95 disco cold start issue

L

laurenrover

Hi,

We started the disco this morning in about 1 degree F. Didn't let it warm up sufficiently and it stalled. Now it cranks but won't start. Suspect flooded engine. Currently waiting about 30 minutes before retrying. Don't have a block heater and temp not likely warm much over 10 degrees F, today. Never had cold starting issues before - as long as we wait long enough to warm up. Recent 120K service in the last three weeks. Anybody out there have any suggestions?

Thanks!

delash_81

Aug 8, 2005
Atlanta
I have a similar issue as it stumbles when cold under acceleration, and sometimes dies. The only solution is to hold the pedal to the floor while cranking, usually 30 seconds, during which my car comes back to life. NOTE, this will most likely shorten the life of the starter but its the only solution I've got at the time. Was told by a friend that holding the pedal to the floor 'locks out the fuel injectors' from firing when starting the car, is this correct on D1's or not?

-Delash

L

laurenrover

Thanks for chiming in! Thanks to AAA and the driver they dispatched, we now know how to fix this issue in place. Simply pull the fuse for the fuel pump and turn it over. With the fuel pump disabled, the engine will only use the gas that has flooded it. Once you get an idle, drop the fuel pump fuse back in (and let it warn up this time).