Attachments for lashing fiberglass pole to roof rack?

Rover Puppy

Jun 10, 2004
Tallahassee, Florida
I have a question that maybe someone can answer?

I have a fiberglass pole I want to carry on my roof rack sometimes. It is a retractable pole that extends really high.

I have an aluminum J-Pole Antenna that was machined for me so that it separates for easy transport. All I have to do is screw the ends together and it works great.

The J-Pole Antenna was made to attach to the fiberglass pole. I can throw that thing up in seconds. The entire rig is almost as light as a feather and I wrap 2 velcro straps around the pole 2 secure it to the side of my truck at the base (on my rock sliders) and further up (either around the door piller or the roof rack).

The range and performance of this set up kicks butt. It doesn't matter what the weather conditions are or the other conditions that can affect radio transmissions. I throw it up at home when I need to make contact in a distant location when my (very good) mobile antennas can't handle the job.

Anyway, it works so good that I want to be able to take it with me. I made this decision this afternoon when I was able to listen in on a major incident that was occuring far away today (mind you, I wasn't doing anything illegal, I'm allowed to - I just can't reach it with my regular gear). I've decided that this goofy thing would work great in mutual aid operations.

The J-Pole fits easily in my truck in a protective bag. Obviously, the fiberglass pole won't fit in my truck, so I need to carry it on my safari rack. It used to be my palm tree trimmer - well, I guess it still is - I just removed the saw and cutting portion from the pole one day while I was playing antenna experimenting. I can easily reattach the saw and cutter when I need to trim my palm trees.

Years ago, when I was an avid windsurfer, we carried our boards, sails, and masts on Thule Racks. For the masts, there was an attachment that you could slip the mast into, then pull this heavy duty plastic thingy across it and totally secure it.

Do any of you carry poles or masts on your roofracks?

Is there anything like that available on the market today?

I've still got it up in my driveway, I'll go measure the pole and take a pic of what I'm describing in case that helps.

I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Best Regards :) Jamie, Blue, and Angel

The Limey

Dec 3, 2004
Clermont, Florida
Just buy some 3" pvc pipe and add 2 clean outs on either end...attach to roof rack with worm drive clamps.
It'll look like a plumbers truck btu will serve the purpose...for very few $$$

Rover Puppy

Jun 10, 2004
Tallahassee, Florida
Thanks Marcus! :)

Here are the pics. It's kind of hard to see the top of the J-Pole, but it all of my antenna's have pink tape on them for easier visibility (yes, at times I misplace my antenna's too if we are playing "musical antenna's trying to get the best signal - the "pink"helps me to locate them when they're on the ground... especially in the dark :eek: ).

Anyway, when you look at the side view pic of my truck...

The antenna toward the forward section (showing on the left side of the pic) is the fiberglass pole, the pole extended, and the J-Pole attached). It's kind of hard to see, look way up above the tree, then go to your left, you'll see the faint pink of the tape in the sky. That is the top of the J-Pole. The two ofher antennas, showing above my truck on the right side are the two "everyday" antennas that are always on my truck. (My pink firestik cb antenna is the one on the rear bumper, it only reaches just above my roofrack line - which is sufficient for my uses.)

The other pic is sideways, sorry about that, but that is the only way it will upload. If you tilt your head to see it, you can see how I "attach it" to my truck. Well, it's not really attached -- it is light enough that it stays in place by itself, but those straps are just to catch it if it decides to fall down.

The fiberglass pole is approximately 6-7 feet when it is not extended.

I hope the pics help, I'm trying my best to describe this in words, but I don't think I'm doing a real good job of it. :(

Thanks again for any advice.

Attachments

• DSCF0003.jpg
    DSCF0003.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 40
  • DSCF0005.jpg
    DSCF0005.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 35

flyfisher11

May 25, 2005
Wolf Laurel NC
The Limey said:
Just buy some 3" pvc pipe and add 2 clean outs on either end...attach to roof rack with worm drive clamps.
It'll look like a plumbers truck btu will serve the purpose...for very few $$$

X2 That is the way I have carried big surf-casting rods before. Some of them are about the size of your antenna. You can get the correct size cut and threaded at Lowes or Home Depot the you can screw the ends on and off as needed. The screw caps have big square lugs so you can put a wrench on them if need be. You can also wrap or paint the pvc to match your rack or truck or whatever you desire.

One more thing, if you are worried about the antenna getting banged around in there you can use bubble rap around it to snug it up or foam pipe insulation.

Good Luck!

Mike
:seeya:

Last edited:

Rover Puppy

Jun 10, 2004
Tallahassee, Florida
Oh, WOW!!

THANKS!! :applause:

That looks perfect, I will get some of those!! :)

The antenna itself fits in my truck just fine. The nice man who made my satellite antenna made the J-Pole for me. My satellite antenna fits easily inside my pelican cases. Since that works so well, he was kind enough to lathe my J-Pole for me too, so that it will fit in my pelicans. Because the aluminum antennas are so light, storing them in my rooftop cases makes good sense. With all the gear I carry, weight management is a necessity. ;)

I will check the marine stores in my area to see if they have those in stock. If not, I'll order them.

Thanks again!

p.s. Thanks for not teasing me about my pink antenna tape. One of the guys here teases me alot about my "pink ribbons", as he calls them. They all laugh at me, but I don't care.