Welding vs Bolt-on

skippy3k

Aug 15, 2005
Northern California
Is there any preference between welding on recovery points versus bolt on? I seem to recall reading somewhere that using bolts is a more reliable, but I can't find that reference now.

I'm looking at front recovery options for my P38. I've got an idea, but it requires welding. I've seen a front pull recovery attempt go bad once (broken Jate), and I don't want to recreate that event again. If I did weld on recovery points, I would have it professionally done by a competant welder.

Thanks.
Scott

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Welding is stronger than bolts, but only if you're really good at welding, use the correct rod and everything is clean. For your average person, grade 8 bolts would be the more secure.

JSQ

Apr 21, 2004
San Diego, CA
The problem with welding is there just isn't a really definitive way to know how strong it is. All welds are a little different. Bolt on is a lot more easy to quantify.

DannyDisco

Aug 9, 2005
JSQ said:
The problem with welding is there just isn't a really definitive way to know how strong it is. All welds are a little different. Bolt on is a lot more easy to quantify.

Bolt ons are also a hell of a lot easier to replace if you do break them. It's all a matter of which you think you'll break first, the mount or the hook-up.

lwg

If you weld on recovery points, be sure to get the D-Ring tab welded from both sides of the face. I do this by drilling two very large holes just behind the D-Ring mounting point and throwing some welds there as well as the front.

Reed

Apr 20, 2004
Bonny Doon, CA
Can;t really speak to the welding question, but bolt on recovery points allow you to fasten a doubler behind the piece your bolting on to. This helps distriubute the load and will make it less likey that you will pull the recovery point off of whatever (bumper) you bolted it on to.