DiscoWeb Message Boards

Go Back   DiscoWeb Message Boards > DiscoWeb Technical Boards > Discovery - Technical Discussions

Old 03-22-2006, 04:38 PM   #1
robertofollia

Default D2 MAF sensor-cross reference

Hi all,
To all having a D2 with a reluctant MAF sensor, I post here what I have searched/found. You all have helped me so much, specially Chris, with my misfiring, Low power issues that I will try to help you, even if I'm across the pond.

MAF part # BOSCH part #
ERR7171 (D2 4.0) 0 280 217 532
MHK100800 (D2 4.6) 0 280 218 010

According to LandRover's own Micro cat, both are interchangeable. When mine did fail, the dealer didn't have a replacement (it was 3 weeks before and it still has not arrived). Not a very common part in Spain.
But... they had the MAF from a Rover 75 CDTi (2-litre BMW engine). They dissassembled the MAF and. Voil?. Part # of the sensor itself equivalent. Not only it looked as if it would fit but it fitted. No more fault codes.

Sensor itself Bosch part # F00C2G2029.
Pierburg manufacture MAFs for many cars and have a cross-references, but this one is not listed. I will try to find another from Pierburg that fits and works (Merc E-Class and Vito for instance). Watch this space!

Regards

Robert
1992 LR Santana 88"
1995 RR Classic 300Tdi
1999 D2 V8
2004 D2 Td5

Last edited by robertofollia; 03-22-2006 at 04:41 PM.
robertofollia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:41 PM   #2
frickjp

VW MAF should work as well.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:23 AM   #3
lifestyler

I just got a quote from Repco for a MAF (Part # 0 280 217 532)...AU$531.

I noticed Robert, that you mentioned a sensor (Part # F00C2G2029).

Please enlighten me:

Is the MAF a whole unit with the sensor inserted and it's only the sensor that stuffs up, so all you need to do is replace the sensor and not the whole unit?

I had a look on the net and found the following:

http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=243

Would something like that do the trick?

Cheers and TIA

Erron
Old 03-23-2006, 07:32 AM   #4
robertofollia

Hi, Erron,
The MAF Assembly consists of the sensor and its housing, all together as one unit. The only thing that fails and needs to be replaced is the sensor itself, but... the sensor itself is not available separately....they want to bill us for the housing as well. Some Pierburg replacement ones are available separately, much cheaper, but I've got to check compatibility. I have been told by a workshop in northern Spain that Pierburg MAFs last 2 times longer than Bosch (in VW Tdi engines. They fit the Merc part).

Changing the MAF sensor unit (sensor+housing) is just a matter of unclipping the electrical plug and the ducts, and swapping units.

But... changing the sensor itself you will need a special torx 5-pan screwdriver. The bolt itself has a pin in the center to prevent a normal torx screwdriver being used.

Jeffrey, you listed a VW MAF as a fitting unit, as direct-fit replacement. Is that the Tdi one? The Merc Vito Series and C,D,E,S-Class270 and 320 CDI seem to fit, too. Another thing is if they are compatible and work as they should.

VW-Audi MAF Tdi Pierburg part # 722684080
Merc CDI MAF Pierburg part # 722684070
These part # can be considereably cheaper as no housing is bought. But... not warrantied to fit or work. Jeffrey said the VW fits, I expect to be this one. I only used the old said "it will fit if it looks as if it will fit"
These parts are the sensor itself and you should use your old housing. Blow old housing well to keep it clean. When fitting sensor itself it hasan arrow which points the air flow direction. Be sure it is fitted the right way round Otherwise your rover will go crazy.

You will need the special dismantling tools. Erron, the link you supplied me with was the same I have listed as the Merc part. If you zoom the photo you will see stamped in the sensor the part# I told you.

It looks nearly the same as the Bosch MAF of my V8.

Good luck and best regards

Robert

Last edited by robertofollia; 03-23-2006 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:41 AM   #5
robertofollia

Erron take a look here
http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...Pr3_PcY_BIN_IT

much cheaper.

