ARB and oil prob

lunchbox

Apr 20, 2004
St Louis, MO
I have ARB's front and rear. The front one is pissing oil out of the air line at the compressor. I have cleaned out the breathers on the axels, and blew air out of the lines. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Chad

Andrew Homan

Jun 7, 2004
Alaska
Lunchbox I just had a 20 minute conversation with Bill at GBR about this. One explanation he gave made sense. He explained that axle case pressurization can cause this. He had me drill larger holes in the vent tube banjo bolt and clean the lines. So far so good. I'm not saying this is your problem but my rear vent was bad and thats the locker that was spewing oil. Obviously bad seals will do this as well. Just my 2 cents

Phillip Lehn

Dec 11, 2005
Sydney
Hi. Had the same problem. ARB installed it so I took it back to them twice. The second attempt they upgraded the piston housing and seal. This was a year ago and I have used the locker over a hundred times and there is no sign of oil not even a oil mist at the solenoid exhuast on the compressor. I have been told that the newer lockers have the upgrade.
When I get the front locker I will use ARB so they can`t blame the installer. Thats how I trapped them with the rear one. I don`t beleive a blocked breather can cause a problem with a seal that can handle much more pressure from a air compressor as I work with pnuematics for a living.
Phil

A

AKRover

Blocked breathers can push oil through the seals. According to Chris Wood the ARB representative, this is most commonly caused during the installation though. The o-rings are small and delicate, if they are cut or twisted during installation they will leak. I have never worked on a Rover diff so this may not apply because I'm not sure what is used on the diff side to allow the air into the piston. On most ARB the air enters through the bearing cap and the two o-rings located in this assembly are the ones that get damaged.