D1 lock actuators interchangeable?

Mikey

Dec 16, 2005
Littleton, CO
I know the driver's door is different but are the other four the same? Can I buy any non-driver's door lock actuator for use in the rear door?
-Michael

DemeraraDisco

Apr 21, 2005
Totally agree with Chris. The Parts Express actuators are indeed strong and no modification necessary to align it; it's pretty near an identical fit for the cargo door actuator. I only needed one but got four (for future failure) since they are crazy cheap.

trevorhy

May 29, 2005
How was it for mounting in the Cargo Door? Any mods or did it just screw in place?

Just wondering as I have been driving around for the last couple of weeks with the rear cargo door panel off looking for a replacement for the actuator.

Trevor

DemeraraDisco

Apr 21, 2005
I did it a while ago, but I don't recall any mods that needed to be done. No new screw holes or anything like that. You can use either connectors or just cut the wire and solder a splice (or twist and tape for quick fix).

Mikey

Dec 16, 2005
Littleton, CO
That is a sweet deal! Thanks for the info. I've ordered from Parts Express in the past and had good luck with them. Looks like I'll bee doing business there again.
-Michael

Papillon

Dec 19, 2005
I need to replace the 5 wire drivers door actuator and, of course, the colors of the Parts Express actuator wires are different than my 1994 Disco. I have looked in my Rave repair CD and cannot find the wire diagram. Does anyone know the correct match-up. Here are the colors:

Parts Express: Black, White, Brown, Blue, Green.

94 Disco: Orange, Pink, Black, Yellow, Brown with stripe.

Thanks for the Help!

Papillon

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
i tried replacing my pass. door actuator with one of these and it isn't strong enough to lock it

edit: had to drill out the hold on the new actuator, it was binding. seems to be working just fine now.

Last edited:

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Papillon said:
I need to replace the 5 wire drivers door actuator and, of course, the colors of the Parts Express actuator wires are different than my 1994 Disco. I have looked in my Rave repair CD and cannot find the wire diagram. Does anyone know the correct match-up. Here are the colors:

Parts Express: Black, White, Brown, Blue, Green.

94 Disco: Orange, Pink, Black, Yellow, Brown with stripe.

Thanks for the Help!

Papillon

orange -> blue
pink -> green

thats just for the actuator

my guess is the other 3 are ground then a switch for unlock and lock. try hooking them up and see if it unlocks or locks when you move it and reverse if necessary

Papillon

Dec 19, 2005
Thanks for the help robertf! That takes care of two of the wires.

I am quite sure the black wires on both my Disco and the Parts Express actuator are grounds, thus they should be connected together.

Therefore, so far we have:

orange -> blue
pink -> green
black -> black

That leaves the yellow and brown stripe wire on the Disco; and the white and brown wire on the Parts Express actuator. I guess I can take the old "trial and error" route, but I am hopeful that someone here has the answer as this method could cause damage to the alarm unit.

By the way, the wire connector is identified as C607 on the Rave CD. The five wires are mapped out in the connector as:

1 - Orange
2 - Pink
3 - Black
4 - Yellow
5 - Brown stripe
6 - Not used

Can anyone else help? Please.

Papillon

Oct 27, 2004
The Black is the ground...

The Brown and Pink wire is constant hot.....

Pink wire goes 12 volts to lock.

Orange Wire goes 12 volts to unlock..

Black is ground.

Of course, confirm this with a voltmeter/testlight before changing your wiring.

Papillon

Dec 19, 2005
Thanks Chris, with your and robertf's imput I was able to connect all five wires without the truck bursting into flame and it works. The final wire match-up is:

Disco -> Parts Express

orange -> blue
pink -> green
black -> black
yellow -> white
brown -> brown

I had to make a new connection hook for the actuator plunger as the Parts Express unit is about 1/2" longer than the Disco's actuator. No big deal -- used a peg board hook and bent it into shape only shorter. Also had to adjust the mounting plate for the best fit for the Parts Express actuator. An easy task. Well worth the effort though, as new original equipment actuators from Atlantic British or Rovers North are over $200 with shipping. And I have three other 2-wire actuators left over for the other doors just in case. All for $50, unbeliveable.

Papillon

stu454

Dec 15, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Bump for a useful thread.

I used the Parts Express actuator to replace the bad one in the driver's side rear door. It works like a champ.

EntilZha

Mar 25, 2013
Amesbury, MA
Bump for a useful thread.

I used the Parts Express actuator to replace the bad one in the driver's side rear door. It works like a champ.

Are these still available anywhere? I just checked the link and it says they're no longer made. And, of course, my D1's front driver actuator (now $299!) just packed in.