My experience with RockAuto.com

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Well, I ordered $600 (which included $60 shipping) worth of brake parts from Rockauto for a 1995 D90 V8.
4 Cardone calipers
Front and rear Raybestos pads
Front Rotors
And was going to order a MC for another $150+.

When the order arrived the front pads didn't fit.

So I emailed RockAuto about returning them and they won't pay the return shipping of less than $7 saying their catalog lists them as for a 1995 D90 V8 with rear drum brakes and that is correct.

Even when I pointed out that the Raybestos web site says they are for a 4 Wheel disc D90, Rockauto says tough, they don't care, they go by their own web site. They say they've independantly verified their listing is correct. Of course, the way they "verified" it, they told me this on the phone, is by calling Raybestos, which apparently lists them in a catalog consumers can't see, as for '95 D90 V8 with rear drum. Rockauto doesn't care that that vechicle was never built or that the Raybestos web site lists them for a D90 with 4 wheel disc brakes. They say I ordered the wrong parts.

I told them when you do a part number seach at Rockauto for the Raybestos part it doesn't mention rear drum brakes. I told them that 1995 D90's with rear drum brakes were never built by Land Rover so in fact their web site is wrong and a reasonable consumer (IMO) would think it was a typo on the RockAuto web site. I mean, wouldn't the mfg have the correct info? It all fell on deaf ears, and eyes, since much of this exchange was via email.

So I'm going to return the entire order. Which means that, beause they don't want to pay $7 shipping for an item they list incorrectly, they are out:
  1. The sale for correct pads, which I'd have ordered from them in another brand.
  2. The entire rest of the sale
  3. $60 for the outbound shipping (my bank will be back charging them for the entire charge)
  4. About a $1000 order of other parts I was going to order from them (another complete brake set-up with 4 rotors, MC and clutch MC and slave and some other parts.)
  5. A return customer. (obviously I will never order from them again)
Aside from the really bad customer service, it just seems like rather dumb business sense. I can't imagine even writing it off as a $7 good will gesture would break them.

On the upside, AdvanceAuto.com will match RockAuto's prices, which admittedly are good, plus Advance gives free shipping on orders over $50, and I can return the cores locally.

I know a lot of people have ordered from Rockauto and are happy, but I thought it was worth posting my first time (and last time) experience with them.

Finally, I would say don't order Raybestos parts (or parts crossed from a Raybestos #) via mail order, because there's no telling what you will get. Personally, I probably will never buy Raybestos parts since this is partly their screw-up too.

edit. I also got the famous line from Rockauto, when I asked to talk to the supervisor's boss, "There is no one above him." :rofl:

Last edited:

lordkenyon

Oct 24, 2005
A
antichrist said:
[*]$60 for the outbound shipping (my bank will be back charging them for the entire charge)

The beauty of the charge back when used judiciously has really put some power back with the consumer. It's sadly becoming the only way to get companies to listen.

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
lordkenyon said:
The beauty of the charge back when used judiciously has really put some power back with the consumer. It's sadly becoming the only way to get companies to listen.
Only in this case they woudln't listen. When I listed for them what they were losing, they said, "Well, that's your choice."

nosivad_bor said:
damn thats the deal ive been looking for 66 bucks and no core thanks !
Well..if you really want to keep your old ones, yeah, good deal. But if it's because you just don't want to pay return shipping for the cores, you're better off at AdvanceAuto.com if you have an Advance Auto, Checker Auto Parts, Schuck's Auto Supply, Kragen Auto Parts, or Murray's Discount Auto Parts near you because you can return the cores locally and the calipers are only $43 for the Cardone from Advanceauto.com.
Also given that Raybestos and Rockauto think NAS D90's came with rear drum brakes, which takes a different front Cailper, caveat emptor.

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm doing disco to D90 conversion so i dont know if the disco calipers will excepted as cores. Seriously i wont buy from them based on how they treated you. Advanced Auto's regional distribution center is right in my backyard so they stock tons of good stuff and no shipping and open on Sunday !

lordkenyon

Oct 24, 2005
A
antichrist said:
Only in this case they woudln't listen. When I listed for them what they were losing, they said, "Well, that's your choice."

