How to remove console to access/repair CDL on a Disco 1

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
Okay, here is the deal.

My diff light wouldn't come on and I eventually found that the center differential lock was not locking. Strangely my CDL lever worked flawlessly and was smooth like the skin of a baby ass (donkey)

If your CDL is seized the following information might be useful to you also.

My issue turned out to be the difflock sensor itself went bad. After replacing the sensor and fully lubricating all associated components just to be safe, the difflock light once again illuminated and my center diff locked. All I can say is Damn I'm Good.

Last edited:

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
next i gingerly pryed up the plastic that is around the window switches, be careful not to pry up to hard in any one direct as there are plastic tabs which are fragile.

Last edited:

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
at this point its easy to squeeze the side of the e-brake boot and compress the steel wire which holds its shape and keeps it in place.

Also there are 4 screws holding the switch plate to the console - time to remove these

Last edited:

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
i decided to remove the cable to the e-brake since i was in the area. a lot of this can be done out of the sequence i removed them. you need to grasp the clip and pull it out as you retract the pin.

Last edited:

GregH

Apr 24, 2004
CAN I POST NOW? ARE YOU DONE POSTING YOUR ALMIGHTY INSTRUCTIONS?

Do not ask Rob what he used to lubricate his linkage. We do not want to know.

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
good time to remove the seat seat switches, be careful i broke the plastic clips which holds the backing plates into the console. 5 bucks each for replacements from RN so if you do break them do not fret.

Last edited:

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
next you will need to remove the bezel which surround the shifter. pry from the end i have pictures, toward 1st, or you could break some plastic tabs.

pry up and push toward the engine and it will slide off.

Last edited:

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
moving on we go up to the cdl level boot, or what i like to call the foreskin, why you ask, because by this point i've has some liquor to drink. its important to realize what keeps the boot secured to the hand is just a rubber o-ring. that sits in a groove in the cdl knob.

roll the foreskin down off the know to expose the head :smilelol:

Last edited:

GregH

Apr 24, 2004
nosivad_bor said:
moving on we go up to the cdl level boot, or what i like to call the foreskin, why you ask, because by this point i've has some liquor to drink. its important to realize what keeps the boot secured to the hand is just a rubber o-ring. that sits in a groove in the cdl knob.

roll the foreskin down off the know to expose the head :smilelol:

Has your wife left you and you are left fondling your truck now?

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
pull the e-brake up, push the window switches inside the console and same with the seat switches, pull the cubby end of the console up and pull toward the rear of the vehicle. should come right out. if not i forgot to tell you about something.

i didn't take a pict of this as it was a two handed job.

Last edited:

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
next look back to where the cubby was and remove the screw on both sides which secure the black pipes, remove the black pipes.

Last edited:

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
now we have decent access to the rivets which secure the rubber cdl booty to the body.

drill these mo-fo's out. i can't remember the size i used around 3/16" i think.

there are some hidden under the carpet so peal it up good to make sure none are hiding

Last edited:

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
ok you are home free now after these are drill out you can pry the rubber boot up and you'll get the full frontal view of the cdl. this picture here is shown after ive lubed it up.

Last edited:

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
remove the pin and clip holding the linkage to the cdl body, its the same clip as the e-brake.

if i remember correctly there are two different connections you need to unclip and pull a pin out , one for hi-low and one for the actual cdl.

Last edited:

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
after those pins are removed its just four bolts holding the cdl on the t-case. i didn't bother taking picts of that removal.

next step after troubleshooting my problem was to remove the difflock sensor. you unplug the two wires on top and using a crow foot wrench remove the difflock sensor.

Last edited: