Fan Removal Advice

B

Brad

The Workshop Manual reccomends the following for removing the fan:
Remove viscous fan using tool LRT-12-093
and tool LRT-12-094.

Does anyone know if there are standard tools that would work here?

I found substitute tools on DIFFLOCK, but with shipping to USA it will be around 100 USD.
Does anyone that has done this without the special tools have any advice here?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
B

Brad

GREAT,,, Thanks for the help. I have the strap wrench and a adjustable wrench that should be able to open that wide. If not I will get one. That has got to be cheaper than buying the custom tools.

Jaime

Apr 29, 2004
NJ
I used a 12 " adjustable wrench on mine (D1) and hit the handle repeatedly with a piece of wood. This creates an action like an impact wrench, so it will loosen the nut without turning the fan.

Joey

Apr 19, 2004
Liberty Township, Ohio
If your local NAPA loans out tools, I know they carry the right size, I remove mine every winter... Saves gas and you don't need it during the cold months.

S

Steve83

I use the big thin wrench (special tool) for the clutch nut, but I use a normal pry bar (~30") jammed in the pulley bolt heads to keep the pump from turning. The wrench at the front holds the prybar rearward in the bolt heads so it doesn't pop out.

Morpheus

Oct 5, 2004
Just toom mine off yesterday.only used a 12" adjustable.and a hockey stick. mine WAS reverse threads. so I put the wrench on it so the end of the handle was sticking straight up and hit it once good with the hockey stick. came right off.

alex

Apr 29, 2004
Libertyville, IL
I've always used an air chisel with a dull bit on the nut flat to loosen mine. A long screwdriver or prybar and hammer work well also.

B

Brad

Thanks for all the info folks.
Does anyone happen to know the actual size of that nut?
Jen thinks it might be 42mm.
:confused:

E

EXPetrush

pretty sure its 42.. that Ford fan cluch tool sold @ advance auto is perfect ($19) .. you need to pry a long screw driver into the nuts on pulley & use a hammer... you won't get enough grip on it to brute strength it... also remember its reverse thread.

Lutzgaterr

Apr 23, 2004
LUTZ, Florida
yet another approach, rubber strap-wrench around the fan pulley. That will keep it from spinning and it costs maybe $5 or so. That has always been my route.

B

Brad

Ok, gang,, just got back from AutoZone with a kit that includes a "fan clutch nut wrench"
(1-7/16", (36mm) flat wrench) and a "fan pulley holding wrench" (2-1/4", (57mm) flat wrench). The kit was the one earlier recommended in the thread and is intended for Ford trucks.

Tried the "fan clutch nut wrench" (1-7/16", (36mm) flat wrench) on the nut and it seems to be the one!

I will be tearing into this thing Saturday. I would do it here, but I have a big workshop on the farm. The neighborhood association frowns on shade tree mechanic work here. :D

Thanks again for all the help!! :) :)