That's so unfortunate. It sounds like you got stuck talking to some mid-level nobody who probably just didn't want to admit any fault and as a result, lost hundreds of dollars in sales and now has resulted in bad press....ugh...

racerwad

Sep 9, 2005
tacoma, wa
yeah, it's too bad that they chose to do business with you this way. i've ordered some stuff from them all via the website and it's always been seamless. shipping confirmation as well as shipping itself was fast.

nevertheless, you can't get something for nothing and customer service is apparently what you lose. it's a shame.

andy

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
I only go there when I have to. I hate their stupid catalog, and I don't like clicking on the html version just to see things in a halfway decent manner.

The way I figure it, if someone doesn't have enough sense to design a proper website, they do not have enough sense to send me my parts.

What they do have is a more expansive selection than the other places on the net. As well, they are a real business. Most other sites are simply renamed from a single site. I won't order from any of them.

I don't care that all the parts come from the same place, if you aren't a real business, you aren't getting a dime of my money.

I'll stick with small enthusiast shops and Advance Auto Parts, thank you. At least I can get my hands around someone's neck at Advance. Besides, they give me a discount. Anything I can't get like this, I buy used or at a dealer. I refuse to give money to those assholes who have invaded the parts world with rebranded chinese garbage and 20 different sites to spread the bad word a bit thinner.

Cheers,

Kennith

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
i buy 80% from my local CarQuest 4 miles down the road. small shop run and owned by one person. i can get my fan clutch and find out who owns the '92 LWB parked behind the old shop at the same time. he also refers to me as the "Land Rover redneck". i feel so special.
CarQuest is owned by WorldPac now too, so even more warehouses and parts can arrive same day in some cases or no later than the next morning if ordered by 5pm.
it's like stepping back in time a bit with this little old shop, but i like that kind of service. it's like that old True Value with the old guys working in it.

i've always felt that CarQuest was a step up from Advance and the others. like their battery packs and other tools. pay a bit more, but they seem to be worth it.

Last edited:

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
antichrist said:
the calipers are only $43 for the Cardone from Advanceauto.com
Just to clarify. They are $43 because Advance will price match anyone else if you find another places regular price to be cheaper, for up to 30 days after your purchace. Unfortunately the brick and mortar store won't price match RockAuto, but I guess I can't really fault them there.

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I just got an email from RockAtuo
RockAuto said:
Thank you for being a www.RockAuto.com customer! To show our appreciation, we have a special discount for you.

Your discount code is:

snip

Thanks again for buying your auto parts at RockAuto!

Tom Taylor
VP Marketing
www.rockauto.com
service@rockauto.com
1-866-ROCKAUTO (1-866-762-5288)
(608) 661-1376
With a bit of searching on the internet I found Tom Taylor's email address (he's one of the brothers who founded the co.)

This was my reply:
Mr. Taylor,
My experience with RockAuto is one of the worst I've ever had with an online vendor.
Your web site has a listing error and when I tried to reolve it:
I had a customer service person refuse to answer a simple yes/no question (when I asked if they had the choice to make a good will decsision)
I was lied to by a cutomer service person. (saying the "Policy" web page states if there's a discrepancy between the RockAuto web page and the Mfg web page, the RockAuto page trumps)
I had customer service person try to insult my intelligence. (telling me, when I asked to speak to her supervisor's boss, "There is no one above him." She finally admitted this was not a true statement)

Since your customer no-service department refused to escalate the matter I've filed a complaint with the Madison Better Business Bureau.

I will never be ordering from RockAuto again, and am letting everyone I know the details of my experience with RockAuto. I've already had people respond that they won't shop with Rockauto because of my experience.
BTW, I was planning on ordering another $1000 worth of parts within the next month. AdvanceAuto.com will now get that business, in addition to the $550 amount of this order, since I'm returning everything I ordered from RockAuto.
All because RockAuto would not pay $7 return shipping on a set of brake pads that are listed incorrectly in your online catalog as compared to the Raybestos online catalog (which I see also happens to be wrong now that I have the pads in hand).

