water pours from the back door

JEDEGO

Jan 4, 2008
I have a 03 Discovery II and every time it takes a shower (due to raining conditions or washing it) water pours from the back door. Any clue how to fix this issue. All rubber protections are in place and in good conditions.

JEDEGO

Jan 4, 2008
The water pours form the top of the tailgate, but only on very rainy days or when I trow a bucket with water over the car after washing it! With normal rain, there is nog problem at all!

Thunderhand

Nov 28, 2007
Texas
Mine does the same thing. Next time you wash, remove the spare tire first. My theory is that the extra weight warps the door bulging the top outwards and anything that hits the seal easily passes through.

It would be nice to have an oversized door seal to compensate for the warpage.

Steph

Dec 30, 2006
here you go, cut and paste of an answer I gave on LRonly.com last week:

Had this issue when I first got my discovery with the OEM ladder already on. I too tought it was the ''thickness'' of the ladder that was allowing water to go in. Went to the dealer, and the service manager who is also a member of the local club, showed me how to resolve this.

You first have to open the door all the way, and while a second person is holding it and not allowing it to move, you have to loosen the upper hinge. Then the second person lifts the wide open door a little to allow the hinge to move in further than it originally was. thighten the upper hinge, and this will create a thighter seal.

Worked for me.

jeffro0502

Aug 22, 2006
Navarre FL
Poor fit and finish....mine had same issue...I adjusted according to the post above me and it sealed a little better but still had a leak. I ended up going to Lowes and getting automotive/marine grade weather stripping in black that was a 5/16" thick and 23/64" wide. I stuck it along the outer edge of the door and it seals perfectly and no more leak. Yeah I know it's not the way it came but with the stuff applied it almost looks like it came that way.

Last edited:

JEDEGO

Jan 4, 2008
First thing I'm going to try is the hinge adjustment. If that doesn't work (enough) i'll go for the trimlok! Many Many Many Thanks!!!

Big Papa

Jan 3, 2007
McKinney, TX
I have the same problem, but in a different area. When it really comes down in buckets, water rolls down my seat belt strap and all over me. :smilelol:

Steph

Dec 30, 2006
Big Papa said:
I have the same problem, but in a different area. When it really comes down in buckets, water rolls down my seat belt strap and all over me. :smilelol:

That would most likely be the sunroof drains that are either unhooked, or clogged so water gets in onto your headliner, and drips where it can.

There's a write up in the tech section on how to get to the drains. But as a temporary fix, you can open the sunroofs, and clean the inside edges of the glass all around, and the rubber seal using silicone spray. It won't do anything for the drains, but should stop the leak.

I had a similar problem, but my drains were fine. Its just that during heavy downpoors, the drains could not keeps up with the incoming flow and the water would get in trough the dirt that had formed on the rubber seal and inner glass. Did what I described above and no more leaks. Mine was coming down towards the front where the sunvisor attaches.

Big Papa

Jan 3, 2007
McKinney, TX
Thanks Steph, but I have an S model, so no sunroofs. Light to medium showers, I'm ok. But when it rains like nobody's business, I get drenched. :splat:

No Pvmt

Feb 7, 2006
Coast of California
the `03 and early `04 have had problems with the roofrack connecting to the roof. I went to the DLR and they fixed it and cleaned the SR drains. Now I am getting the leak in the back.

Steph

Dec 30, 2006
AS No PVMT said, the only other possible area then , would be the rack's attachment points. Lower your headliner enough to get to the bolts, clean thing up and find a rubber or soft urethane gasket that will fit there. Heck...I'd even custom make one out of tire tubing :)