping is the cause.

Steph,
You mention a recall on your 2000? Hmmm, I might have to check on that one.

H

honda900

For what its worth, the dealership replaced my abs modulator on my 03 discovery when it was throwing the 3 amigos and it fixed the problem. They previously tried replacing one of the wheel sensors to fix the problem, but it didn't work. I've heard that they have to go through a systematic process when troubleshooting issues and replacing parts.

DiscoDawg

Mar 27, 2006
Lake Barrington, IL
So I broke down and had the dealer replace the ABS ECU.

The lights are gone, and it seems like the braking is quicker and more sure-footed than it was when new. My wife agrees.

Maybe the revised part works better...

So, the lights are off, the truck stops, and I'm out $802.

MontrealRR90

May 21, 2004
Montreal,Canada
DiscoDawg said:
So I broke down and had the dealer replace the ABS ECU.

The lights are gone, and it seems like the braking is quicker and more sure-footed than it was when new. My wife agrees.

Maybe the revised part works better...

So, the lights are off, the truck stops, and I'm out $802.

just to make sure was it the Abs ECU or the Abs modulator

Wasatch Disco

May 15, 2007
Wasatch Front
JMAAG said:
there is problems with the ecu's throwing those codes and it a calibration issue in the ecu and the new ecu is an updated part and is less sensitive in setting these problems also there are new front overlay harnesses for the wheel speed sensor and depending on the situation you may need the harnesses and ecu, I have replaced many ecus and harnesses there is also a bulletin on this and you check connectors and ohm out wiring and check powers and grounds and what not, you are not alone with this problem believe me, many series II customers have had to deal with this

Holy shit! It's called a period. Figure it out.

soccrscot11

Aug 2, 2005
England
So I was reading the info on the link and I was wondering if I could get some clarification? Checking the ground stud connection and making sure it is not corroded but I'm a bit lost on the info about "pin connector." What are these and where are they located at? Is this something I can check out on my own or do I need special equipment? My 3 amigos came about a week ago, then went of when I shut the car off and then about 3 days ago they came back on and have been on ever since.