Kingsborne Spark plug wires

D

drnknmnky13

Anyone used these? I can get a set for $50 shipped on Ebay. That's for 8mm and in the discoII lengths. The BMW guys swear by them. I know most here love the magnecors. I'm OK with buying them... but if anyone has tried the Kingsborne's I'd like to hear about it.

Also should I just go ahead and buy the intake gasket and take the intake off when I change the wires? Or can it be done without taking the intake off?

Thanks in advance folks :)

kennith

Apr 22, 2004
North Carolina
HAHA.

I'll tell you I couldn't do it with the intake on there. I even went by a few shops after giving up and they all wanted upwards of 270 dollars to swap the wires. I've got to do my valve covers and PCV system anyway, so I'm just going to wait until I have all that crap off of there.

Some people have managed, but my hands just won't fit back there.

Go outside and try to remove a few. Make sure to label them. If you can't remove them, order the gasket.

I honestly don't see how people swap them without removing the parts.

As for the wires, I don't know the brand.

Cheers,

Kennith

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
I'm using the Kingsbourne with no problems. I've had them on there for about 4 months now.
I could get my hands back to the coils. I took the wire bundle out of it's clips to get to them. I don't have secondary air injection.

D

drnknmnky13

ptschram said:
Bah! suck it up and do it without tearing it apart.

I was planning on at least trying to do it without pulling the intake. I work on all my bikes and the spaces on them are even tighter than on the rover. I figured I might buy the gasket just in case. My hands are already butchered and scarred anyway :)

pjkbrit

Apr 23, 2004
I have an 04 with 2nd air injection...I cannot even begin to get my hands back there and want to upgrade to Magnacors sooner or later. Who was the incredible wanker who thought jamming the coil packs down there could ever be a good idea?

D

drnknmnky13

pjkbrit said:
I have an 04 with 2nd air injection...I cannot even begin to get my hands back there and want to upgrade to Magnacors sooner or later. Who was the incredible wanker who thought jamming the coil packs down there could ever be a good idea?

I imagine they felt it wasn't something people would be doing all the time. That's my guess at least.

Soooo... Anyone use the Kingsborne wires?

rovercanus

Apr 24, 2004
drnknmnky13 said:
Soooo... Anyone use the Kingsborne wires?

Allow me to quote myself.
Rovercanus said:
I'm using the Kingsbourne with no problems. I've had them on there for about 4 months now.
I could get my hands back to the coils. I took the wire bundle out of it's clips to get to them. I don't have secondary air injection.

D

drnknmnky13

rovercanus said:
Allow me to quote myself.

yea I saw that. I guess I meant anyone else used them. I was hoping for more than one person ya know.

Dan Erickson

May 27, 2005
Cincinnati, Ohio
I just could not seem to get my hands back there and see what I was doing so I bit the bullet and removed the upper intake.

It really was not bad at all.

Here is my post from a last May:

I replaced mine with 8mm Magnecores a while back.

I really could not see how it could be done very practically without removing the upper air intake (I tried for a while, but my hands suffered).

The upper air intake is really not that bad at all to remove (may want to have a gasket handy for refitting though).

I have had the upper air intake off about 4 or 5 times now and here are a few things that worked for me:

-When removing the upper air intake there is a stud off of the passenger side of the intake that needs to come off. (This secures the metal coolant lines to/from the heater matrix). I remember it being a little tricky (I think), so I left it off to make future intake removals easier. The coolant lines seem plenty sturdy with only being bolted to the accessory drive bracket.

-Removing the entire plastic portion of the air intake from the air cleaner to the throttle body (including MAF sensor), just keeps things out of the way.

-Disconnecting the hose from the IAC valve to the upper air intake makes it much easier to get at the bolt under it.

-After disconnecting the return line from the throttle body de-icer, I pulled the plastic line all the way out and tied back. This helps when refitting the upper air intake as it can get in the way of setting it in place. After the intake is refitted the line can just be poked back through and reconnected.

-Removing the four screws holding the coil pack on, helped me to move it around a bit when unplugging/plugging in the wires and is also necessary for removal of the upper air intake as the top ones bolt to it. The two on the top were easy to get to using an 8mm socket with an extension and a swivel (on the socket end). I remember the two on the bottom being a PITA, so they never went back in. The bottom of the coil pack has a clip that clips onto the fuel rail, so I thought that between the top screws and the clip there was plenty of support for the coil pack. The coil pack has to be pushed/tilted back out of the way in order for the intake to be removed.

-After disconnecting all of the other obvious things like connectors for IAC, fuel purge, TPS sensor, brake booster, the other hose for the TB de-icer, and both throttle cables, the intake should be ready to unbolt and remove. Unclipping the wiring harness on the fire wall and letting it rest on top of the clips helps to keep it out of the way during removal.

