Have Kleenex before reading.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
Rover Puppy said:
Just to be clear, I would NEVER advise someone to go the way that I did.

From somewhere deep inside, I knew that the route the Doctor's were taking would kill me. I still can't explain that, it is just how it was. They thought I was insane for stopping cancer treatment... as they had every right to... especially with the knowledge that they had.

If I had it, or if a loved one had it, I'm sure I would first try a "medical" approach... just as I did with cancer. However, if that did not work, I would go for "natural" cures and/or management of the disease. Bottom line, is that I believe trying natural stuff is better than giving up... even if it is a desperate last resort.

Cool.

Looks like I misinterpreted your post a little, sorry if I came across harshly. I agree that we tend to have that inner feeling about what's working and what's not.

Sounds like you were a miracle case. Glad to see you came came through.:victory:

Oct 27, 2004
Rover Puppy said:

Just wondering...

Since this happened, how has the local community been dealing with it?

This story just came out the other day, and spread like WILDFIRE.... Everyone knows about it, everyone knows who did it and all the players involved and where to find them.

I've lived here abotu 10 years, and I have never seen anything get this type of reaction. Plenty of people around me, and frankly I have thought about it, thought about offering them some justice. Frankly, I dont see how this family will be able to live here any longer. Its like a scarlett letter type thing.
Have the people who did it been confronted??

I've heard some rumors, but nothing that I can confirm. But seeing everyones reaction, I wouldnt be surprised. I have heard about a Candle ass-ki....opps vigil at their house this weekend.
In a nutshell, I have heard a lot, but can't confirm anything.

There is also local outcry for the lawmakers to make a law against this happening, calling it Megans law or something like that.

This seems like one of those situations where other irate neighborhood parents would go over and give them a good butt whoopin'.

I would not be surprised if we hear about something bad happening to them.:popcorn:

Frankly, I would look the other way.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
Chris-St Louis said:
I would not be surprised if we hear about something bad happening to them.

Frankly, I would look the other way.
In the article you linked, it talked about Megan's parents having had offers of revenge from friends and family but told them not to do it, because they would get blamed.

But, I'm with you.:cool:

Oct 27, 2004
Nomar said:
Chris, we've been talking about this all day....thanks for binging it up.:applause:

Happy to talk about it, actually. Its very misunderstood. I'll tell anyone that will listen what I have seen it do to people.

Another surprising side effect of this discussion were the E-mails and PMs I got from a few people thanking me for bringing it up. Maybe it made some feel like they arent alone, or something... I dont know, but to be honest it made me feel good.:bigok:

slangel

Oct 5, 2006
VA
Chris-St Louis said:
Happy to talk about it, actually. Its very misunderstood. I'll tell anyone that will listen what I have seen it do to people.

Another surprising side effect of this discussion were the E-mails and PMs I got from a few people thanking me for bringing it up. Maybe it made some feel like they arent alone, or something... I dont know, but to be honest it made me feel good.:bigok:

Chris I too am glad you posted this here and on other forums, gives people a chance to have a glimpse of this disease, as you know I had an Uncle succomb to it as well. It is a horrid thing what these people did to this little girl, and something should be done to them by ANYONE. They obviously knew what they were doing was wrong and that's obvious from the use of an alias - it's sick.

Roverlady

Apr 20, 2004
Shenandoah valley
Wow, this is a crazy thread!

1. Clinical depression is a very real disease.
2. A Chemical imbalance is a very real disease.
3. Yes, many people are mis-diagnosed and mis-medicated for what is believed to be a chemical imbalance or depression.
4. Yes, the symptoms and the experiences are exacerbated tenfold in the teenage years.
5. I am not sorry for the parents of this child because, having only read the story, I believe they were not supporting her as best they could.
6. I don't even know what to think about the neighbors and the stupid Myspace crap.
7. It's a very sad, sad story about a sick young girl. Unfortunately, it could have been any peer or 'friend' that could have said or written or emailed something to send her over the edge...still she might have survived, at least this time with some help.

Rover Puppy

Jun 10, 2004
Tallahassee, Florida
Roverlady said:
.... I am not sorry for the parents of this child because, having only read the story, I believe they were not supporting her as best they could...

With all due respect :), and not disagreeing with you :), as a parent, I'd like to share my take on this.

These days, children are confronted with situations that parents have never experienced. It is quite difficult to comprehend since the internet is so "new" and earlier generations have never dealt with such matters.

I remember coming home from the grocery store and walking into the kitchen. My daughter came out from her room, obviously disgruntled. I asked her what was wrong. She told me she was having a fight with ***** (her best freind). Suprised that the two of them would disagree over anything and it being so quiet in the house, I asked... is she in your room??

My daughter replied no... which momentarily confused me... because I could tell that whatever was happening was in process. I asked where she was. My daughter replied... on the internet.

