The Scoop on U-joints

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Well..I decided to try to get the final word on what's what relative to the recent several threads on DII front propshafts.
This information is direct from Neapco and Spicer technical support.
1. Neapco PN 1-0005, also sold at Advance Auto boxed as PDQ 1-0005.
This u-joint is made by Neapco and sold with the Neapco box, and also reboxed as PDQ for Advance. PDQ u-joints are normally not made by Neapco, but as the volume is low, Neapco makes these particular ones.
(Note: {10-26-08} It appears that Advance no longer carries them in the store. They do online and also Autozone still carries them)
2. Spicer 5-4x. Still shown as active in the Spicer sytem, but not made by Spicer. They are purchaced from an outside vendor. This might explain the conflicting reports of where the zerk fitting is located (end cap vs. cross) depending on which batch/vendor they come from at the time.

Neapco's PN for the center bearing kit is 7-0081NG. It must have the NG suffiz to denote it being non-greasble. The 7-0081 has different dimensions. The 7-0081NG crosses to the Precision and NAPA 617.

Last edited:

Dan Erickson

May 27, 2005
Cincinnati, Ohio
Good Info.

Thanks for doing the leg work and posting the results.

I'm going to print this out and keep it with the rest of my tech info.

Peace,

Dan

sven

D

D Chapman

ptschram said:
The driveshafts from GBR are identical to those from a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Same numbers on the castings even.

Probably just the joints, right? Not the whole shaft.....???? I'd say toyota is close, too. Maybe...

MUSKYMAN

Apr 19, 2004
OverBarrington IL
GBR(six states tom woods former employer) and Tom woods are just selling spicer stuff as 'thier own brand'

because of years of working whith wheelers they know what part numbers to select and weld togather to make the shafts.

any spicer dealer /driveshaft shop can do pretty much the same thing as long as they know what you are looking for.

both six states and tom woods are really good at and creative in the combinations of spicer parts they select for each job based on the suspension system and the angles that it can create.

I am using a extended slip joint in the front to get some more clearence at the right cat. that way I can have a thicker diameter shaft and still get the clearence I need. I just wish they would have measured twice and cut once:banghead:

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
As of today I can definitely confirm that the PDQ 1-0153 (crossover from the Spicer 5-153x 1310 series used in the GBR rear DC shaft) is not made by Neapco. Unlike the PDQ 1-0005 (used in the DII front) which is made by Neapco.
I expected this based on what Neapco told me since it's a very common u-joint, but hadn't actually checked with my own eyes.

Thought I'd let folks know so you don't waste your time with the PDQ 1-0153.

Last edited:

daven5735

Oct 3, 2007
Dallas
Tom, I just bought (4) Precision #344 to do front and rear of my '99 D1. I didn't screw up did I? This is the first time rebuilding these shafts. These are also made in USA.

daven5735

Oct 3, 2007
Dallas
Here's an update of an old subject that just may save someone some bucks. Neapco (made in USA with zerk in cap) private labels the 1-0005 to Autozone under their house brand Duralast. Their p/n is 1-0005DL and it is $12.00. CarQuest wanted $26.00 for the exact same u-joint in the Neapco box.