DI CDL Conversion into a DII (How To)

DannyDisco

Aug 9, 2005
This will be updated over a couple of days so stick with me, figured someone should do it with EE's Link having died and all.....

These directions are applicable for most Discovery Series II's but your vehicle will be different in it's own little irritating ways. To tell if your truck is a candidate you need to either check your transfer case number (#'s starting with 41D or 42D will work, #'s starting with 61D, 62D, 69D or 70D will not) or check the top of your transfercase above the front output shaft for the CDL nipple, a picture of this "nipple" will be posted in a later segment. The general rule of thumb is "all" model year 1999 & 2000 DII's will have the nipple as will early year 2001's. Late 2001-> 2003's are SOL, you'll have to get more parts to complete the conversion. If you have a 2004, then you suck and you have no need to do this.

Step 1) Collection of Parts

A complete DI transfercase shift mechanism as is illustrated below. Common sources are junkyards and private parts people on DiscoWeb. The 4 bolts that will mount the shifter body to the transmission are also needed as the DII shifter is mounted to the bottom of the transmission cover plate and the DI shifter must be mounted to the transmission. The tapped holes are there in the right locations, but the bolts are MIA.

In addition you'll need: numerous mid sized rivets, a pop riveter, a drill/bits, usual cast of hand tools, and some grease.

The HI-LO shifter on a DII is operated off of a cable mechanism where as the DI used a solid link (#1), and (#2) actuates the CDL nipple. It is a good idea to try to turn your CDL nipple first to see if it needs a blast of PB Blaster or WD-40 to loosen up the mud/rust overnight.

All told the entire swap should take about a day's worth of fitting with all parts present and accounted for.

Once your parts are all accounted for it is a good idea to clean them all and inspect them for any torn or deteriorating pieces. Replacing any bad parts now will be much easier than when the parts are burried in your truck. Putting new grease in the friction areas of the mechanisms now will help avoid your mechanism "locking up" at some later date.

Last edited:

DannyDisco

Aug 9, 2005
Parts Picture II

Note: The DI HI-LO arm is not in the following pictures :banghead:

Last edited:

DannyDisco

Aug 9, 2005
Interior disassembly (center console)

1) Remove all crap from your center console, remove the 2 bolts in the center console bucket, as well as the two that are hidden under the rubber mat in front of the HI-LO lever.

2) Place the transmission selector in Neutral (N), squeeze the "trigger" button and pull straight up on the shift knob. This will take a good amount of force. Pull off the plastic pipe on the shift pole and then pull up on the shifter surround fascia. Disconnect all electrical connections.

3) Pull up on the edge of the leather boot of the HI-LO lever to dissengage it's clips. Then unscrew the HI-LO knob.

4) Pull off the cover to the window switch panel (it'll come off, make sure to pull straight out to avoid breaking the plastic pins on it's back side). Unscrew the 4 screws on the inner window switch panel. Unclip all electrical connections (5 or 7 if you have heated seats) and remove the inner window switch panel. Unclip the hand brake boot from the center console and remove the pin that attaches the lever to the drum brake wire. Pull the hand brake lever to the vertical position.

5) Disconnect the wiring to the cigar lighter and carefully pull the center console off of the transmission well.

B

Badfysh

the file is out there floating around. I have a copy of it.

DannyDisco

Aug 9, 2005
Disassembly (controls and undercarriage)

1) Remove the foam stuff, keep it, it makes a huge difference in NVH levels inside your truck.

2) Remove the 3 bolts that fasten the transmission shifter assembly to the body plate, remove the star washer that secures the transmission control cable to the shifter assembly, take off the C-clip from the cable, and seperate the control cable from the shifter assembly. Take the rubber boot off of the control cable, mine could not be removed without ripping.

3) Undo the 4 bolts that secure the HI-LO shifter to the body plate.

4) Drill out the rivets that connect the body plate to the transmission well. This plate will be very hot if your truck has been run recently, as will everything underneath it. Remove the body plate and clean off the bottom.

5) Remove the clips that secure HI-LO shifter to the HI-LO control cable (#1 in image) as well as from the HI-LO control cable (#2) to the transfercase's control arm (#3). Remove the DII HI-LO shifter. Procede to remove the HI-LO control cable, this will require getting under the truck and lot's of WD-40. It has to be removed to allow the new shifter to be put into LO.

Last edited:

DannyDisco

Aug 9, 2005
Assembly

1) Place the DI shifter assembly (easiest with CDL lever attached) onto the transfer case and attach it using four 8_1.25 metric bolts. Connect the CDL lever and subassembly to the CDL nipple with a nyloc nut. (#1)

2) The HI-LO selector arm (#2) will need to be bent to connect between the shifter and the transfer case's control arm. Heat, a vise, and a BFH help with this.

3) While everthing is pulled apart test both the CDL and the HI-LO selections but putting your transmission in neutral and engaging both. Note: you may have to roll forward/reverse for the CDL to engage. The CDL light should light up if it is fully engaged, if not then adjust the mechanism with the adjuster screw, similar for the HI-LO selection.

4) Reassemble everything AFTER ensuring everything works as it should.

5) Go break something

Last edited:

DannyDisco

Aug 9, 2005
Badfysh said:
the file is out there floating around. I have a copy of it.

I know, this is just easier to find for newbs, and I have too much free time on my hands. It gets to play tomorrow (rain ended the work today and fine tuning ain't done) and we'll see what I can break.

WILL.TILLERY said:
Nice- congrats on the new addition.

And thank you for the parts, the second part got here today, hence everything being installed.

DannyDisco

Aug 9, 2005
No driveshaft yet, I'm in no hurry, gotta get new u-joints for it and balanced before I can start on that episode. Sorry about the cost, I'll donate to DWeb 20% next time I sell something.

Finishing work will be put up tomorrow, hopefully.

DannyDisco

Aug 9, 2005
Thon of a Bith...... I think these are in the same order

Attachments

• CDL Exploded.jpg
    CDL Exploded.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 284

DannyDisco

Aug 9, 2005
Note: The DI HI-LO arm is not in the following pictures

Attachments

• CDL1.jpg
    CDL1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 237

DannyDisco

Aug 9, 2005
1) Remove the foam stuff, keep it, it makes a huge difference in NVH levels inside your truck.

2) Remove the 3 bolts that fasten the transmission shifter assembly to the body plate, remove the star washer that secures the transmission control cable to the shifter assembly, take off the C-clip from the cable, and seperate the control cable from the shifter assembly. Take the rubber boot off of the control cable, mine could not be removed without ripping.

3) Undo the 4 bolts that secure the HI-LO shifter to the body plate.

4) Drill out the rivets that connect the body plate to the transmission well. This plate will be very hot if your truck has been run recently, as will everything underneath it. Remove the body plate and clean off the bottom.

5) Remove the clips that secure HI-LO shifter to the HI-LO control cable (#1 in first image) as well as from the HI-LO control cable (#2 in second) to the transfercase's control arm (#1 in second). Remove the DII HI-LO shifter. Procede to remove the HI-LO control cable, this will require getting under the truck and lot's of WD-40. It has to be removed to allow the new shifter to be put into LO.

Attachments

• Tunnel 1.jpg
    Tunnel 1.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 263