off road trailer

JBailey

Nov 20, 2004
Powhatan, VA
I have decided to sell the off road trailer I build a few years back. Currently has 35" BFG mud terrains mounted. Trailer has been to MAR several times so you may have seen it there. I just do not use it much and I know someone else could make better use of it.

I still have the Range Rover wheels.(I will include if someone wants them) Black ones in the pics with the pictured tires but the axle has been changed to a 5x5.5 bolt pattern.

Here is the add I have placed elsewhere:
I have a custom built off road trailer that i am thinking about selling. The Frame is constructed from 2x3 x .120 wall box tubing, the box rails and slider rails are made from 1.25 square tube. The diamond plate panels are 3/16 thick. All of the Lighting is LED. The entire frame was sand blasted and powder coated after the final welding was completed.

Some of the design features: Rear 2" receiver for recovery or hitch accessories. Tongue made from 2" receiver also, allows changing to from ball coupler to lunnet eye as well as change length of tongue. Full size spare held under the front of the bed with spare tire winch. It can be lowered down with a 3/8 rachet and extension. basket on the front was added later to allow more room to carrie coolers or gas cans or water. There are numerous tie downs located on the bed sides and floor for lashing gear down. The trailer only weighed 750# before I added the front basket. This included the spare. hubs are 5x5.5 The axle is brand new from ABC, 3500#.

Bed size was important for me. i wanted to be able to carry 4'x8' material if needed. The bed inside measurement is 4' 1/2"x 6' with the gate closed. opening the gate allows for longer material to be carried. The bed sides are 19" tall, same as the military trailers.
Everything is heavy duty. I just do not use it for it's intended purpose and know that alot of east coast guys have difficulty finding anything like this. Considering the cost of converting a military trailer witch does not have as sturdy a frame or the width in the bed as mine, I think this is a good option for someone in need of an expedition style trailer. That still has everyday utility. The overall width is not wider than my wide track CJ7.
$3500 but am OPEN TO OFFERS!. Located in central VA
trailerrr.jpg

P1010019.jpg

basket3.jpg

P1010040.jpg

Beachrover.jpg

Last edited:

trailhogg

Feb 26, 2005
Hermitage Pennsylvania
great looking trailer, not quite what i am looking for, but your pics have given me some direction with what i would like to build. I am wanting something that can be expanded to allow erection of a tent on top, instead of buying a rack and roof top tent.

Good luck with the sale

JBailey

Nov 20, 2004
Powhatan, VA
That is possible with this platform. The bed side frames are 1.5 square tube. I had alot More money wise, in this project than the $4k. Building what you "want" is fun but with the current cost of materail be prepared for sticker shock.
I had planned on making a platform that would fold open and allow me to erect my 2 man tent, only b/c I am to cheap to buy a roof top tent. LOL

Good luck. If I can offer any advice let me know.

John

trailhogg

Feb 26, 2005
Hermitage Pennsylvania
lucky for me my father is a milwright at a tube plant and can get me as much square or round tubbing as I need at no cost. We can do all the fabing as well, only thing we will need to buy is hardware such as hinges.

My mental picture is something enclosed, with drawers or compartments around the sides and rear, a basket like yours in the front, and a platform that folds open for tent.

also, a general question, why put MT tires on a trailer? seems like over kill

-chris

JBailey

Nov 20, 2004
Powhatan, VA
All the tires are the same, trailer and vehicle. wheels too. Just made it easier. I have used other tires for general utility hauling around town. Most times i have been able to Find great deals on used MT's. The current 3 with the trailer were a set of three I found used. It is hard to sell three used tires. Most people want 2 or 4, so I got a good deal.

If have tire issues I have 8 total matching tires and wheels.