There is a very interesting link here
http://45zs.info/75Zt/R75maf.htm

The Rover 75 cdti and the D2 V8 MAF sensor itself are a direct fit (not the housing)
Regards,
Robert

Last edited by robertofollia; 03-23-2006 at 08:13 AM.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:19 AM   #6
frickjp

FTR, We use 2 seperate MAF units on Bosch engines. Range part is almost $400. D2 part is about $160. Same innards fit both. We use the D2 sensor on the Range when it's customer pay, as it's half the price for the same part.
I cannot say with 100% certainty that all these are interchangeable. I should look into it, it would be nice to reduce the customer cost on this frequently failing part.
The gas VW sensor is interchangeable with the Diesel sensor on some models, 2000-ish vintage. It is also interchangeable with the MB sensor on some models.
I swapped a bad MAF from an MB once, (V12) and it set the usual 171/174 codes on my D2. It ran fine, as they usually do, on the Bosch Disco, but it set codes. There was no change on the MB V12 with my good sensor on it, as it had an engine harness and two ECU's full of oil.
The VW Beetle MAF is cheapest here in the states, about $35 or so. It would be worth a shot.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:05 PM   #7
robertofollia

Jeffrey,
Then the VW MAF you say is a direct-fit in the Bosch housing, and does not throw any codes? This is great! It would be great to know the specific model and I would search the Pierburg part # cross reference.

I will keep you informed.

Best regards and thanks again
Robert
Old 03-24-2006, 03:00 AM   #8
lifestyler

Robert: Thanks for that info...I thinks me might have to get a new sensor if my wire swap doesn't fix my mis-fires...

Jeffrey: Yes, if you can get a code for the VW MAF and it works with a 99 D2 and doesn't trip any codes, this sounds great Better than paying AU$531!

Cheers

Erron
Old 03-24-2006, 10:43 AM   #9
Jaime

Any hope for the D1 MAF??
Jaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:29 PM   #10
lifestyler

Hi all,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but have we the correct Pierburg replacement for a Bosch MAF sensor (Part number F00C2G2029)?

When searching the Net, this was found:

http://www.tdiparts.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=243

They mentioned that this sensor works with the BMW 320D, 525D, 530D that use the Bosch F00C2G2029.

Robert, you also mentioned the Merc E-Class and Vito...well, if you look at the following URL:

http://www.msi-motor-service.com/dow...appref_web.pdf

...it mentions that the Pierburg 7.22684.07.0 works with the E-Class and Vito. Now this is the same number stamped on the Sensor in the first URL I mentioned.

Based on this cross-reference, do we have confirmation that a Pierburg 7.22684.07.0 is a direct replacement for the Bosch F00C2G2029?

Cheers

Erron
Old 03-26-2006, 09:32 AM   #11
swhite832

Yah...do we? My maf is bad would love to replace it with an inexpensive one.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:34 PM   #12
lifestyler

For those interested, the Australian Pierburg Master Distributor:

J & L Edwards (Wholesale only)
15/10 Chilvers Road
Thornleigh NSW 2120
Tel: 02 9875 1010
jedwards@hutch.com.au

The Melbourne outlet for Pierburg:

Premier Auto Trade
03 9585 7993

Cheers

Erron
Old 03-27-2006, 07:49 AM   #13
robertofollia

Erron,

I think you are right and that the Pierburg part # you list is a direct fit for the Bosch one.
there can be just a slight problem... The Bosch MAF has a built-in temperature sensor which measures air temp. I was told by a Rover 75 cdti MAF swapper, who by the way manufactures and sells an add-on to the MAF and measures air temp, but I do not think this will be needed in a V8, it's for the BMW Tdi engine.

But if Jeffrey told the VW (and BMW, MErc, MAFS are the same) and work , and the Pierburg guy says it's a direct fit for the F00C2G2029, I would give it a try.

Good luck and best regards

Robert
1992 Santana 88", 1995 RRClassic, 1999 D2 V8 manual, 2004 D2 Td5
Old 03-27-2006, 09:10 AM   #14
lifestyler

Hi Robert.

I've looked at the specs for the Pierburg 7.22684.07.0 and it *seems* it comes with the temperature sensor. It lists this as optional, however I'm assuming it means the ECU has the option to use this pin 1.

Here's a couple of URL's:

http://www.x-desk.net/ximages/6166_pgpi0020en.pdf
http://www.x-desk.net/ximages/21302_pgsi0079en.pdf

The second URL lists some general OBD info and testing procedures that you could prob. use for the Bosch unit as well.

Tomorrow I'm going to test the Bosch unit and make sure it's not 100% dead. If it is dead then I'll be ordering a Pierburg 7.22684.07.0. If it's not 100% dead then I'll be ordering a MAFAM MF1p (from http://45zs.info/75Zt/R75maf.htm) to boost the signal coming from the Bosch unit.

Cheers

Erron
Old 03-27-2006, 10:15 AM   #15
swhite832

I am assuming when you say "a direct replacement" it means the plug from a 4.0 2000 model will fit as well?
Old 03-27-2006, 09:36 PM   #16
RoverChic

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite832
I am assuming when you say "a direct replacement" it means the plug from a 4.0 2000 model will fit as well?

