97 Discovery will not accept fuel

L

Lars97Disco

My 97 Land Rover would not accept fuel from the filler just a couple of days ago, resulting in my not being able to fill the tank. Also, it's running rough, hesitating during acceleration and lurching as I'm cruising at highway speeds. I replaced the plugs, and put a fuel cleaner in the tank. Maybe someone can help me with this? Fuel filter first, then on to the fuel pump?
Regards
Larry

Levi

Jul 27, 2004
Cheyenne, WY
Every once in a while I'll run into a gas pump my disco doesn't like and I have to pull the nozzle out a little and fill really slow or switch pumps.

Search VSS, you may also want to search stepper motor or idle air control if it is running rough. Could be other things but this is a good place to start looking.
I'm sure others will give you some input as well.

jhmover

Apr 23, 2004
California
The fuel filter or fuel pump have nothing to do with putting gas in. I'd solve that first, then start spending money if it doesn't work after you get it where it will take fuel. I know mine won't work once in awhile on some pumps. Usually switching the pump solves the problem. If that doesn't work, going to another gas station with a different type of pump usually works. For other ideas and comments go to search and type in "problems pumping gas" this will pull up a form on this subject.

Is your check engine light coming on? If so you should hook up a code reader and see what codes come up. Better to replace the part that needs replacing as opposed to spending a fortune replacing parts until you finally get lucky and get the right thing changed.

Also, if you put a cleaner in the tank it may have loosened up some crap and plugged the filter, or the pickup in the fuel pump, or the fuel line between the tank and the filter.

Last edited:

Bannon88

Nov 3, 2004
Columbia, IL
I can't help you with the filling issue. But my Disco recently went through the rough acceleration and kick down at highway speeds. It was the fuel filter, I had been running alot of fuel injector cleaner in it thinking this would help. I really think the cleaner dislodged some crap that eventually ended up clogging my fuel filter.

I even checked the fuel pressure at the rail, it was fine. The problems only occurred at highway 55mph+ speeds. The clogged filter wasn't letting enough volume of fuel pass. This led to the kick down and gear searching. Not enough fuel to burn.

Change the fuel filter. You may not solve the problem, but you've eliminate one possible source for real cheap. It may even solve the issue.

Good luck.

L

Lars97Disco

I'm a relatively new Land Rover owner, I've owned it now for a little over a year. So I don't know all the in's and out's but the repairs that I've done thus far have been relatively simple and easy. But I don't know what you guys are talking about when you say the VSS system, I do not have a manual for this vehicle as of date, I know I should and I will, but for now, can someone tell me what the VSS is?
Thanks

MarkP

Apr 23, 2004
Colorado
Several years ago, when my 98' was under warranty, I had this problem. The dealer knew of the issue and fixed it under some TSB I believe. Problem gone. It had to do with the plumbing from the tank to the filler neck.

I suspect you may have the same problem. Also if there is some restriction in the gas venting system, which is part of the filler plumbing, it may cause warning lights and problems delivering fuel through the fuel pump.