New Range Rover Brake Pad Install

Alyssa

Apr 19, 2004
Philadelphia's Main Line
For the technicians on board:
I need to replace the front brake pads & sensor on my '05 RR. Is this a normal, easy brake job that any tech at any garage can do, or did LR make it difficult in some way? I've got the pads & sensor (thanks to LR Richmond's amazing door to door (or door to tent at MAR) service) already. Since it's 1.8 hours at the dealer & I don't get a break on labor, I was thinking I could take it to a local place, even a Meineke or something. Is this a bad idea? Since my message center is alerting me that I need to check my brake pads, will T4 be required to reset the light? I would normally just ask one of the guys to do sidework, but since I haven't been at work in 6 months I'd feel a little awkward doing that now.
Thank you!

It's pretty straightforward and just about anyone can do it. The light will go out when you replace the sensor. If it doesn't, it's merely an issue of getting the connector just right.

The newer ones are so nice to work on, you don't even have to worry about the air suspension as the bladders are securely affixed to the horns. I would however, suggest printing the pages from the FSM that deal with jacking as the suspension is not as robust as the earlier trucks (IMO).

PT

pdxrovermech

Jul 3, 2009
Portland, OR
KyleT said:
make sure you use OEM (Brembo) rotors and OEM pads. otherwise they WILL squeal.

that makes no sense at all.

if your sensor is worn through then you'll need to buy another one (unless you just want to bypass it). they're not too spendy.

Springsroverfamily

Sep 23, 2005
Colorado Springs Co
I replaced all the rotors pads and both sensors. I didnt use OEM or OEM pads and they dont squeal. I just need to figure the light out. Do I need to disconect the battery to reset the computer?

Last edited:

KyleT

Mar 28, 2007
Fort Worth, TEXAS
check the sensors, if they get worn or damaged, then the light will come on.

is it saying check brake pads?

and I have seen all kinds of non-OEM pads/rotors come in squeeling...

Last edited:

gl4x4

Dec 17, 2010
Layton, UT
the light will reset automatically. no need to do anything other then hook up the new wiring.

to keep the brakes from squealing, i coat the backside of the pad with anti-seize.

Springsroverfamily

Sep 23, 2005
Colorado Springs Co
I did every thing correct my father was helping me out and he did have the new wire on the drivers side streached preaty bad. He thought that that wire needed to be installed in the pads before the pads were installed in the caliper :( I only went inside for a minute. lolHe did help me alot one of the allen bolts would not come out I finaly got it with an idea he had thanks dad. By the way i am very happy with the new break setup. No squeal stops on a dime. I tried ceramic pads this time and slotted and drilled rotors.

Last edited:
LOL-the only problems we've had with these jobs have been pilot error on the part of the tech doing the job. Similarly, ABS sensors are easily torn if you're not paying attention-that's an expensive mistake.

I have only used Napa parts on the newer trucks and have yet to have a squeal problem, in fact, they seem to be less prone to brake noise than all the rest of the Rovers.

They do wear very quickly though, something I attribute to the weight of the truck and much more horsepower than earlier Range Rovers.

Springsroverfamily

Sep 23, 2005
Colorado Springs Co
Figured it out I took about 30 min installing each sensor making sure not to damage them. I just disconnect the battery and everything is reset. By the way id like to get my hands on the guy that routed that rear sensor wire. Thanks for the help.