Quote:
1999-02 D2 115.00 NEW
99-02 4.6 RANGE-DISCO 03-04 230.00 NEW

D1 96-99 Two Used With Less Than 76k 100.00 Each

SHIPPING IS 10.00 ON ALL MAFS
Call Will Tillery........

Quote:
Full Name:
WILL TILLERY
Biography:
ROVERGUY PARTS 804.539.5845
RoverChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 04:55 AM   #17
robertofollia

Hi Erron,
the links from Pierburg absolutely rock! I did not manage to find them, well you found them for us! Thanks a lot! Hope your test performs OK. We look forward to your report

Regards
Robert
1999 D2 V8 (among others)
Old 03-28-2006, 09:22 AM   #18
swhite832

Ditto, when it stops raining I will put my MAF thru the test outlined on that site. Someone who knows how ought to put that stuff on the technical board.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:50 PM   #19
lifestyler

Hi all,

I have spoken to Pierburg Australia and they are coming back to me to confirm if Pin 1 on their sensor includes a temperature sensor. If it does, then the 7.22684.07.0 is a direct replacement for the Bosch unit, if it doesn't then you will need to purchase a separate IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor and plug this into the side of the MAF housing.

Here's info on the connectors:

http://www.members.aol.com/roverron3...e/pierburg.htm

Here's some pin information:

http://www.geocities.com/tech4tdi/pages/maf.html

Here's a comparison between Bosch and Pierburg:

http://www.geocities.com/tech4tdi/pages/cdi_maf.html

Here's more detailed Bosch info:

http://www.guzzimental.com/documents...%20Sensors.pdf
http://aa.bosch.de/advastaboschaa/Pr...&publication=1

Some output curves/readings to test your MAF sensor (to give you a guide re RPM and Voltage):

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/showp...2&postcount=35
http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/printthre...8&page=2&pp=15

Cheers

Erron

Last edited by lifestyler; 03-29-2006 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
lifestyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:52 AM   #20
swhite832

Thanks lifestyler

Let us know what you come up with. I need a MAF
Old 03-30-2006, 12:26 PM   #21
robertofollia

Erron,
thanks a lot for such a valuable info! Let's hope the Pierburg MAF has the built-in temp sensor or they can provide a separate one. Look forward to more news

Regards

Robert
Old 04-11-2006, 03:15 PM   #22
lifestyler

Default Re: D2 MAF sensor-cross reference

Hi Everyone,

Just letting you know I haven't fogotten about you

In short, I am now corresponding with Pierburg Germany instead of their Sydney branch. I am awaiting an answer from Germany to see if their MAF Sensor has an in-built temp sensor. Whether it corresponds to the Bosch resistance curve is a different story...so:

I did about 4 hours research once again doing cross-referencing etc etc and I have found a Intake Air Temperature (IAT) sensor that can be used in conjunction with the Pierburg MAF (if the Pierbug MAF sensor's temp curve is wrong or it doesn't come with one).

The details of the Bosch units to get (in order of priority) are:

Best: 0 280 130 085 (quickest temp responce and most accurate)
Second Choice: 0 280 130 039 (slowest temp responce but OK and not as accurate)

When I talk about accuracy, I am talking about how well it's matched to the original Bosch MAF unit that goes into the D2's.

If you want to ahve a look at the specs of these babies:

http://apps.bosch.com.au/motorsport/...emperature.pdf

I'm ordering a Pierbug MAF sensor tomorrow (7.22684.07.0) and will prob. be ordering a 0 280 130 085 and then doing a mod to my MAF housing an then splicing the 0 280 130 085 into the harness.

The benefit to this is:

1) If your MAF sensor bums out, you don't need to replace the temp sensor.
2) Also applies the other way around

If anyone can source the best price for these units then we can have the best solution for the best price too.

Cheers

Erron
Old 04-13-2006, 04:34 AM   #23
lifestyler

Hi Everyone,

I'm just letting everyone know that I'm very very happy with my disco at the moment

I have power I haven't experienced before, smoothness I haven't experienced before, better acceleration response, better gear changes and I now have a system whereby I have a modular Pierburg/Bosch solution that apparently lasts longer (so I have read).

