Fiberglass Body

Leslie

Apr 28, 2004
Kingsport TN
But......

You don't have to use fiberglass, of course.... You can move the outriggers around on your RRC chassis, so that you can bolt a bulkhead onto it, merge a rear crossmember onto the back, and use regular Rover parts instead of the competition stuff.

Start searching for hybrid Rovers.... more often than not, it'll be a Series body on a coiler chassis.

Gordo

Hello there. Im in the middle of a hybrid build myself. There is not a ton of info out there but it isnt that complex. The cheapest way (relatively anyway) is to get a series 3 body, and use that body. Sure it isnt as long and doesnt look exactly like a 90 but its much cheaper! I got a beater for 500 bucks. I then had to acquire a 90 hood, breakfast, grill, steering column, wheel etc. If you want to use a 90 body it will cost more for the tub/top/etc for sure. Some photos of mine can be seen at www.floridalandroverclub.com under the photo album, but here are a few.
Keep in mind this is a pretty big undertaking. Im at 9 months and the truck is just now ready to go back together (well almost). These photos are of the first build which was only the mock. Its in pieces now. I went a little crazy on the cage and the fab work which did add a bunch of time and I restored the bulkhead myself to save some coin, but buying a 90 bulkhead from RN is a good option and not too expensive. PM me if you have any other questions or want a few online sites. Good luck. Gordo

Attachments

• DSCN24619.jpg
    DSCN24619.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN23718.jpg
    DSCN23718.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 90

D90DC

Nov 4, 2004
New Hampshire
How is that providing information on fiberglass? Question should have been how can I build a fake 90 on the cheep? Not knocking your creation... It looks good... Id love to replace my hood with a glass one 2 years in New Hampshire and it looks like crap...

Gordo

D90DC said:
How is that providing information on fiberglass? Question should have been how can I build a fake 90 on the cheep? Not knocking your creation... It looks good... Id love to replace my hood with a glass one 2 years in New Hampshire and it looks like crap...

If you read the whole post he is wanting to do this.

I want to make my own defender using a RR classic frame.

With the astronomical prices of d90 body panels, I just tried to give him an option. For me I could freaking care less if it looks like a D90, in fact I wish I could have kept the Series breakfast but that would have created more work. As it stands I didnt have to remove the engine, trans, axles, etc, only the rear d/s and transfer box to make cutting the chassis easier. The D90 hood/breakfast should give me just enough room to squeeze a rad and electric fans (more than likely). Mine is being built with the intention of beating the dogshit out of it in the woods. The last thing I would want to do is pay 20k or more for a woods toy. On top of that Im losing all the electronics which down here in the swamps is a constant headache. I like Defenders but for average folk like me that isnt an option.

Last edited:

Velocewest

May 13, 2007
PDX Orygun
mud ruts said:
Nope, I want to make my own defender using a RR classic frame.
Other than being about 10" shorter, a Defender is the same running gear as an RRC. A Defender basically IS an RRC, minus the modern comfort and convenience and seating for 4 adults. :p

Wouldn't it make more sense just to buy a Defender? By the time you get done building, you'll probably be into your clone for nearly as much money as an actual Defender, which will be worth more.

Gordo

Velocewest said:
Other than being about 10" shorter, a Defender is the same running gear as an RRC. A Defender basically IS an RRC, minus the modern comfort and convenience and seating for 4 adults. :p

Wouldn't it make more sense just to buy a Defender? By the time you get done building, you'll probably be into your clone for nearly as much money as an actual Defender, which will be worth more.

Very true, especially if you use defender panels. There are a lot of hidden costs in any build. Even my bargain build is up over 7k.

Velocewest

May 13, 2007
PDX Orygun
I'm the last one with room to talk about money pit projects, but the intended result isn't to create something that exists. That's the lesson I've learned -- if you want something unique, don't kid yourself into thinking it will be a bargain, and if you want something that exists, just buy one of those and save the headache.

E

eric w siepmann

mud ruts said:
Has anyone ever seen a fiberglass Defender body for sale?:)

I have never seen an exact replica before. I would post this on the UK BBS's - if it exists, they'll most likely have seen it.

D90DC

Nov 4, 2004
New Hampshire
Gordo said:
If you read the whole post he is wanting to do this.

I want to make my own defender using a RR classic frame.

With the astronomical prices of d90 body panels, I just tried to give him an option. For me I could freaking care less if it looks like a D90, in fact I wish I could have kept the Series breakfast but that would have created more work. As it stands I didnt have to remove the engine, trans, axles, etc, only the rear d/s and transfer box to make cutting the chassis easier. The D90 hood/breakfast should give me just enough room to squeeze a rad and electric fans (more than likely). Mine is being built with the intention of beating the dogshit out of it in the woods. The last thing I would want to do is pay 20k or more for a woods toy. On top of that Im losing all the electronics which down here in the swamps is a constant headache. I like Defenders but for average folk like me that isnt an option.

Lost me on that one Gordo... The way I read it was seen any fiberglas D90 bodies?

"Has anyone ever seen a fiberglass Defender body for sale?"

I didnt read How to build a Series 90 wannabee clone on the cheep..

Maybe i should have been educated in Fla? :banghead:

Leslie

Apr 28, 2004
Kingsport TN
D90DC said:
Lost me on that one Gordo... The way I read it was seen any fiberglas D90 bodies?

"Has anyone ever seen a fiberglass Defender body for sale?"

I didnt read How to build a Series 90 wannabee clone on the cheep..

Maybe i should have been educated in Fla? :banghead:

Well, to clarify, his second post said :

mud ruts said:
Nope, I want to make my own defender using a RR classic frame.

So, yeah, that was his intent, to build a cheap Defender on a Rangie carcass.

FWIW....