-Once the intake was removed I put a towel or rag over the lower intake ports to prevent anything from dropping down there (I know it's just common sense).

-It helped for me to climb in from the front and lay with my belly/chest on the alternator/AC pump and look directly down to see the top of the coil pack. At this point, I pulled the wiring harness on the fire wall toward me to get a better look.

-I removed each wire working from the top outer, then top inner, bottom outer and finally bottom inner. The reverse of this should be the order in which they are refitted as it prevents wires from obstructing your view or getting in the way of the one you are working on. I labeled each wire as I took them off the spark plug end, and matched as well as I could with the new ones (not a perfect match with the Mags). I wrapped a piece of tape on the coil end of each new wire and marked with wire number. I wrapped the tape in such a way as to leave a tab that could easily be flipped/turned to make reading the number easier.

-I actually connected each wire at the spark plug end and had the other end of each group bundled near each end of the coil pack, so once I was laying across the engine, I did not have to get back down for anything.

-I put some dielectric grease in each of the plug wires which made plugging them into the coil pack much easier (just don't get any on the outside of the wire, or it may be hard to handle them).

-The RAVE CD has a picture of the wires connected to the coil pack (as looking from the back of the truck). Printing this out and having it up in the engine compartment with you helps alot. Not only does it show the correct numbering, but it also shows the proper routing of the wires, which also helps to keep it orderly.

-Again, working from the plugs in the bottom center of the coil pack, then bottom outer, top inner and finally top outer makes installation much easier.

-Being able to move the coil pack around a little while fitting the wires also made it easier for me.

-It’s a good idea to make sure the coil pack is pushed back out of the way before attempting to re-fit the upper air intake (it burned me a few times).

I have to say that doing the work up front to get the upper air intake out of the way really seemed to make actual replacement of the wires rather painless and orderly.

As I said before, this is what I have found to work for me. Others may not agree….

Dan

D

drnknmnky13

I have no clue how people get this job done without removing the intake. I couldn't even get the wires off while the intake was on. Maybe I have gorilla hands.

Ericksdf thanks for the writeup. Very helpfull. Hopefully I wont be doing this job again anytime soon.

Ohh on a side note. I had some knocking that seemed to go away when I put the new wires on. Not sure what that's about but always happy when noises go away. :)

F

frickjp

kennith said:
I honestly don't see how people swap them without removing the parts.

Cold engine and a tech with small, skinny, long hands. He should have been an OB, but he likes these garbage cans instead.

D

drnknmnky13

flyfisher11 said:
John wins! That is the best way to do it:applause:

I tried that. I have short fingers and large hands (keep the jokes to yourselves :) ). I couldn't even pull the wire off in the back. My hands were squashed against the firewall. I need to borrow a neighborhood kid or something.

LamaKockLee

May 25, 2004
Hi,

Not sure if I can be much help, but I bought a set for my disco just in case i damaged one during a spark plug change. It however is still sitting in the garage. What I can tell you is that it is not a spiral would wire like the magnecores. It is looks to be the carbon/graphite impregnated core type. No special Beru connector like the website says.. just crimped ends... Not angled either if I recall. I can get pictures if anybody wants.

As for 50 bucks.. I think i got them cheaper because they are not too far from where I live. I just called them on the phone and paid via credit card.. and went and picked them up. Really nice people. Asked me what color I wanted to. Red of course! You can buy direct from them as well i think.

http://www.kingsborne.com/

Again.. I don't see anything super special about the wires. did come with some dielectric grease though.:eek:

lkl

B

Best4x4

I changed my 03's wires without taking the intake off. I just laid up on the engine after removing the LEV pipes. Took me in all about 2 hours, but it was worth it.

Tad

rmuller

Apr 28, 2004
Northern NJ
www.njlr.org
I did my wires yesterday with the help of someone who's done them before.. it took maybe 30 minutes to take the intake off and maybe 5 minutes to put it back on...

lordkenyon

Oct 24, 2005
A
drnknmnky13 said:
Anyone used these? I can get a set for $50 shipped on Ebay. That's for 8mm and in the discoII lengths. The BMW guys swear by them. I know most here love the magnecors. I'm OK with buying them... but if anyone has tried the Kingsborne's I'd like to hear about it.

Also should I just go ahead and buy the intake gasket and take the intake off when I change the wires? Or can it be done without taking the intake off?

Thanks in advance folks :)

I just got a set in last week. Actually, they're only $40 shipped for the 8mm any color if you just call Kingsborne directly and avoid some middleman on eBay. The D1 isn't running yet, but the quality of wires and the boots is quite good. Easily as good if not better than the MSD ones I had on my old 3000GT VR-4. (www.kingsborne.com) I'll let you know how well they work after the amp module gets in and I get it running this week!