Here's the info to fix your D2 MAF (ie rough idling and loss in fuel economy):

1) Purchase a Pierburg MAF Sensor. Part Number: 7.22684.07.0
2) Purchase a Bosch Intake Air Temperature Sensor (IAT). Part Number 0 280 130 085. This uses the same thermistor as the original Bosch MAF sensor.
3) Purchase a connector for the Bosch IAT. In Australia; ACA Part Number: BK402, Bosch Part Number 1 237 000 036 (I purchased an ACA connector).
4) Remove the existing Bosch MAF Sensor, take you anger out on it and then throw it in the bin. You will need a hollow security torx bit for the screws.
5) Mount the Bosch IAT Sensor into the MAF housing. Details:

i) Relative to the centre of the original sensor, you need to be at least 60 degrees away due to a ridge on the Pierburg MAF Sensor. Mark a line that is in parallel with the airflow. I mounted the IAT so it sits pretty well vertial in the MAF housing after it's all put back together. Don't mount it too far so the IAT connector wires don't reach the original MAF harness.

ii) With a small drill bit come in 4mm from the ridge closest to the engine and make a mark with it by spinning it in your hand. Info:

....................drill bit
......................|
......................|
Engine _____| |_______________________| |_____Air Cleaner

..................>| |<
...................4mm

Ignore the dots as I needed to use these to line everything up.

iii) Mark another hole, 15mm from the first hole and closer to the Air Cleaner (this is for the securing screw)

iv) Drill a SMALL hole at both points (about 1.5mm)

v) With a small cone shaped grinder on a drill, remove part of the ridge near the small hole closest to the ridge (as indicated above). You want to drill a hole slightly larger that the diameter of the IAT and you need to get rid of most of this ridge so that your original centre point doesn't move. The diameter of the IAT is 12.5mm, so you probably want to drill a 10-12mm hole.

vi) Drill a hole so it PARTLY goes into the ridge.

vii) Use a round file and file the hole out so the IAT fits TIGHTLY into the hole. Be VERY careful here as a couple of quick agressive files and you can get rid of a lot of plastic and stuff up your MAF housing. I left about 1mm of the ridge in place for support when the IAT was screwed in place.

viii) Find three washers (or one) that is the height of the ridge (about 3-4mm).

ix) Fit the IAT into the MAF housing and use a screw with a wide spiral (for plastic) and secure the IAT in place.

6) Use the same cone shaped grinder (or file) and shave off the outside square edge of the Pierbug sensor as this needs to be round like the Bosch sensor. After you're ground off the edge, check to make sure it fits with the MAF harness connector going to the ECU.

7) Screw the Pierburb sensor into the MAF housing and take note of the arrows indicating the flow of air (look from the top as they are there). Make sure they are in the same direction as the MAF housing arrows.

8) Wire the IAT connector that you purchased in item 3) above. Details:

i) Cut the wire on the original MAF harness that goes to pin 1 (mine was green) as close as you want to the actual connector. Remove around 10mm of the plastic.

ii) Cut 10mm from the red wire on the IAT connector (from 3 above), twist this together with the wire you just cut and then solder it and tape it up.

iii) Get a razor blade or equivalent and cut a 10mm gap into the wire connected to pin 3. Cut it at around 30mm from the connector. Be VERY CAREFUL not to cut all or any of the wires. You need to remove all the plastic in a 10mm area. Once you have done this, twist the black wire from the IAT connector onto this and then solder it and then tape it.

Plug your newly spliced IAT connector onto your new IAT sensor and the original MAF connector onto the Pierburg sensor and you have a brand new hybrid system that kicks ass.

Total cost to me, including delivery etc: AU$201.26 (US$145)

The last decent milage I got was 635km to the tank (120 litre). I'll let you know if there's any improvement from fitting this system.

I don't think I've forgotten anything.

Cheers

Erron

Last edited by lifestyler; 04-13-2006 at 05:19 AM. Reason: Fixed spacing
Old 04-15-2006, 01:29 PM   #24
robertofollia

Erron, this is GREAT!!!!
Thanks for the info. It is the most comprehensive MAF study ever seen!
Then.. according to the data you give it is necessary to drill the hole for the IAT in the sensor housing and not modifying the sensor itself. If you could please post some picture.

So finally the pierburg is a valuable and better alternative to the Bosch unit..

congratulations and regards,
Robert
Old 04-16-2006, 11:01 AM   #25
lifestyler

Robert,

Yes, a hole needs to be drilled into the MAF housing.

I'll take a photo and post it here over the next week.

From what I read, the Pierburg responds quicker than Bosch MAF sensors and provides a more responsive acceleration. I think I read it in some turbo forum somewhere...can't remember exactly.

Cheers

Erron

Last edited by lifestyler; 04-16-2006 at 11:33 AM.