Water pump dead, need help getting the fan off!

enonz98lr

Sep 12, 2005
Powhatan, VA
so my water pump died yesterday and im trying to get the fan off of the pump so i can reach all the bolts. i looked at the book and im doing what it says but the fan wont come off, its a 98 D1 with a 4.0. does anyone know if it could have welded itself on when it died? how can i get it off or am i screwed:banghead:

BaldEagle

Sep 13, 2004
Atlanta, GA
you need a fan clutch tool. if its the first time its come off it will be very tight. just keep at it. once you remove it the first time, it should be easy to remove with regular giant channel locks

BaldEagle

Sep 13, 2004
Atlanta, GA
yes, but you'll problt need a fan clutch tool. you can try holding the pulley with pliers and turn the nut with something, just dont damage the pulley

B

byronAU

BaldEagle said:
yes, but you'll problt need a fan clutch tool. you can try holding the pulley with pliers and turn the nut with something, just dont damage the pulley
Apparently you can wedge an old deflated tennis ball in beween the pulley and the belt on the correct side to stop it turning and then using the correct special tool;)......never tried it myself yet, but met a guy who's used the method for years!:cool:

snodog

Apr 20, 2004
The way I remove mine is with a rubber strap wrench to seize the pulley,
then I use a large cresent wrench,give it a whack, nut spins right off.

enonz98lr

Sep 12, 2005
Powhatan, VA
yeah i got pissed at it cuz the strap wrench was a no go, tennis ball no go, BFW(big fu**king wrench) no go. so just spazed out busted all the fan blades off and was able to get all the bolts out:banghead: when in doubt get a bigger hammer, thanks for the help guys i think it has just welded itself due to the presence of metal shavings:ack:

enonz98lr

Sep 12, 2005
Powhatan, VA
look, where i am going to school im lucky to get a oil filter that will fit my rover much less a FAN CLUTCH TOOL! look man im just having to make due with what i have:mad:

JohnC

Dec 8, 2005
Tappan, NY
We are out of stock on the fan clutch tool but if you want I can lend you mine. I normally just lend it to people for free but I've gotten screwed from folks on this board one too many times.

If you want to borrow it you would have to leave a refundable deposit (just like Autozone does) and I will send it to you and you send it back when you are finished. You can call us with a CC # and we will not put the charge thru unless you decide to keep the tool.

In the end I will pay for shipping of the tool to you (courtesy of 4x4AG) and you pay for shipping when you send it back.

I've seen folks destroy water pumps because they didn't want to spend under $80 on the fan clutch tool.

BTW, the tool comes with the wrench and a handle to hold the pulley in place.

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
man, the Ford fan clutch tool sitting on all the Advance Auto/Autozone/etc....shelves fits the Rover fan clutch. It comes with a long, skinny wrench for the nut and a crow's foot to attach to a 1/2" drive breaker bar to hold the bolts on the water pump pulley. costs around $14.

Oct 27, 2004
Re: very dumb question but...

hywy61 said:
What are the signs your water pump is going bad?

Leakage, noise, slop in the shaft..... If it has over 100k ;)

Best tool for a hard to get off clutch.... A short tap with a air hammer..Breaks it loose right away.

JohnC

Dec 8, 2005
Tappan, NY
Re: very dumb question but...

Chris-St Louis said:
Leakage, noise, slop in the shaft..... If it has over 100k ;)

Best tool for a hard to get off clutch.... A short tap with a air hammer..Breaks it loose right away.
Short tap yes, but I've seen shops use an air chisel and destroy the water pump shaft.

Oct 27, 2004
Well, yeah.... Dont get retarded with the thing. :) Just a dab will do ya. :)

Edit.... Maybe I should be clear..... Air hammer on the NUT on the edge.

Last edited:

apg

Dec 28, 2004
East Virginia
enonz98lr said:
look, where i am going to school im lucky to get a oil filter that will fit my rover much less a FAN CLUTCH TOOL! look man im just having to make due with what i have:mad:

Just ask for the equivalent to a Fram PH8A (don't use Fram, though). It's the most common oil filter on the planet. Others include A/C PF2 and Purolator PER 1 or 30001.

Yeah, the fan clutch can be a bugger the first time. I used plenty of anti-seize when it went back on. The rotation of the fan tightens the fitting, so it doesn't have to be torqued back down hard.

You were trying to remove the nut in the correct direction, right? I had to give it a pretty good whack with a BFH the first time.

enonz98lr

Sep 12, 2005
Powhatan, VA
well thanks for the help guys, and on the whole air hammer thing.........dont have one here at school, no air compressor,

anyway the pump is out and im calling Will today to get the parts:D so should i go to autozone to see if they have a fan clutch tool for reasembly?

signs of water pump going bad
1 BIG ASS CLOUD OF STEAM while i was going down 81(this is when i knew i had a problem)
4 coolent everywhere
3 slop in the pully
4 went to just put water in the system and it all poured out of the weep hole under the water pump

enonz98lr

Sep 12, 2005
Powhatan, VA
JohnC said:
We are out of stock on the fan clutch tool but if you want I can lend you mine. I normally just lend it to people for free but I've gotten screwed from folks on this board one too many times.

If you want to borrow it you would have to leave a refundable deposit (just like Autozone does) and I will send it to you and you send it back when you are finished. You can call us with a CC # and we will not put the charge thru unless you decide to keep the tool.

In the end I will pay for shipping of the tool to you (courtesy of 4x4AG) and you pay for shipping when you send it back.

I've seen folks destroy water pumps because they didn't want to spend under $80 on the fan clutch tool.

BTW, the tool comes with the wrench and a handle to hold the pulley in place.

thanks for the offer, but im trying to get this thing back together before thursday, so if i need the FCT ill go to autozone and see if they have the ford one in stock. got to get this thing going for spring break:)