P1412 & P1415

F

Fly Fisherman

Hey all, this is my first post on this board. I used to be on the Xterra Owners' board, so hopefully I won't be a total FNG. I have been "lurking" for about a month, and you all have already helped me answer several questions I had about my new (to me) Disco (2003 SE7, 74000 mi.). So, thanks.

I had a BUNCH of codes and misfires. I took the truck to a local ASE shop that specializes in imports. There were several Discos on the lot, so I hope that is a good sign. After I changed the spark plugs they did the new wires on a second visit. Viola! Codes went away and it ran like new.

On a recent cold morning I started the truck and heard a horrible racket that I now know was the SAI system working. No codes. I waited until it went away before I drove it. The next morning the SAI kicked on, but I backed down the driveway before it quit. That is when the dreaded SES light came on.

I had to wait until I got my ScanGuage II in the mail this week. I pulled the codes this afternoon:
P1415Secondary air system fault bank 2Drive cycle D:Signal implausible
P1412 same as above bank 1

So, to get to the freakin' point.... What is a practical method to diagnose this fault? The info on the RAVE CD gave a bunch of things that would prevent the SAI air from getting to the catalyst. I just don't know how to isolate those various systems to find the fault. I have average DIY skills and tools. Nothing fancy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :victory:

F

frickjp

SAI runs when cold. Pump runs, blows air into the rail. Power is applied to the vacuum switching valve, which applies vaccum to the gulp valves so they open. You either have no fresh air or no vacuum to open the valves. The nipple at the reservoir behind the right wheelhouse gets oil-soaked and falls off. The vacuum valves fail as well.

F

Fly Fisherman

Okay. I'll check the vacuum connections ASAP. Since I am not getting codes for the solenoids, etc. is it safe to assume that this is not an electric fault? The truck was owned by someone in Alpharetta, GA before I got it (bought at Land Rover - Buckhead). My working assumption was that it never got cold enough down there to make the SAI system work...so it was frozen, gummed up, whatever. Either that or the dealer here screwed it up when he prepped the truck for sale. It was scary clean under the hood. Almost like they power washed it with Armor All. ;)

By the way, thanks for the reply.

F

Fly Fisherman

Problem solved. Just as you said, the vacuum line was disconnected from the resevoir on the right. Thanks!

1988RRC

thanks guys i just had the same exact problem........vacuum line was disconnected from the resevoir on the right.

the right angle female connection was enlarged and would not fit well over the male connection. is there a replacement angle connection? i wrapped tape around the male connection and slide the female on, worked fine.

brianhoberg

Apr 16, 2007
San Antonio, TX
www.brianhoberg.com
Does anyone (by chance) have the part number for the vacuum valves? My car started throwing these errors after I changed the air filter (standard stock filter to another stock filter) this weekend. The car was making a whistling sound for the first two or three minutes until warm and then went away but it increased with acceleration.
Anyways, ran the codes last night and I'm getting both P1412 and P1415. I checked all the vacuum connections last night, even pulling and reseating a few, but the truck hasn't cleared the code, so it's still there. Anyone who has this part number handy please post, it's much appreciated.
-brianhoberg

adriatic04

Mar 22, 2007
cleveland, oh
i have these codes always pending now, by the time they almost clear due to drive cycle, I get a CEL, then clear it and about a week later they are pending yet again.

I've checked all the vac lines, nothing is loose. anything else to consider?

roverMc

Feb 27, 2009
Deep, Deep South
adriatic04 said:
i have these codes always pending now, by the time they almost clear due to drive cycle, I get a CEL, then clear it and about a week later they are pending yet again.

I've checked all the vac lines, nothing is loose. anything else to consider?

Mine was doing that and it was the valve not opening correctly. My local shop repaired it.

adriatic04

Mar 22, 2007
cleveland, oh
I can't get this to stop showing up. I am now getting SES. It is starting to get cold so the SAI is coming on at every startup, which increases my odds for a fault.

What has anyone taken apart and cleaned, since mine isnt a loose vac line, I am assuming a valve is gummed up???

B

bocadisco

Did you ever resolve this adriatic. I continue to get these codes. All vac lines and connections seem and look fine. I clear the codes but every 2nd cold start the codes come back. The problem began after I disconnected the SAI pipes along the firewall to put in new ignition wires. Ive checked and rechecked all vac lines and connections and elbows but cant get them to go away.

adriatic04

Mar 22, 2007
cleveland, oh
no, I get them routinely, I would hedge a guess that I get a check engine light every 15th time they show up. I clear the light and forget about it, most of the time it is just a pending fault code on my OBD reader.

its emissions related so in the grand scheme of things I am not too worried. I have also looked at the RAVE and it appears it could also be electric related.

who knows, if you figure something out let me know. I have not vac tested the valves to ensure they are opening correctly, it is more a pain in the ass for me than anything.

B

bocadisco

Thanks Bud, Ill let you know if I find anything. Im gonna try digging into it some more. My pump starts humming and throwing codes every time its been sitting, even if its 80 degrees outside.

adriatic04

Mar 22, 2007
cleveland, oh
Read about the sai, I didn't think it came on when the ambient temp was that high.

I think rave says p1412 and p1415 could be electrical. I am not sure which relay it is to check. I have also read that the valves stick which results in these codes because of no flow to exhaust.

KyleT

Mar 28, 2007
Fort Worth, TEXAS
the vacuum harness can leak without looking like it.. and the solenoid can go out. I would replace at least the harness and then go from there. the valves dont fail very often. mostly from running it with a bad blower motor, so exhaust gasses flow backwards into it.