Computer in your Disco? Anyone?

DiscoNomad

Dec 11, 2005
Napa, CA
www.disconomad.com
I know there is few of you out there that have a computer in your Disco. Well its time to show them and talk about what you use them for. I'll start.

DSC00520.jpg

Last March, with inspiration from some of you on DWeb and Sean, I set out to put a Mac Mini in my Disco. The idea was to create some sort of navigation suite using a Garmin 376C and APRS technology with HAM. Since Sean also had the setup we also started working on short range communication ideas (Video and Full Deplex Audio) using high-speed data mediums like 802.11. I ripped out the stock head unit and used its chasis to mount a Xenarc 700TSV high resolution touch screen. Carnetix provided an ingenious power supply that was small and had multiple power rails that powered both the Mac and the screen with static free power. To power the whole set up I used a dual battery system from painless. To make sure the engine cracking would not affect the sensitive electronics we rigged the solenoid to isolate the batteries when the key hit the start position. The multiple audio channels of the stock sound system was decoded (confusing) into a simple left and right audio connection. In the end the Mac became an incredible sterio running iTunes also. In order to maintain healthy hard drive life a suspension system using RC springs was developed to mount the Mini to the same mounts as the factory CD changer (2004 DII). Anyway take a look at the pictures and an even more extensive write up on my site.

Part 1
Part 2

Anyone else want to share?

Last edited:

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
DiscoNomad said:
I know there is few of you out there that have a computer in your Disco. Well its time to show them and talk about what you use them for. I'll start.

View attachment 18387

Last March, with inspiration from some of you on DWeb and Sean, I set out to put a Mac Mini in my Disco. The idea was to create some sort of navigation suite using a Garmin 376C and APRS technology with HAM. Since Sean also had the setup we also started working on short range communication ideas (Video and Full Deplex Audio) using high-speed data mediums like 802.11. I ripped out the stock head unit and used its chasis to mount a Xenarc 700TSV high resolution touch screen. Carnetix provided an ingenious power supply that was small and had multiple power rails that powered both the Mac and the screen with static free power. To power the whole set up I used a dual battery system from painless. To make sure the engine cracking would not affect the sensitive electronics we rigged the solenoid to isolate the batteries when the key hit the start position. The multiple audio channels of the stock sound system was decoded (confusing) into a simple left and right audio connection. In the end the Mac became an incredible sterio running iTunes also. In order to maintain healthy hard drive life a suspension system using RC springs was developed to mount the Mini to the same mounts as the factory CD changer (2004 DII). Anyway take a look at the pictures and an even more extensive write up on my site.

Part 1
Part 2

Anyone else want to share?

Sweet, I'm looking to get the 700tsv for my g35, as mp3car.com has a slide mount to put inplace of the storage box (if you didn't get the fatory nav). I plan on running Streetdeck on a ITX pc with XP or XPe on it.

edthediscoman

Nov 4, 2005
Rivertucky, Ca
Thats an awesome set up!!

I don't have pics but will take some tomorrow and post up. Went the easy route with a homemade stand and an old laptop someone gave me. I use the microsoft streets, but it also has a wireless card, and I can sync my "my tunes" folder with the home PC's - or log onto the internet through open wireless connections. I have thought about an aircard or some such. Just got a new laptop, so it was a no brainer to throw the old one in there for GPS and other related computer activities. I can also sync my work files, so I have them with me in the Dusty car, without breaking out the new laptop.
Its pretty sweet and useful - net cost
$100 bucks for Microsoft streets and the GPS receiver
$10 bucks in piping parts.

Ed

rmuller

Apr 28, 2004
Northern NJ
www.njlr.org
This was my old setup... but I didn't like keeping a laptop in the truck so I just opted to buy a garmin GPS unit.. I'm still toying with the idea of putting a 7" screen where the radio is and setting up a full car-pc.

Attachments

• laptop.jpg
    laptop.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 269

racerwad

Sep 9, 2005
tacoma, wa
craig miller here and on the site in my sig had a pretty sweet setup. he has a touchscreen where the stock radio is/was. the install looks pretty stock, imho.

a

cognetic

Mar 5, 2005
Indianapolis
Great write up, DiscoNomad!!
I've been struggling with the dual battery thing since installing the SG front bumper and having to remount the washer botttle. Where did you put your washer bottle to allow that dual tray to slide in? Oh and where is your winch solenoid station?

I have a pirate patched "eye" cut out of my plastic grill guard for my solenoid... at first hated the aesthetics, it seems everyone double takes and notices for better or worse... I just hate the external exposure of the unit. Also, I mounted an Icom AH-4 tuner under the passenger side headlamp with diamond plate (tucked up nicely, routed feed to AH-2b whip and it's SOLID whip base to the front of my SG bumper... not ideal physics for the trail... but it allows me to bend back that huge whip for garage entry. All that feeds an ICOM 706MKIIG and joins a VHF/UHF antenna mounted on the back with an EAM Outbacker mount on right side of rear door.

I like the simplicity of the power supply configuration, jumper to the AUX block and back to the rear AUX power port for the Engel. My own thoughts for next level of your design and thinking through my intended project would be to add solar power to the secondary battery supplied power circuit. A decent rigid panel or highly efficient flexi panel (popping up in marine and military installs more and more) for solar collection plus a charger / line conditioner attached to it would be ideal for expeditions, powering that Engel and keeping the battery charged when sunny or even partly cloudy. I did this on a highly modified Ford Explorer a few years back to maintain SAR / Tactical Ops field communications with satellite, APRS, Packet, HF/MF/VHF/UHF, PC, fridge et al...

