Custom Mesh Grill

HunterAK

May 19, 2005
Anchorage Alaska
Just finished it... hope you like!!

PS> Excuse the bumper... I'm working on a custom steel bumper as we speak.

Attachments

• IMG_2372.jpg
    IMG_2372.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 1,168
  • IMG_2371.jpg
    IMG_2371.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,010
  • IMG_2370.jpg
    IMG_2370.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 740

HunterAK

May 19, 2005
Anchorage Alaska
Robert Alley said:
Pretty nice... How'd you do it? How much cheaper than a Saudi spec was it?

I cut out the middle bar of the stock grill... I epoxy'd a square piece of plastic to each edge on the left and right where the middle bar was cut out and used bondo over that and smoothed it over, then cut the excess tab off to fit flush.

If you notice on the stock grill, the bottom is made up of two plastic horizontal pieces that are essentially, one piece. I used bondo to fill the gap and sanded and smoothed it out. I used a lot of bondo on the inside corners too and it was kind of a bitch acutally, but it had to look right... I got some automotive mesh grill on ebay and had it powder coated black. Then I bought a LR emblem from Rover Connection online and used some epoxy to fit it to the mesh.

I used Krylon gloss black and painted over the grill frame several coats and put several coats of clear coat on there too.

Then I bent the mesh around the back of the grill and used more epoxy to fit it tight.

Last edited:

HunterAK

May 19, 2005
Anchorage Alaska
FIVESPDDISCO said:
looks great. i was expecting a train wreck :)

Thanks... I think the main thing that I did different from a lot of the others that I've seen is put a strong aluminum mesh on there... not that wimpy chicken wire crap... and a lot of bondo, smoothing over, and wet sanding til it was ripe for paint.

Aug 8, 2006
Damn, that looks really clean... id consider doing something like that to mine but im afraid id screw it up and then be out of luck.

HunterAK

May 19, 2005
Anchorage Alaska
Zoolander said:
do you ever hit overpasses with that rack?!

No. It's a standard Garvin Industries Wilderness Rack, but looking at the picture I took, you're right, it looks unusually tall... funny. :) Check out the pic on my profile...

Last edited:

edthediscoman

Nov 4, 2005
Rivertucky, Ca
Awesome.
I am considering making something as the grill just took a chopping for the winch to fit. That looks sweet as hell, but I am sure as soon as I put that kind of effort in to one, I am going to smash it anyway!!
LOL
Can't wait to see the bumper if the grill came out that good.
Ed

HunterAK

May 19, 2005
Anchorage Alaska
edthediscoman said:
Awesome.
I am considering making something as the grill just took a chopping for the winch to fit. That looks sweet as hell, but I am sure as soon as I put that kind of effort in to one, I am going to smash it anyway!!
LOL
Can't wait to see the bumper if the grill came out that good.
Ed

Thanks... the bumper is an old prototype steel bumper from DAP that they had sitting in their warehouse. I'm cutting some holes and mounting some lights in it and going to powder coat it.... should look nice... Thought about putting an A-bar of sorts on it but I don't want to get too cute with it... less is more.