Lift advice please, too far?

Too far on the lift?

• Total voters

scottjal

Mar 16, 2006
Nashua, NH
scottjal.ath.cx
I did an RTE 2" lift this weekend and on my truck it turns out to be closer to 2.6". At the same time I replaced the factory vibration isolators and added a second set of factory isolators (ANR2938) which look to be about 5/16" with load on them. My thinking was this will take up what lift I loose with the winch and rock sliders that I will eventually add, plus it will take care of a little more vibration that I will have with new tires. With all that said and done it came out to a 3" lift total in the front, a bit more than I was expecting. I adjusted the rear SLS to be about 2.8" at my first guess and that was close enough for me so I left it like that, truck appears to be sitting level. I did OME 107 and 108's.

Now I have two problems:

1. I have a very minor almost imperceptible drive line vibration. I have read here that this sort of thing starts with a 3" lift and stock shafts so I guess I can confirm that. This doesn't really concern me I guess.

2. I think, but I am not sure, that I am topping out the rear shocks on speed bumps?? There is a thud coming off the speed bump when the axle should be dropping before the body comes down. Could just be the stuff I have in back bouncing with the firmer shocks and I will investigate that tonight after work. Is this possible with the N108's at close to 3" lift?

Is there a right side up for the RTE springs? I know they are the same L&R but I didn't see any difference upside down so I just put them in so the part number was right side up. Hope I got that right.

I think I still had the factory shocks at 125k miles! I could definitely feel a difference side by side pushing on them with my hands. Plus the factory shocks would not extend on their own, are they gas shocks? If so they had more than lost their gas charge as they would collapse under their own weight if left upright.

Herkvet

Dec 16, 2004
Yep, it sounds like you've exceeded shock travel.
IMHO-take the isolators out and readjust the rear.

scottjal

Mar 16, 2006
Nashua, NH
scottjal.ath.cx
I was all set to rebuild both drive shafts with new U joints and while I was unbolting the front shaft I noticed a grease nipple on the front U joint. I have heard here many times that stock shafts don't have that so this must have been replaced sometime. Of course I don't know exactly when but it looks new. Anyway I decided to hold off on it, further if I didn't know the trucks noises so well there would be no way I could hear this as being abnormal, really I wasn't worried but I thought I would mention it.

Found this on EE's site:
N108 - 14.5" compressed and 23.0" extended.
Sitting level I measure 21.75" center to center for those rear shocks, that has to be my problem.

BUT: that puts the shocks median height at 18.25" and I would have to lower the rear down 3.5" to get there? What the heck is going on here? N108 is not for use on a lifted truck or are they supposed to operate closer to the extended limit?

D

D Chapman

The N108 are greared more towards an OME 2" life, which usally only nets 1.5".

The RTE lift is not really giving you a 3" lift. Rather, your stock spring have settled3/4" and your new isolater popped up up an additional 1/2". If you measure your spring perches theis will tell the whole story.

If you're hell bent on keeping the 108's, get the lowered shock mounts fomr either 4x4ag, RTE, or EE.

Ooh, I see grease zerks therefor I don't need to replace the universals. (insert disgusted shaking head smilie here)

How many miles have you put on the vehicle? Obviously, you have that many miles AT LEAST on the old joints. They are cheap and if they fail, bad things will happen the best you can hope for is vibes.

Replace them and see what happens to your vibes.

scottjal

Mar 16, 2006
Nashua, NH
scottjal.ath.cx
Ah crap. I bought NAPA U joints and I must not have checked closely when I got them. I have one genuine Precision 344 joint (the one I looked at when I bought them) and three GMB japan POS's. All four boxes are marked Japan too. Guess I need to visit rockauto.com as I am a good year past the return date on these.

D Chapman said:
If you're hell bent on keeping the 108's, get the lowered shock mounts from either 4x4ag, RTE, or EE.

Will those fit on a DII?? Thought those were DI only. I realized that when I take the extra isolator out and select the extended ride height for the SLS I will be right back where I am now.