I'm gonna stage my project and make the MAC or PC with screen display the last item after getting power circuit with dual battery, Painless solenoid, solar charging and that AUX block placed. I can use a slim notebook in the interim... I would really like to put an APRS and Packet terminal in the mix with the only thing visible being a dedicated LCD screen for text display <gotta match other dash displays with green back, black lettering, smile> and a small utility grade wired keyboard that gets tucked under the seat when not in use... something about feeding that simple APRS/Packet separate from PC or MAC is appealing.

Your write up really helped solidify my direction!!

EDIT:
here is a link to the console I'm thinking about mounting the APRS/Packet LCD display in, along with touch screen display instead of replacing stock head unit... http://www.timeplus.com.au/shop/Shop/Consoles/LandRover/Discovery

Last edited:

Mongo

Apr 19, 2004
sound like overkill to me...I just run a 13" Panasonic Toughbook (touchscreen) with Topo 6.0...

Asolo3j

Nov 8, 2004
Annapolis
My setup is similar to this :D ... and thinking about a dash mount for the Ritchie or a Danforth.

Attachments

• map-and-compass.jpg
    map-and-compass.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 49
  • HAN_05563.jpg
    HAN_05563.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 37

DiscoNomad

Dec 11, 2005
Napa, CA
www.disconomad.com
cognetic said:
Great write up, DiscoNomad!!
I've been struggling with the dual battery thing since installing the SG front bumper and having to remount the washer botttle. Where did you put your washer bottle to allow that dual tray to slide in? Oh and where is your winch solenoid station?

Thanks guys. As for the solenoid and washer bottle I too was tight for room. I had the ARB to mount in the engine bay AND the dual battery system to deal with. I also have an 04 with the emissions pump so I have even less room then usual. So here is what I did. On my safari gard front bumper I have the front skid plate. When I mounted the winch (X9 Superwinch) I found that there was TONS of room behind the winch and the radiator. So I made simple little brakets and mounted the solenoid AND the washer bottle simply there. Yes I have to snake in a plastic hose to siphon washer fluid but it looks great and is super protected. Even when splashing through a big mud puddle nothing gets even dirty because the giant skid plate on the SG bumper pushes away all of the crap. Here are some pictures and the write up from my site.

As you can see its a tight fit in there:
DSC00452.jpg

DSC00481.jpg

Home Rigged Washer Bottle Bracket (same for the solenoid):
DSC00423.jpg

Installed (view is from bottom laying on my back without the skid plate bolted on yet):
DSC00421.jpg

See access to the bottle isn't too bad:
DSC00420.jpg

Here is the actual write up from when it happened. http://www.disconomad.com/DiscoNomad/Blog/1559E4BA-8A23-42E0-BEC7-72010BDF94B0.html

The best advantage of putting it here is that you don't need to lengthen any hoses for the bottle as that surely causes for lost pressure. I am simply moving it about 7 inches more center of the truck. Works great and I get great pressure.

Nomad

PS: Damn looks like I hijacked my own thread.

Last edited:
D

DiscoDino

It took me 2 years to learn about the Garmin 276C, so I don't think such electronics are in my future...

I'll definitely applaud this stuff though...Eric has a similar set-up in his 04 which I saw at Rausch 2 weekends ago...

cognetic

Mar 5, 2005
Indianapolis
PT,
Where is Gary?
... I want that... all of it...

Exotic 4x4 will need to get my washer bottle, solenoid and dual battery tray installed next week... =:cool:

Seriously... DiscoNomad just raised the bar, PT.... did you feel it?

fs_discoII

Jun 21, 2006
Santa Fe NM
I seriously doubt that any of you will be able to reach the height of the bar raised by Nomad...jk. I must say that if you think his truck looks great in the photos it is even better in person. Truelly a work of art, even the paint, by this I mean no scratches, just kidding DiscoNomad :). We all envy you man. well everyone that has a DII atleast

DiscoNomad

Dec 11, 2005
Napa, CA
www.disconomad.com
Yeah no kidding about the fabrication over at MP3Car.com, just amazing. Everything I have in my truck was made with a Dremel pretty much :D . Of course the best part of being in a Land Rover club is that you get to borrow friends tools. Some stuff is rough and I know it could be better but I can't stand not knowing what some company may have done wrong; a crimped wire, a loose bolt somewhere, or anything else....freaks me out.

This way atleast if something is wrong I know it was me who did it. When I was at 12,200' in the Sierra Mountains with no communication ability to anyone (no cell phone coverage of course, HAM radio didn't have enough range to a repeater) with my dad who has heart issues, my truck was my only hope of getting out of their if something went wrong. The drive form the campsite to the nearest road was about 6 hours off road. It was the first time I ever got a bit freaked about the truck not performing like it needed to...but it did. Lockers worked when they needed to (interesting that the pump had to run longer to build up pressure due to the thin air), navigation system got us back the exact way we came (no roads), it was just all clock work. I'm telling you guys these trucks are the best vehicles on the planet and I'm never letting go of mine.

DiscoNomad

Dec 11, 2005
Napa, CA
www.disconomad.com
fs_discoII said:
I seriously doubt that any of you will be able to reach the height of the bar raised by Nomad...jk. I must say that if you think his truck looks great in the photos it is even better in person. Truelly a work of art, even the paint, by this I mean no scratches, just kidding DiscoNomad :). We all envy you man. well everyone that has a DII atleast

I can't believe I have been coined the "by-pass queen" of the club. :banghead:

nosivad_bor

Mar 27, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
DiscoNomad said:
Lockers worked when they needed to (interesting that the pump had to run longer to build up pressure due to the thin air), navigation system got us back the exact way we came (no roads), it was just all clock work. I'm telling you guys these trucks are the best vehicles on the planet and I'm never letting go of mine.

what about if it had let you down with a complete ECU meltdown. would you feel the same way?