An extremely dissatisfied customer,

Tom Rowe

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Well, I got a reply from Tom Taylor. A long rambling reply not addressing any of the items in my email to him, or emails to customer service, which he claims to have read. Based on the content of his email, he must be the one who trains the customer "service" department.
I'll post it this weekend, it's good for a laugh.
It's a good thing I don't still live in Madison, WI.

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Here's Tom Taylor's reply
Hello Tom,

I am sincerely sorry for your bad experience ordering brake parts for
your Land Rover. It is our job to demonstrate to customers that we are
taking care of them and we failed to do that in your case.
No shit Sherlock.
I looked up your order, 777541, and saw Customer Service had made over
20 entries as they worked to verify our Raybestos part numbers and tried
to find additional part numbers that might be the right parts for your
particular model.
Interesting. In my very first email to them telling them of the error, I asked what pads would they suggest instead. That question was never answered until 4 or 5 exchanges later, when I asked again what front pads they suggest, and was told to try RAYBESTOS Part #PGD518AM, which are rear pads. :rolleyes:
Raybestos confirmed via telephone that their online
catalog incorrectly described the parts as fitting a Land Rover with
four disc brakes. They also found that the RockAuto catalog correctly
described the parts as fitting the 1995 (sic) Land Rover with front calipers and rear drums.
Except there is no such vechicle
Maybe sometime in the past a customer helped us discover an error in
Raybestos Land Rover data and we corrected the product description in
our catalog. Or maybe Raybestos accidentally loaded old data into their
own online catalog. I do not know how the Raybestos site and its data
are maintained so I can't say. I am glad to hear that our product
description was the correct one.

Rather than a concern over return shipping charges, I think you got the
impression we thought you did not know the difference between four wheel
disc brakes and front disc / rear drum.
WTF? Where the hell he deduced that from I've no idea, considering in nearly every communication I included mention of the return shipping charges as the issue. Well, that and the fact their web site is wrong. :banghead:
Customer Service's notes do not
indicate they thought that and I am sorry if we gave you that
impression. I am sorry we did not come across as your advocate trying
to find the correct brakes for your vehicle. Customer Service was
calling Raybestos, but maybe from your end it looked like nothing was
happening. Some companies have layers of customer service. You start
out talking to someone in India and then after some struggle you
eventually may talk to someone who really knows the products. RockAuto
does not have tiers of customer service people. If Customer Service had
passed your brake order off to me they would have had to spoon feed me
instructions on how to call Raybestos, etc. You were talking to our
best people from the start and they were trying to help even if they
communicated poorly with you.
I really wouldn't brag about the customer service dept if I were him. I've actually had better service from India.
We also did not think you were foolish for looking at the Raybestos
site. It was logical for you to compare the RockAuto catalog to the
Raybestos online catalog. I probably also would have guessed the data
on the Raybestos site would be right. It would have been great if you
had called RockAuto Customer Service to confirm the part numbers before
ordering, but who would have guessed the Raybestos site would be wrong.
I probably would believe the Sears site rather than Ovenparts.com if I
was ordering a part for a Sears brand oven.

I can sympathize with your frustration at trying to complete the brake
job on your Land Rover. I am sorry Raybestos and RockAuto were unable
to help. I enjoy working on my own cars, but every once in a while
something comes up that makes me pull my hair out. Like the power
steering pump on the '67 Lincoln that was mounted on the front of the
crankshaft and also powered the hydraulic windshield wipers. I hope
you have been able to track down the parts to complete the brake job.

Best Regards,
Tom Taylor
Ummm..no, I was pulling my hair out about RockAuto. The guy is a politician, "I feel your pain."
Anyway, if you compare his response to my email, you'll see he pretty much ignored everything I said. And this guy is VP of marketing. :rofl: