P38 Reliabity- trail

pdxrovermech

Jul 3, 2009
Portland, OR
KyleT said:
so, you've never worked on a RRS or LR3? Those suck. Get back to me when you have to replace a swaybar on a RRS with the active roll stabilization... you have to seperate the body from the frame and try to squeeze it out.... No fun, anyhting on a P38 is cake sompared to that stuff. :ack:

But atleast those look good.

RVRSRVC

May 7, 2004
Elizabethtown, PA
www.roverlab.com
I don't know if I could do it. A P38 that is. I had a customer last week who went to the post office, parked in the Fire Lane, shut the door, came back out to a no-start and the alarm going off everytime you touched the ignition or opened the door. It was a faulty latch, easily fixed in the driveway of my shop, but how would one deal with it miles, many miles, from home?
I can hear one in the shop now, cycling it's door locks!
Congrats on your good fortune!

KyleT

Mar 28, 2007
Fort Worth, TEXAS
RVRSRVC said:
I don't know if I could do it. A P38 that is. I had a customer last week who went to the post office, parked in the Fire Lane, shut the door, came back out to a no-start and the alarm going off everytime you touched the ignition or opened the door. It was a faulty latch, easily fixed in the driveway of my shop, but how would one deal with it miles, many miles, from home?

get it to unarm then unplug the latch, i had to do it :banghead::banghead: got me home to the latch I had been putting off installing....

pdxrovermech

Jul 3, 2009
Portland, OR
ptschram said:
The diesel Freelander is a fantastic truck!

Otherwise, I agree. DII close second.

Really? For some reason I've grown more fond of the D2 over the years. If you can get one with a good ABS system and a good block then its a pretty sweet rig. I realize thats a big if though. Especially the block thing. I'm more confident in a D2 that has 150K on it than a D2 with 60K on it with new headgaskets. Plus I think a well accessorized D2 has a nice look right up there with a RRC.

BDM

May 23, 2005
OR
Pardon me, maybe I missed something here, but how does 3 engine replacements constitute a reliable rig?

Rover Mac

Feb 7, 2006
Los Angeles
spaces.msn.com
Re: P38 Reliability- trail

RVRSRVC said:

I do not superlock the RR, and if the door locks get "lazy" replace them before this happens, and make sure your batteries in the remote are good.
I have read somewhere that using diagnostics you can deactivate the alarm and security system which if anyone has actually done let me know please

Rover Mac

Feb 7, 2006
Los Angeles
spaces.msn.com

BDM said:
Pardon me, maybe I missed something here, but how does 3 engine replacements constitute a reliable rig?

Same potential issues with any 4.0 or 4.6 LR V8
First engine blew its coolant and overheated, not while i was driving, engine was toast just the same as any Rover V8, second engine was second hand, no warranty, changed it myself, and almost immediately top hose pressurized, and gas in engine coolant indicating a possible slipped liner or head gaskets, ran it for a while, changed the head gaskets, suspected a slipped liner and still had the same issues. So replaced it with another second hand engine after having the slipped liner confirmed on the second engine.
Still did quite a few trail miles before engine # 3
Does this answer your question ?

Of course if time and $ permitted and with the benefit of hindsight rebuilding a 4.6 with top hat liners would have been the way to go.

Rover Mac said:
I have read somewhere that using diagnostics you can deactivate the alarm and security system which if anyone has actually done let me know please

Easily done if you have a computer that is able to write to the BeCM. The status of things like central door locking and the alarms is not in the vehicle-specific portion of the BeCM and easily accessed.

Rover Mac

Feb 7, 2006
Los Angeles
spaces.msn.com

ptschram said:
Easily done if you have a computer that is able to write to the BeCM. The status of things like central door locking and the alarms is not in the vehicle-specific portion of the BeCM and easily accessed.

Thank you, now just a matter of convincing the tech that this is possible

BDM

May 23, 2005
OR
Yes. These engines seem to go for awhile as long as you don't overheat them. I guess the real test of reliability is your confidence in taking it on the many trails you have shown us here.

BDM said:
Yes. These engines seem to go for awhile as long as you don't overheat them. I guess the real test of reliability is your confidence in taking it on the many trails you have shown us here.

