How to pin liners

swede

Aug 27, 2007
Starting a thread about this since I think alot of people could be interested in this

Looking for info / pictures on HOW to pin the liners. Have my block out of the car, and this seems like a good time to do it.

After what I have read the idea seems to be to drill a hole, half in liner, and half in block and put a Van Allen-screw in.

But where to put em, and how deep, and what size hole and screw....and....and...

Are the screws positioned differently in different cylinders? Any photos?

agbuckle98

Mar 10, 2006
wouldn't that distort the liner when you tighten the screw? And it seems like you would run a HUGE risk of drilling into a waterjacket. I think the only real fix is to use top-hat style liners.

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
i believe it is a fairly common mod in Australia. maybe check out the outerlimits 4x4 site.

jims95

Apr 20, 2004
Upland, California
Last year at 163,000 miles, my 3.9 had a leak on cylinder #3, that caused intermittent overheating. The oil level rised, and the oil looked like coffee with cream, in color. The sleeve was not slipped or cracked. A pressure test with the block, pre-warmed in a parts washer, at 80 PSI indicated the leak (most shops limit the pressure test to 50 PSI, but it was necessary to go higher to find the leak). I had the block sleeved with the top-hat liners. The machine shop, decked and line bored the block. Next, they bored the block with head plates installed and the block warm (this is done to prevent distortion of the cylinders).

agbuckle98

Mar 10, 2006
jims95 said:
Last year at 163,000 miles, my 3.9 had a leak on cylinder #3, that caused intermittent overheating. The oil level rised, and the oil looked like coffee with cream, in color. The sleeve was not slipped or cracked. A pressure test with the block, pre-warmed in a parts washer, at 80 PSI indicated the leak (most shops limit the pressure test to 50 PSI, but it was necessary to go higher to find the leak). I had the block sleeved with the top-hat liners. The machine shop, decked and line bored the block. Next, they bored the block with head plates installed and the block warm (this is done to prevent distortion of the cylinders).

And the results?

jims95

Apr 20, 2004
Upland, California
The engine runs great. No more overheating. The temperature gage has never gone above the normal mark since the rebuild.

Note: The heads were pressure tested too, to make sure they were not cracked.

stevo

May 4, 2004
Have to pressure test aluminum heads/blocks, can't magnaflux if its not iron (I'm pretty sure)

Steve

swede

Aug 27, 2007
az_max said:
Geeze, Rover, Buick, VW, Chevy.... That engine is Heinz 57.

And he was going for Rockershafts freom Volvo B16.
It doesn't say if he did at the end

Sign Guy

Sep 4, 2007
Has anyone actually pinned their liners? I've heard about this since I started researching Rovers years ago but I've yet to hear about anyone actually doing it. Is it just cheaper and better to go with top hat liners? I've got a block of unknown (questionable) history and don't have a ton of $$$ to throw at the project.

Thanks,
Bill

I am currently finishing an engine with pinned liners.

I used stainless steel socket head cap screws drilled for safety wire. 1/4-20X1". A hole was drilled through the block into the liner, the hole tapped, the screw inserted, measured, removed, cut to fit, cleaned and reinserted with red loctite. I'll finish the safety wiring perhaps later today-I finally got the ridges reamed earlier today.

To build this engine with top-hat liners would have required more than $1000. Pinning was about $100. For a block that had 150K miles on it and did not overheat, I feel confident this step will ensure no future problems.

Sign Guy

Sep 4, 2007
Just looked at the upper edge of the cylinders under a high powered jewelers loop. There is a small black line just at the edge that I assume is the tip of the liners. They are all at the same depth which is .30mm. Would that indicate that these have not slipped? Don't mean to seem cheap but $100 here and $100 there start to add up and as we all know you can spend an infinite amount of money on these things if you have it at your disposal (which I don't).

Thanks,
Bill

jeffro0502 said:
Are engines with top hat liners a lot less prone to head gasket failures?

Probably not. Top hat liners are used to insure that if the engine is overheated, it is less likely to leak coolant. Head gasket failures are more likely due to head bolt elongation and cylinder head warping.

Slipped liners are the result of overheating, not the cause.