ABS Sensor adjustment

mestalla

Jan 3, 2007
After a change of front rotors, pads and wheel bearings the ABS warning lights on. Somebody knows what can it be desajusted due this parts change? I tapped ABS sensors in & changed pads again because possible ultrasonic squeal but light remains on the dash. The swivel pin housing never was disassembled during brake changes.

Do you know what's the appropriate gap of the front ABS sensors? What is the usual cause of gap variation? Is it possible a CV Joint failure or swivel pin?

Thanks a lot for any information!

vray

Apr 5, 2005
WRV, Idaho
Dunno what truck you have, but the following most likely applies: The abs sensors set to the correct gap when you start driving. Check the abs fault code as that will give you an idea of where to begin troubleshooting.

StevieLBCA

Aug 18, 2006
Long Beach CA
Remove the sensors and wipe them clean and reinstall. Push the sensors until they hit bottom, they will adjust themselves to the proper air gap.

mestalla

Jan 3, 2007
Is the next instruction applicable for a Disco1 98, automatic, V8 4.0L Petrol & ABS???????

HOW TO GET THE CODES----------------

The ABS "display" is the actual abs light on the dash. It has its own computer, but not its own display box like the ECU. The procedure is as follows, according to my less than perfect memory: Under the drivers seat there is a white multi pin plug that has nothing connected to it. This is the testbook connection for the ABS. Make a short jumper from a piece of 14 ga wire and plug it into the black and into the black/purple wires' socket on the plug. The ABS light will them begin to flash a sequence of times, five flashes first, pause then a number of flashes, short pause, then an other number, long pause, repeat. So if it flashed twice, then five times, it is indicating fault 25. Then you look at the fault codes, whatever they may be!

Thanks a lot for information!

Reactions: tmorris1076

tomelroy

Dec 1, 2005
Morgan, UT
The insturctions only work on obd1 rigs (94-95 discos or 95 and older range rovers) For 96 and newer (obd2) you jump pin 5 and 15 on the obd2 connector to get the codes. The obd2 connector is located on the drivers side (LHD) above the gas pedal.

Attachments

• obd2 diagram.JPG
    obd2 diagram.JPG
    14.3 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: tmorris1076

Ed Cheung

Aug 23, 2006
Hong Kong
Mine is doing the same after a new set of brake pads.
It show up once a while now, the ABS will be on when I turn the wheels and brake at the same time. The the ABS light on the dash will be on-- so the ABS is being off.
I notices the ABS light will be on when I am driving on bumpy road as well.
I cleaned it, and it behave normal on the first few days only.

Discotec

Mar 30, 2006
Glenwood, N.B. Canada
StevieLBCA said:
Remove the sensors and wipe them clean and reinstall. Push the sensors until they hit bottom, they will adjust themselves to the proper air gap.

The Discovery workshop manual says........

CAUTION If the sensor is removed for any reason, a NEW sensor bush and seal must be fitted.....

Their words, not mine......don't shoot the messenger:D

and yes, to set the air gap push the sensor home and it will get knocked back......

High sensor air gaps can cause a fault code......

B

beemer

After I changed brake pads and shoes (95 D1) all around, cleaned and installed sensors, one was a loose fit before but now corrected.
The dash light used to go out around 9-11 mph, flicker at times now it clears just backing out the driveway 10 feet. Broken lead to the front sensors has been the biggest problem.

hughes2925

Apr 11, 2005
How do you remove the sensors b/c mine are doing the same thing on a 99 DII. I see the sensor wires going into the housing of the brakes but how exactly do I pull them? I have done my brakes/pads/rotors and can get that job done, but when it comes to the bearings, the abs sensor wires, etc I don't know what I'm doing, wish I did.