I was on the phone with Chris Crane of RPi last week. He was most adamant that if we keep the cooling system in top knick, AND tow in sport mode, we should have nothing to worry about. He is convinced that the blocks are good as-is, but that Americans seem to have a penchant for ignoring cooling issues when they begin and by the time we do something, it's too late. Well, that and the fact that in the P38, the fuel map is pretty poor and can lead to overheating problems.

He was very negative about top-hatting and begrudgingly admitted that I was right pinning the liners on my 4.2. At that, I had to ocnvince him that it had never been overheated or otherwise abused.

rover4x4

Apr 21, 2004
North Carolina, Raleigh
ptschram said:
I was on the phone with Chris Crane of RPi last week. He was most adamant that if we keep the cooling system in top knick, AND tow in sport mode, we should have nothing to worry about. He is convinced that the blocks are good as-is, but that Americans seem to have a penchant for ignoring cooling issues when they begin and by the time we do something, it's too late. Well, that and the fact that in the P38, the fuel map is pretty poor and can lead to overheating problems.

He was very negative about top-hatting and begrudgingly admitted that I was right pinning the liners on my 4.2. At that, I had to ocnvince him that it had never been overheated or otherwise abused.

Could you talk a little more on pinning the liners? I am not clear what this involves.

rover4x4 said:
Could you talk a little more on pinning the liners? I am not clear what this involves.

I should say search as I've posted pictures.

Essentially, one drills a hole through the block below the point where the piston skirts ride. This hole is tapped and a socket head cap screw threaded in, ground flush and loc-tited in place. Mine are safety-wired as well.

Rover Mac

Feb 7, 2006
Los Angeles
spaces.msn.com
Update.

160k Miles, 1997 RR
First of all thanks for all the dweb technical advice and support over the years

http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj89/CelticRover/Land Rover Trail Photographs/

Security settings for alarm set to "Australian Market"

Passenger interior and exterior door release failed, had to break up old latch inside the door, without breaking the window.

Expansion tank nipple on the bottom of the plastic tank leaked under pressure, replaced expansion tank.

Last new radiator from Atlantic British lasted 2 years before leaking.

Reconnected valve cover breather pipe (must have left it off after doing the head gaskets)

Cruise control stopped working again

Heater core and O rings, I have done this job twice now and found it a real PITA, this time replaced the heater core with a metal Audi version, and ran the heater hoses where the alumunum pipes and O rings had been, no more O rings.:bigok:

Exhaust manifold on passenger side is ticking again,

Replaced original catalytic converters and 2 x O2 sensors, reset adaptive values and MPG increased by 2 mpg.

Replaced driver side window regulator again

Replaced my MIA Southdown rear diff guard

The plastic "thingy" by the fuel filler cap in the wheel arch which captures fuel tank vapors on pre Adv EVAP, is leaking again. It took a hit under maximum articulation going through the Golden Crack on Golden Spike, and was repaired with JB weld and has lasted a couple of years.

Replaced front radius arm suspension bushings, and track rod.

Replaced valve cover gaskets

Transfer case would not shift from low to high after running trails in Moab on my way to Colorado, removed shift motor, turned spigot and reinstalled shift motor. Replacing the shift motor did not solve the problem, until I replaced the computer under the passenger seat.

The viscous coupling seized after running trails in Mojave, the weekend before the NR. Sourced a low(er) mileage replacement transfer case and it is possible (not easy) to swap out in the driveway with one person.

Tugela

May 21, 2007
Seattle
This is an interesting progression to follow. I just went on a trail drive with a stock P38 last weekend. Even with its nearly bald Michelin XPC tires it made it over all the terrain that a modified Disco did (with one exception where it needed some traction mats on a greasy, rocky climb). For all their peculiarities I think the P38 is an underrated truck. I see them do well off road and think they are alright, but then I walk past my neighbor's P38 whose air suspension is sitting on the bump stops and get a sense of perspective.

pdxrovermech

Jul 3, 2009
Portland, OR
Passenger interior and exterior door release failed, had to break up old latch inside the door, without breaking the window.

i just had to do the same thing earlier this week. i hadn't run into before and when i went to get a good used latch from one of our parts trucks it had the same problem..

Rover Mac

Feb 7, 2006
Los Angeles
spaces.msn.com
After 14 years and 200k miles my Range Rover has been "compassionately euthanized " by http://www.facebook.com/rover.restorations :applause:

Many truly memorable trips, and never failed to make it home, (always a sign of a successful trip to return in the same vehicle I left in :) ).
Thank you faithful friend, RIP.

photo1-13_zps60f28f21.jpg
[/IMG]

1f8c7650.jpg

NationalRallyGoldenSpike182.jpg

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Rover Mac said:
Ownership experiance over last 13 months and 20k miles - including aprox 1500 off road trail miles. The P38 does not have the best reputaton for reliability and off road ability ( trying not to jinx myself ) but for my purposes it has been great, especially with the help of D-web archieved technical advice which has been invaluable, as well as providing the motivaton to "feel the love" on those late nights in the garage. I have owned the 97 P38 since is was a year old, primarily as a grocery getter, and occassionally for sking and camping. Last year at 98k the engine was replaced with a used 4.6 and i thought i would cover my reliability/ maintenance issues encountered during the last year. Maybe even encourage a few others to use their Rovers more off road. (in 0000 trail miles apart from LR events i only ever encountered one other Rover, a new RR on Coyote Canyon, Anza Borrego. IMO the trails i completed could have been done in any stock Disco or RR. I did several hundred trail miles before i even started modifying the truck. Replaced the air springs with OME shocks & springs when the air suspenson failed and i drove home 300 miles on the bumpstops. CEL(intermitant missfire) which took forever to pinpoint turned out to be a worn crank shaft possiton sensor caused by damged teeth on the flywheel. not before i replaced the coil pack, plugs and Ht leads. Only afterwards did i find out several others had experianced the same problem. Brake accumulator replaced Rear silencer rusted, so i removed it, only slight increase in noise level Steering damper replaced twice- (don't even bother with the Rancho item, and AB advertises a Bilstein unit but none in stock) trail damage both times. Fuel pump replaced as a precauton at 100k , (fuel gauge has not worked since which is unfortunate as i have a fuel tank guard and removing them is a pain for one person and a trolley jack- going to cut an access panel when i get round to it) Replaced alternator, when on its last legs it produced some very intresting warning lights and poor running- used a booster pack / charger to boost the battery on the drive back from Utah. This killed the battery and i now have a Odessey 2150. Sunroof mechanism failed, interior door handle release broke, fuel filler switch and clip both failed. Broke 2 sets of sway bar dissconnects, now using much stronger JKS items model PN 3100 I destroyed the rear diff carrier in Moab and replaced it with a stronger carrier and TruTrack LSD ( which i would now like to replace with an ARB and put the TruTrack in the front axle) I would also like to install a LT-230 Transfer case and would appreciate any advice on installing one in a P38. Belts, hoses, thermostat and radiator replaced as a precautionary meassure. Easier to do at home rather than on the trail. Check the short hose to the fuel tank filler as mine had deteriorated badly- (of course its a unique LR hose diameter and not available at the local parts store) Brake pads and rotors replaced, rear caliper was leaking and replaced. Brake hoses are now stainless steel extended items. Engine oil changed 7 times, axle & gearbox oil twice, air filter changed 7 times. The stock air intake is less than ideal and i really hope someone brings out a raised air intake. Fuel filter and spark plugs changed twice. Tires - stock michelins were surprisingly good off road, tried some Mickey Thompson Baja Claw 30" bias ply tires, great off road, but difficult to balance, caused steering vibraton and then i managed 2 flats in 30 minutes in Death Valley, and to cap it off i slammed the tail gate shut and put the high lift handle through the window. I now run 285/75 R16 which do rub a little. I have a set of 19" RR street tires, take off's - cheaper than 4 new tires. ( although i have not used them in 6 months) I expected some drive train vibraton issues with the lift, but each truck seems to be different in this regard, i have been fortunate. The handling is definitley worse, but a compromise i can live with. Issues i still have to address : sagging headliner, inoperative cruise control, alarm fault ( moton sensor), washer hoses/ jets all round (headlamp, windscreen, rear tailgate ), oil leak from pressure switch/ relief valve - requires new engine front cover. Most serious is exhaust gas in the coolant, no overheating yet, crossing my fingers that it is a head gasket issue -which i now view as a maintenance item- rhopefully not an issue with the block. Anyway i'll find out when i do a top end overhaul. Scariest on road moment- shredding a rear tire at 80mph on the way to the Solihull event in Moab.Scrariest off road moment- having a motorcycle ridden by a LAPD officer hit the Rover head on, rider flew over the hood. Fortunately no serious injuries, gave me a chance to practice my first aid.Best trails to date - Moab Most difficult obstacle - The squeeze on Pinyon Mountain Road Most dangerous, attempting to recover a H1 which had slid off the trail in Arrowhead, snow and ice, very slippery, nearly pulled the rover over the edge, only saved by having a recovery strap anchored to a tree- i now also have chains. It took the help of 2 jeeps to get the hummer back on the trail.Best trip - Baja Mexico following part of the Baja 1000 route.Most annoying- being complemented on my Land Cruiser.For my purposes the P38 is close to the ideal Rover. I have some experiance with most other models. I am not blinded to the trucks limitations and faults, but for the trails i did in the last 13 months it has been great. Even modified it still makes a great interstate cruiser, comfortable for 3 people plus a dog and all the gear, yet still does okay on the variety of trails i enjoy. Mechanically relatively straight forward, GEMS is almost manageable, solid axels and coil springs. Not everyones ideal Rover, but regardless i really like the P38 and it has always got me home without resorting to a flat bed. (so far that is)Trails completed in last 13 months, a lot of soft roading, no hard core/ extreme trails. Estimated at 1500 plus miles photos at spaces.msn.com/conalmack Liebre Mtn trail 30 miles, Grass Mtn 20 miles, Santa Clara Divide 15 miles, Rincon Shortcut 25 miles, Pinyon Ridge 10 miles, Cleghorn Ridge 14 miles, SugarPine Mtn Trail 16 miles, Willow Creek 10 miles, Holcomb Valley 25 miles, Ord Mtns 30 miles, Daggett Wash 15 miles, Rodman Mtns 40 miles, Main Divide Rd 25 miles, Palomar Divide Road 20 miles, Santa Ysabel Creek 10 miles, Grapevine Canyon 15 miles, Coyote Canyon 26 miles, Fonts Point 10 miles. Tahoe National Forest Bowman Mtn Trail 20 miles, Saddleback Mtn 23.5 miles, Sierra Buttes 19 miles. Colorado SCLR trip to Moab - Bull canyon 8.7 miles, Long Canyon 7.5 miles, Gemini Brdges 13 miles. Colorado guided trip Bill Burke Flat Top Wilderness 2 days aprox 75 miles, Breakenridge and Leadville trails unsure of mileage. Big Pine Flat Trail 20 miles, 2N17X 2 miles, Pilot Rock 9 miles, Willow Creek 8 miles, Fish Canyon 13 miles, Bismark Canyon 4 miles, John Bull 7 miles, Pinyon Mtn Rd 30 miles, Clark Summit 30 miles, Cottonwood Canyon 45 miles. Solihull event Moab - Metal Masher 22 miles, Poison Spider 12 miles, Hells Revenge 9 miles, Steel Bender 10 miles. Sandstone Canyon 35 miles, Arroyo Seco del Diablo Trail 20 miles, Red Canyon 13 miles, Bradshaw Trail 80 miles, Mojave Road 125 miles, Cima Dome 19 miles, Grass valley 55 miles, Trona Pinnacles 30 miles, Mengal Pass 55 miles x2 =110 miles, Pleasant Canyon 25 miles, Titus Canyon 25 miles, Cerro Gordo Rd 25 miles. South Coast ridge Road 35 miles, Pismo Beach Sand Highway 15 miles. Bates Canyon 7 miles, Sierra madre Road 60 miles, Buckhorn Ridge 8 miles, Nordhoff Ridge Trail 27.5 miles, Cuyama Peak 25 miles, Kohen Lake 20 miles, Rancheria Rd 30 miles, Solo Peak Rd 12 miles, Buck Rd 4 miles, Buck Rock fire Lookout Trail 12 miles, Cherry Falt trail 10 miles, whitaker forest trail 4 miles, Deliah Fire Lookout Trail, Davis Flat 16 miles, Piute Mtn Rd 30 miles, Jawbone Canyon 30 miles. Two Day training Bill Burke Anza Borrego 47 miles. SCLR Baja 3 day trip aprox 180 off road miles. Mileages aproximate but i think it comes out to over 1500 trail miles.

After 6 years... I fixed it for you.

Pretty cool you kept with it that long.

Poor Rover.

I shall try to keep my '01 H&H as stock and as pristine as possible.

Last edited: