Possible repeat ?

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
I'd buy one, but for $88k, holy jebus! that's a d110 and enough parts to make it new again!

S

sisukid1975

JeffM said:
So let me see if I get it right - its a rebuilt old style land cruiser with a chevy v8 in it?

Jeff

Not Rebuilt -- replica. All the parts (Including frame and body) are new parts, replicas of the original Toyota parts. Most of them are improved over the originals as well. (Frame is stiffer and has reinforcing in the known weak spots, better rust prevention, aluminum body like a Rover)

Basically, it's a like having a brand new, hand-built FJ40 with all the best aftermarket mods and improvements already installed.

I don't like the Chebby motor. I'd be happier with a 12HT diesel, or one of MAF's high performance 2Fs, but those things just don't grow on trees.

Last edited:
S

sisukid1975

The thing is, you can build one of those yourself.

Between Man-a-Fre and Specter, you can buy, brand new, practically every part necessary to build an FJ40 from the ground up.

Only the engine (if you used a Land Cruiser engine) and axle housings would not be new.

Brand-new custom built frames and aluminum bodies are also available from vendors online.

The thing you're paying for with the Icon is the convenience of not having to do-it-yourself. Perfect for someone who wants a really nice old "Land Cruiser," but is too lazy, doesn't have the time, or doesn't have the expertise to do it himself.

Also, building custom from the ground up answers the question: "Restore for preservation, or Mod?" As things like old Land Cruisers and Rovers become fewer and further between, there will be some people who, in the name of preservation, won't want to modify an original vehicle from factory specs.

Last edited: