Another U-Boot comander is born

pwp

Sep 7, 2004
Chicago, IL
Well I'm not proud to say, I had a huge lack of judgment and common sense at the end of what would have been a good day offroading.
To keep it brief.

-Mud/water hole
-Did some probing for depth
-Decided to go through
-All was relatively OK until a sudden spot of waist deep water :patriot:
-Truck became stuck (thoughts of IDIOT running through my head)
-Thanks to my brother and buddys quick thinking, they got me strapped to another truck while I was still trying to get "unstuck"
-Once hooked up pulled out backwards realatively easy, at this point the water inside the cab had risen to about 1" , the water level outside was about 10" below the window line with the front of the truck pitched in the deepest.

My engine was running the whole time. Once out I shut it down, replaced my air filter
which was soaked, removed plugs and cranked engine to check for H2O, but didn't see
any come out. The truck would not run over about 2000RPM and check engine light came on then started flashing then after another start went solid again. I had the truck towed home on a flatbed (about 160miles :banghead: )

I just tried to start it and it will start but will not stay running. There was also a inconsistent "popping" sound coming from the engine.

Any thoughts on where to start, this is probably more than just a soaked MAF ? :eek:

Thanks , It's been a long day. I don't know what's worse, the condition of the truck or the fact that I made such a dumb decision on trying that hole. I'm now going to bed :yawn:

S

Schattenjager

Bummer - if you have a buddy with the same engine, you might try swaping the MAS to see if she runs like new. I bet she does. You took the right steps (well, to deal with a problem anyway... hehe) and I would doubt there is any mechanical issues - more like pissed off electrics. Did you hose the motor with WD-40 yet? Remember how it got its name! Is the air intake pipe damp inside? Also, you might disconnect the battery for a minute or two to wipe the computers mind. It will then go into LEARN mode. This would be smart to do before a MAS check. Good Luck!

Last edited:

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
That definately sounds like the MAF sensor. I had the same thing happen to me about a year ago. It took me two weeks to finally figure it out, and all I had to do was spray the MAF sensor with some electrical contact cleaner. It is definately a good idea to keep some in the truck, I have used it many times on the trail.

pwp

Sep 7, 2004
Chicago, IL
So I cleaned out the MAF very well with some contact cleaner (CRC). When I started up the truck it ran HORIBLE, poping noises coming from the enigine, barely able to run, sputtering and hesitating. I shut it down and started it again, and it idled just fine ?? when I gave it gas it started sputtering and as I let up on the gas it reved to 2500-3000 ?? I know getting some codes off the OBD would give me some direction but I don't think it will make it to the Auto Zone and back :ack:

2 questions ,

1) would and engine with a bent rod still run ?

2) after a prolonged water encounter should I dump all my fluids tranny, diffs, oil, and replace ?

nothing to do with the motor but... should my wabco ABS unit be making some wierd electro bleeping noise ? I noticed it after the motor was off, it was very faint but when I put a screwdriver to the unit and my ear it was definately making some electro techno dance noise.

I think it is safe to say my fascination with MUD is over :applause:

Last edited:
S

Swa j-Ten

What about the popping sound coming from the engine? Did you ever figure it out? I have that, when I downshift or decelerate rapidly.

mightymg

Mar 6, 2005
Clinton Ut
I think you still havea little water in the cyl, change the oil, and start it up again, let it idle if teh idle is ok like it was the second time. I had this same problem sputtering and popping, once I started getting some clean burning in the cylinders, it was fine... Let it idle for about 5-10 if its smooth and it should work the kinks out.

justinhaaga

Oct 27, 2004
Syracuse, UT
mightymg said:
I think you still havea little water in the cyl, change the oil, and start it up again, let it idle if teh idle is ok like it was the second time. I had this same problem sputtering and popping, once I started getting some clean burning in the cylinders, it was fine... Let it idle for about 5-10 if its smooth and it should work the kinks out.

me too, burn it out. let it run for a while.

S

Schattenjager

The MAS works by heating up an electric element. Cleaning it may not be enough. If it got WET, then it may have died. If so, the car would go into limp mode. Did you reset the computer by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes?

Jaime

Apr 29, 2004
NJ
Disconnect the wire going to the MAF, and the truck will run in "limp home" mode. It will run rich, but it will run. You may need a new MAF, but at least for a DII they are not as expensive as for a DI

Ron

Jun 15, 2004
Main Line
RUN IT WITH THE MAF UNPLUGGED. Pull the little connector off.

duh.

If it runs with it unplugged ok then it is the MAF. It not go around to the other sensors: crank, O2 etc.

Bent rod probably would not run for long. I guess it depends on how bent.

yes change all fluids

d1driver

Oct 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
MAF!!! We just experienced this over the weekend with a D2 going through a deep mud hole. Popping from engine, wouldn't rev up without stumbling all over the place.

Changed MAF sensor..........ran perfect again! Cleaning them out won't fix them!

edthediscoman

Nov 4, 2005
Rivertucky, Ca
Thats an AWESOME pic!!

Now to get ya running. x whatever on the MAF. I assume you cleaned out the cylinders from water? Also, replace all fluids. Diff, Transfer case, tranny, oil. The seals suck water in as the car is nice and hot, then cold from the water, and tends to reduce intenal volume...and suck in water/mud. It took out my ARB with all the silt in there....so git er done!

jymmiejamz

Dec 5, 2004
Los Angeles, Ca
Ron said:
RUN IT WITH THE MAF UNPLUGGED. Pull the little connector off.

duh.

If it runs with it unplugged ok then it is the MAF. It not go around to the other sensors: crank, O2 etc.

Bent rod probably would not run for long. I guess it depends on how bent.

yes change all fluids

That is not true, at least in my case, it will only idle.

Loydster

Apr 20, 2004
when i did this on a chevy 4.3 i pulled the plugs and spun the engine using the starter. spun a lot of water out. Had weird idle problems. ended up being the throttle position sensor. I dont know if we even have one but it could be that. it woulkd idle high the entore time or barely run.

I also took it to a local shop and had them flush the trans with 56 gallons fo trans fluid. still looked a little frothy but seemed ok.

Then i traded it

pwp

Sep 7, 2004
Chicago, IL
OK I got home tonight with my new MAF in hand. Went into the garage to swap it out. I also changed my plugs becasue I had some new ones and the old ones looked pretty beat.

So new MAF in place, I had the battery disconnected since yesterday. I started her up and it ran smooth like a kitten, pedal response was perfect when I reved a little. The check engine light is off and there was no more 2500/3000 RPM max. I think I'm good.

What a defferance when that thing is shot. I didn't take it for a drive yet, because I am flushing the oil, diff's and tranny tomorrow. I am confident it will drive fine.

I would like to thank all of you guys for your input and help.:patriot:

Now I need to get all the mud water out of the carpet :D

crown14

May 11, 2006
Clayton, NC
Loydster said:
I also took it to a local shop and had them flush the trans with 56 gallons fo trans fluid. still looked a little frothy but seemed ok.

Then i traded it

for fucks sake, it would have been cheaper to buy a new tranny than to buy 56 gallons of ATF...

Loydster

Apr 20, 2004
crown14 said:
for fucks sake, it would have been cheaper to buy a new tranny than to buy 56 gallons of ATF...

Woops 56 quarts not gallons. That probably makes more sense. it was less than $250 for the service. new tranny was $2000