another follow up thread - GM Power Steering pump conversion

justinhaaga

Oct 27, 2004
Syracuse, UT
There has been some discussion on doing this conversion and I just wanted to add my 2 cents on it.

The part # is 20874 and can be had at most of your local parts stores. It comes off a 1988+ Chevy S10 Pickup (4cyl). This is a direct bolt up and the holes line right up. The major difference is a nipple which is L shape on the rover pump is a straight shape on the GM pump, this nipple connects to a hose that goes to the reservoir. To make it work you must buy 3 ft of hose and loop it over the top of the pump just beneath the radiator hose. This will make it so it does not kink.

Other tools you?ll need is a pulley puller to remove the pulley attach to rover pump and place it on the GM pump.

I am not doing a full write up of this (may already be one). My impression has been that it provides much more power for turning, it?s a big difference. The pump does whine slightly. Your avg DD would probably be better off with the regular rover pump (cuz it whines a little and you?ll probably bitch), but any serious offroader would greatly benefit doing this conversion.

Purpose of upgrade:
To gain higher flow pump to increase steering capability

Required Tools:
basic hand tools
pulley puller (rentalable at parts store)

Tips:
Do this while the engine is cool. Buy 3 feet of hose for the hose going to the reservoir. Pretty straight forward swap. Take out old unit and replace with new.

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Is the nipple for the supply line that long? Seems like you could just use a 90 degree L and more or less route the hose the normal way.

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
justinhaaga said:
Your avg DD would probably be better off with the regular rover pump (cuz it whines a little and you?ll probably bitch), but any serious offroader would greatly benefit doing this conversion.
:rofl: Anyone who bitches about Land Rovers making noises sure bought the wrong car.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
ptschram said:
From what I've heard from a gentleman who has perfected this swap, the only risk is the right angle fitting and engines with distributors. Otherwise, it's pretty much a bolt-in swap.

You sure it wasn't me? I've posted that already on this board in a few places.

90 degree compression fitting on one end and a barb fitting on another works fine. the kinked line was unacceptable to me, but I'm picky like that.

or just buy a rebuilt 92 wv jetta pump. its the same zf pump as rover but its half the price since the sheetmetal bracket on the back isn't included.

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpag...ion=Power+Steering+Pump+w/o+Reservoir+-+Remfd

mbogo

Jul 2, 2007
Texas
Thanks for the brilliant info! My Power Steering pump went out day before yesterday (on my Disco 1) and I couldn't find a LR one out here in West Texas. They had the 20-874 at the local parts house. The pump came with a lifetime warranty and was only $71.00. I got a ps pump pulley puller from Harbour freight tools for $6.99 and the hose was about $10.00. It fit perfect and is now on my 97 disco. I know some folks thought it was a little noiser than the oem but I can't really tell over the din of the rest of my 170,000 mi rover:)

For kicks (and to show my wife how wise I am for spending so much time reading all the old posts on the dweb), I called the nearest stealership over 3.5 hours away. They said it would take a week to get me the part and would run around $845.00 plus I would have to pay to have it shipped where I am at...:ack: I asked if it was taking so long because it was being delivered by a rover:D I don't think he got the joke...

Thanks and Cheers

scottjal

Mar 16, 2006
Nashua, NH
scottjal.ath.cx
Can I assume this GM 20874 PS pump will work on DII's a well?

Sounds like this might be a nice upgrade to stock especially as I am thinking about a Mile Marker Hydraulic in my future as well.

Question on the straight nupple though, is it threaded and replaceable with a 90° one or not? Sounds like it is on the low pressure suction side anyway?

C Ross

Aug 24, 2004
Oklahoma
scottjal said:
Can I assume this GM 20874 PS pump will work on DII's a well?

Sounds like this might be a nice upgrade to stock especially as I am thinking about a Mile Marker Hydraulic in my future as well.

Question on the straight nupple though, is it threaded and replaceable with a 90? one or not? Sounds like it is on the low pressure suction side anyway?

Hey Scott, did you get any positive D2 replies to your post? My Wifes D2 pwr steering barfed on our driveway two days ago.

Thanks,

C Ross

flyfisher11

May 25, 2005
Wolf Laurel NC
C Ross said:
Hey Scott, did you get any positive D2 replies to your post? My Wifes D2 pwr steering barfed on our driveway two days ago.

Thanks,

C Ross

Don't think Scott is around here anymore but bump for an answer.

MUSKYMAN

Apr 19, 2004
OverBarrington IL
the DII's use a different pump then the D1's so this would not be the exact same swap.

if the DII did not have ACE then you could source a D1 mount and run this set up but if it were me and I was going that off the charted path I would be installing the PSE system alex and keith have sorted out instead. That way you end up with a bigger stronger pump that produces a ton more volume.

MUSKYMAN

Apr 19, 2004
OverBarrington IL
yes

alex has posted the mounting plates in PDF...print it out...trace it onto some steel...cut it out...bolt it on.

I am going that way at some point as well as adding a hydro assist system to turn the wheels.

I run a hydro winch so the volume and pressure of the bigger pump will help that as well.

one other sweet part is the pump will also run a GM style hydro boost brake system for killer brakes.