another reliable daily driver - '98 Audi A4

cmoore207

Oct 8, 2004
Takoma Park, MD
1998.5 Audi A4. ~131,000 miles but you wouldn't know it to drive it. Dark blue exterior with a couple minor parking dings and scratches from life in Boston. Light gray cloth interior in great shape. Only have room in the garage for one vehicle, and I just bought an SUV whose marque shall remain nameless...

Will have pictures by Saturday. Located in Arlington, VA or Reston, VA. Asking $7000, which is a bit on the high side, but I have full maintenance records dating back to February of 2000, and I just sunk a bunch of money into it to do the 120k service and timing belt.

Here is the cut and paste from my craigslist ad with all the details:

In mid-year 1998, Audi released a facelifted version of the A4 that benefited from more modern head and tail lamps and a revised and more powerful version of the V6 motor (30 valves instead of 12). This is one of those "98 and a half" model year vehicles. It is dark blue with a gray cloth interior.

Audi's 190hp V6 is well known for being "bullet-proof" in its reliability, especially compared to the 1.8T which is prone to blowing turbos if you use anything less than fully synthetic oil ($70 for an oil change? No thanks!).

I am the third owner of this vehicle and it has been meticulously cared for its entire life. The previous owner was an older lady who upgraded to a RAV4 to lug her paintings around to art shows. I have all of her service records dating back to when she purchased the vehicle in February of 2000. I myself put a lot of money into the vehicle; I bought it for my girlfriend to use while she was in grad-school in Boston, and wanted to make sure it would be reliable for her. But, we got engaged and she has moved down to DC, so we no longer need this vehicle.

Okay, now that the story is out of the way, here is some info on the car!

-2.8 liter 30-valve V6, ~131k miles
-5 speed manual transmission
-Front wheel drive (not Quattro)
-Dark blue exterior (with a couple minor parking dings and scrapes)
-Light gray cloth interior (shows little or no wear, very clean, but could use new floor mats)
-Cold weather package (includes heated seats, heated mirrors, pass-thru ski bag)
-Audi Concert stereo system
-XM Radio (Roady XT mounted in the vehicle will be included with sale)
-New brakes and rotors about 7,000 miles ago
-New timing belt and 120,000 mile service completed
-Tires have plenty of life left

As I mentioned, I put a lot of money into this vehicle. In November of 2005 about 6,000 miles ago I had the full 120,000 mile service done, including the timing belt. Beware of other Audis for sale that have not had this done yet, as it alone is a $1500 job required every 90k miles! Also at that time the crankcase breather and radiator were replaced. Total bill for that trip to the dealer was $3285 that you won't have to spend.

The previous owner brought all the other maintenance up to date before I purchased it. Her receipts show that the usual Audi issues such as control arms and tie-rod ends have all recently been serviced (within ~15k miles). New brake pads and rotors were installed about 7,000 miles ago at a cost of almost $800.

The only "problem" I am aware of is that the water-temp gauge only works intermittently. However, the oil-temp gauge does still work, so it?s easy to monitor the engine temp. The car drives smooth, straight, and quiet, just the way it should. Despite being a New England vehicle for most of its life, it has no rust.

The bottom line on this vehicle is that you could probably find one cheaper right here on craigslist, but chances are you will end up dumping a ton of money into it to bring the maintenance up to date. These cars will run forever, but only if they have been taken care of. I have a stack of records and receipts that prove this will be a reliable daily driver for years to come with no anticipated major maintenance on the horizon. I think that makes this vehicle is worth my asking price of $7000.

Sorry, I do not have any pictures available at the moment, but will by Saturday. It will be available to be shown in Arlington, near the Ballston metro, tonight and all weekend, and any evening next week. During business hours next week, I can show it at my office in Reston, but I need one day's notice so that I know to drive it in.

My name is Chris and I can be reached via email at ccm5k at alumni dot virginia dot edu, or on my cell phone at 434-242-6769. The cell forwards to my office line during the day, so I can be reached at any time.

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this!

cmoore207

Oct 8, 2004
Takoma Park, MD
More pics now online at: http://picasaweb.google.com/cmoore207/AudiForSale

BTW, did I mention it gets an EPA-estimated 29mpg highway?

Nobody on the Audi boards seems to be interested owing to it not being turbo-charged and not having Quattro. Did just fine in New England snow with just FWD though. I don't think price is a problem with them... or they are much more kind and gentle with thread crapping than DWeb. What a bunch of wimps. All the same, open to reasonable offers.

sven

FWIW I have a 00 A4 quattro 1.8T and I tried the audi boards, craigslist, and even ebay. It went upto 7k on ebay but didnt meet my reserve of 7500. So I said F this, Im keepin it! These A4s are great dailydrivers. I love mine!

cmoore207

Oct 8, 2004
Takoma Park, MD
Another vehicle in my life and its still not another rover... I promise I am just waiting for an import D90.

Traded the Audi for $2500 and a very very nice 1988 BMW 325 convertible. This will make e30 #3 for me.

Attachments

• DSCN0050.jpg
    DSCN0050.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 14