power steering question

disco_drum

Jan 27, 2006
Woodstock, GA
So this weekend i was wheeling at Tellico OHV and my power steering went out. It has done this before, but it always comes back. This time it did not come back. Every time it has happened it has been after I rev the engine to high RPMs. I think it may be a stuck valve or something in the pump. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be. I do not want to start throwing parts at it. What does everyone recommend I do?

BaldEagle

Sep 13, 2004
Atlanta, GA
assuming you've checked the fluid and its there....there arent any valves per se in the pump. it may have air in the line, mine had air in it one time, but reving it hi is what fixed it. there isnt really anything servicable on the pump. you might just have to throw a pump at it. for what its worth, i buy used pumps becuae they are so cheap compared to a new one, you can change them 3 times before you pay for a new one.

BaldEagle

Sep 13, 2004
Atlanta, GA
disco_drum said:
should i try will tillery or somewhere else? who has the best prices on used one

will is the only person i know or reccommend for used. i got my last one from john miller. it went poorly. your mileage may vary. wait i just remembered you can get one alot cheaper from autozone or something. its for a chevy astro van. do a search, it may be in the parts page. id do that before used

mightymg

Mar 6, 2005
Clinton Ut
go to napa and do the GM conversion, its 70 bucks and has more pressure then stock, and it fits right into the stock d1 housing, d2s im not so sure about...

D

don_r6

mightymg said:
go to napa and do the GM conversion, its 70 bucks and has more pressure then stock, and it fits right into the stock d1 housing, d2s im not so sure about...

any more info on this? I'm looking to change my steering pump as well. It's making an awful sound...may be on its way out.

So the Chevy Astro van and GM steering pumps work?

D

Darren M.

don_r6 said:
any more info on this? I'm looking to change my steering pump as well. It's making an awful sound...may be on its way out.

Are you looking to replace a box or a pump?

D

don_r6

I'm looking to replace the pump. But as for the box, that is down the road because there's definetly a leak as well and I'm losing about 1-2 inches of power steering fluid each month. I've checked the hoses and they're fine.

D

Darren M.

" for what its worth, i buy used pumps becuae they are so cheap compared to a new one, you can change them 3 times before you pay for a new one."

Used parts are good, but if you can afford new, then use new. With used parts, you don't know how used a part really is. Sometimes you get a used part and you win the $10,000, sometimes you get the Whammy. Remember, used parts still cost money to put in, unless you are putting them in yourself. You don't want to be shelling out $80-$100 an hour every time you have to replace a used part, if you don't have to.

Last edited:

mightymg

Mar 6, 2005
Clinton Ut
don_r6 said:

im not sure about vehicle specific, IM pretty sure its a remote res 94 chev s-10, the napa number is NSP 20874, on a d1 it goes right in the stock housing and the rover pully works on it too! plus the pressure is awesome, I did this conversion for james gall in moab in the campground, and he could turn his 35s with ease, even locked up. Its def worth doing...

May 6, 2006
Mtn Home, Idaho
www.cardomain.com
mightymg said:
im not sure about vehicle specific, IM pretty sure its a remote res 94 chev s-10, the napa number is NSP 20874, on a d1 it goes right in the stock housing and the rover pully works on it too! plus the pressure is awesome, I did this conversion for james gall in moab in the campground, and he could turn his 35s with ease, even locked up. Its def worth doing...

I just put one on order at the local Napa store, since mine seems to have a small leak. can't beat the $70+30 core.

May 6, 2006
Mtn Home, Idaho
www.cardomain.com
nah, it hasn't got here yet, but hoping this week it will show up. I'll let ya know when it does. I'm thinking, middle of May I'm going to buy RT's kit, but for now I'm riding on the old TruTrac's again.

BaldEagle

Sep 13, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Darren M. said:
" for what its worth, i buy used pumps becuae they are so cheap compared to a new one, you can change them 3 times before you pay for a new one."

Used parts are good, but if you can afford new, then use new. With used parts, you don't know how used a part really is. Sometimes you get a used part and you win the $10,000, sometimes you get the Whammy. Remember, used parts still cost money to put in, unless you are putting them in yourself. You don't want to be shelling out $80-$100 an hour every time you have to replace a used part, if you don't have to.

do i sound like someone who is paying $80-$100 an hour for service? besides the chevy cross reference, a ps pump from AB is currently $369.95 + shipping. a power steering pump takes me 45 minutes to change tops. so spending $100 and getting a year or two out of it makes sense. not to mention, rover ps pumps are very poor and they fail alot on the trail, which is where i break them. again cheaper, easy to change parts makes sense.

and comparing it to reusing headgaskets 20 times is pretty moronic. :rofl:

but i'll refrain from offering advice, which i think it was I who reccommended the chevy thing. just take it to the dealer.