Knock me over with a feather, I was absolutely dumbfounded and slightly amused. I asked her... how in the world can you have a fight with someone on the internet? They quickly made up and all was well... but, I still did not "get it".

At least not until I started posting here. Now I know how someone can fight with someone else on the internet and how upsetting it can be for the participants.

In retrospect, I count myself as very blessed that we never had any serious problems. Because I did not understand the internet and how things worked, there is no way I can say for certain that I would have been able to stop something terrible. Mind you, I was a very actively involved parent in all facets of my daughter's life while she was still at home, but I really was "clueless" when it came to the internet.

When the "teens" come around, it is increasingly difficult to monitor what is happening and everything that they are doing. At that age, healthy teens begin to assert their independence and pull away from their parents. You can monitor what you can "see", but the internet is often "invisible".

One thing that I was adamant about... and my daughter did not like it... but, she complied... I insisted on having a list of EVERYONE and ANYONE she communicated with on the internet. That list had to contain the person's real name, their screen name, their address, and their phone number. The way I persuaded my daughter to be honest and cooperate in this list was to honestly ask her... what if you disappeared some day... then the police came to help find you... and they asked me who were your friends and who were you communicating with???... What am I going to say??? I don't know???

I told her that I would be a bad parent if I could not supply that information in an emergency.

That took the monkey off of her back (didn't imply that I did not trust her) and put it on mine (it is my responsibility to be a responsible parent... I am a bad parent if I don't do this).

It is weird how quicky things are changing these days, even for college kids.

Interesting fact:

Prior to the VA Tech shootings, colleges and universities did not have "their own" Emergency Management Departments and Emergency Managers. Post VA Tech, most universities are adding them, hiring full Time Emergency Managers, putting big money behind them, creating Emergency Operations Plans, and running Full Scale Tactical Exercises.

Just my 2 cents.

SGaynor

Dec 6, 2006
Bristol, TN
Rover Puppy said:
One thing that I was adamant about... and my daughter did not like it... but, she complied... I insisted on having a list of EVERYONE and ANYONE she communicated with on the internet. That list had to contain the person's real name, their screen name, their address, and their phone number. The way I persuaded my daughter to be honest and cooperate in this list was to honestly ask her... what if you disappeared some day... then the police came to help find you... and they asked me who were your friends and who were you communicating with???... What am I going to say??? I don't know???

My daugher is approaching her teen years and is starting to communicate with her friends on the internet. My wife and are extremely vigiliant about who she talks to. This is a good idea that we hadn't thought of. I'll be putting it into action, however.

Thanks.:victory:

D

dirty

SGaynor said:
My daugher is approaching her teen years and is starting to communicate with her friends on the internet. My wife and are extremely vigiliant about who she talks to. This is a good idea that we hadn't thought of. I'll be putting it into action, however.

you guys are wise beyond your years.

Rover Puppy

Jun 10, 2004
Tallahassee, Florida
SGaynor said:

You are welcome. It is good to know that my post may help someone.

I got that idea from something I did when she was a baby.

When she was born, we had a pool and lived on the water. Because of that, I started swimming lessons when she was 6 months old and kept at it until she swam like a fish.

You can't drown-proof a baby, but you can "buy time". Just teaching a baby to be comfortable in the water and how to roll over can buy 30 seconds... which can make a big difference in life or death.

While I know that anything can be retreived from a hard drive, it can take hours... if not days to recover useful information. That's why I looked at it as "buying time". Just a few hours shaved off of locating a missing child can make a difference between life and death. As you probably know from media coverage, if you don't find a child in the first 24 hours, the chances of finding them alive decrease significantly.

Also in our internet "deal"...

On my side, I promised to respect her privacy and not read her emails (my idea... which I was totally fine with... because she was trustworthy).

On her "contact list", if there was someone "unrecognizable", she had to write down a few short words of detail. Because she only communicated with friends from school and church there was only one "unrecognizable" on her list which said... *****(name of her friend) cousin, who lives up north, in ******(city and state). My definition of someone "unrecognizable" was someone who the majority of her freinds did not know in person.

Her "contact list" was written on 2 pages which were kept in my Franklin Planner (a day planner). She knew where the list was and had access to it, so she could update it. Which she did without my having to ask.

When I put this list "deal" into place, I raised her weekly allowance by a few dollars a week. If I remember correctly, I raised it by $5 a week.... which is a lot of money to a preteen/teenager. I felt like it was very worthwhile expenditure as good "insurance". ;)

Because I presented this "deal" to here positively, before we had a single problem, it was a very win/win situation... she had everything to gain and nothing to lose by doing it. (Yes, I confess, I suppose that I "bribed" her... at which point her initial dislike of this "plan" turned into a good "deal" for her... and she sincerely liked it.)

Last edited: