Belt driven York for OBA

Roxtar

Well, it's done.
As most know, York AC units are the Mac Daddy of OBA systems, putting out, far and away, the most CFM of any compressor out there.
Problem is the physical size and limited under hood space avail in a Disco.
I've finally figured out a way to mount them in a Disco I without losing the OEM AC.
After using the prototype for a few months this past summer and everything working perfectly, I ordered new laser cut plates for the bracket.
I've just welded up and installed them and all is good.
I'll be making these avail soon.
new oba pic1sm.jpg

new oba pic3sm.jpg

new oba pic2sm.jpg

dash gauge-sm.jpg

DISCODOWN

Dec 4, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
Wow!!!!! as one who owns both a amc [factory v8 mounts for york] jeep and a Rover- i find your conversion wayyy cool as that york should run air tools fer ya too !!!!!!!!!!! For sure post more info and pics here about this.

Jimmy

Apr 10, 2006
Aurora, CO
Hmmmm... any idea if these brackets will work for 3.9s? Took me a moment to figure out why the power steering pump in the pics was more centered than what I'm used to seeing, as I'm not versed on all the different configurations outside of my 3.9 w/a distributor. I can see it's a 4.0 and I don't see a distributor, thus why the p/s pump is moved over in comparison to my 3.9.

Looks great!

Roxtar

Jimmy said:
Hmmmm... any idea if these brackets will work for 3.9s? Took me a moment to figure out why the power steering pump in the pics was more centered than what I'm used to seeing, as I'm not versed on all the different configurations outside of my 3.9 w/a distributor. I can see it's a 4.0 and I don't see a distributor, thus why the p/s pump is moved over in comparison to my 3.9.

Looks great!
Very observant. Actually, moving the PS pump is part of the conversion.
I'll be selling the kit here:
http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43628

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
DISCODOWN said:
Wow!!!!! as one who owns both a amc [factory v8 mounts for york] jeep and a Rover- i find your conversion wayyy cool as that york should run air tools fer ya too !!!!!!!!!!! For sure post more info and pics here about this.
Now, please, would you modify your bracket to use a standard Saginaw power steering pump?
... and somebody, make the brackets for 76-series Saginaw p/s box on LR framerail...

D

D Chapman

Do you see any reason why the York pumps from Advance Auto will not work?

Are you using a 6-groove clutch from Onboardair.com?

Roxtar

D Chapman said:
Do you see any reason why the York pumps from Advance Auto will not work?

Are you using a 6-groove clutch from Onboardair.com?
Not familliar with those pumps but, as far as I know, Yorks all use the same mounting pattern so it should work.
I use a 6" 6 groove clutch but not from them.
I origionally machined the York 6 groove pulley out to the LR 7 groove (7 groove pulley/clutch not avail for York) but there is a very limited sizing avail in 7 groove belts. Nothing close to what I needed.
I called Gates and talked to an engineer and he said, "I'm not officially advising this but if it were my truck, I wouldn't hesitate to use a 6 groove belt in place of the 7 groove. Maybe replace it every 3 years instead of 5 but it should be fine."
I used a 6 groove belt for a few months this summer, running everything at once, including AC, and never had a problem.

D

D Chapman

So what clutch are you using?

Can you post some pictures of the bracket you're selling? Pics of the welds, construction, etc... If I'm going to drop 250.00 on this "kit", I don't want some POS hack of a bracket.

Roxtar

D Chapman said:
So what clutch are you using?
I used a Navistar clutch in mine but I'm pretty sure all 6" 6 groove clutches have the same back spacing.
If you want, I can supply the clutch or whatever else you might need.
PM me for any details
D Chapman said:
Can you post some pictures of the bracket you're selling? Pics of the welds, construction, etc... If I'm going to drop 250.00 on this "kit", I don't want some POS hack of a bracket.
Don't blame you at all.
Here are a couple pics of the bracket & eccentric w/ idler pulley.
bracket sm2.jpg

bracket install.jpg

bracket install2.jpg

D

D Chapman

DiscoveryXD said:
Willit include everything i need to work for the lockers?

All you would need to do is add a "T" at some place in your plumbing, preferably behind a air tank/reserve tank. Then, you would need a 90psi regulator between your "T" and your air switches. Easy.

Roxtar

D Chapman said:
Spacing the PS pump out like that does not do any harm?
There is a bracket behind the PS pump that has a hole for engine lifting. My bracket takes the place of this one so the spacing remains the same.
DiscoveryXD said:
Any more info on the kit?

I'm installing air locker on my truck and I'm considering this as an option. Willit include everything i need to work for the lockers?
I'm not sure you if you understand the kit. This kit includes the mounting bracket, belt, idler pulley, and all hardware to mount a York compressor.
It doesn't include the York or anything else to create the actual air system.
I can supply everything needed for a total OBA kit such as this:
http://onboardair.com/KE-2000-K.htm
but not for $250