Defender 90 Fire Truck Pics

Golden Oliver

Dec 12, 2005
Ohio
I know some of you have seen this D90 before, but I wanted others to see a unique Defender.....

I live about 4 miles from the Granville Fire Dept. and see this D90 about every day. It is located in Granville, Ohio about 25 miles east of Columbus. It has a custom built water tank and equipment rack. Two Hella 4000s, siren, cb, warn winch and a few other sweet mods. It was bought by the Granville FD because it was narrow and allowed them to access a bike path to extinguish grass/brush fires. The FD used to have a nice Willys J**p before the D90 showed up. Check out this link to pangaea - expeditions for more pics of this awsome rover. Note the "Taz" on the side. Haha.

http://www.pangaea-expeditions.com/galleries/firetruck/index.html

Oh yeah...this D90 HAS been off-road. It has been to several local rover events over the years.

Attachments

• granville17.jpg
    granville17.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 383
Last edited:

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Nice, but to be honest, unless it was donated, it really seems a poor expediture to get a D90 for a brush truck. That's speaking as a former vol firefighter, where every $ was hard to come by.

Golden Oliver

Dec 12, 2005
Ohio
Those of you familiar with Granville already know that they have plenty of this.....

Attachments

• money.jpg
    money.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 370

flyfisher11

May 25, 2005
Wolf Laurel NC
antichrist said:
Nice, but to be honest, unless it was donated, it really seems a poor expediture to get a D90 for a brush truck. That's speaking as a former vol firefighter, where every $ was hard to come by.

On the contrary. I think the PR aspect alone can bring in some attention to the fire department along with some money. As a former forest service firefighter myself I would rather depend on a defender than some of the old jeep brush trucks we had. It would also make a great smoke chaser vehicle too, but that is forest service stuff.

Cheers,

Mike

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I think you could make a very dependable Jeep brush truck for a lot less that $20 - $25k.
Our dept had a 56 deuce and a half I buoght for $200 from the Gov disposal depot. Drove it home from Richmond to Nothern VA. While that was alot larger and not suitable for a small place like the defender, FD's can get stuff super cheap. I'm not sure about the PR value to anyone other that Land Rover owners.

flyfisher11

May 25, 2005
Wolf Laurel NC
antichrist said:
I think you could make a very dependable Jeep brush truck for a lot less that $20 - $25k.
Our dept had a 56 deuce and a half I buoght for $200 from the Gov disposal depot. Drove it home from Richmond to Nothern VA. While that was alot larger and not suitable for a small place like the defender, FD's can get stuff super cheap. I'm not sure about the PR value to anyone other that Land Rover owners.

My perspective as to the the value of the Defender being a great brush truck or smoke chaser is based on my narrow experience of fighting fires in the mountains of western N.C. Such a narrow capable truck would be great for that terrain. A deuce and a half, in my opinion, is just a little big for where I used to work.

Golden Oliver

Dec 12, 2005
Ohio
It wasn't donated. Money aside...I think it is a sweet looking vehicle and it is nice to see a Defender on duty in a fire and rescue role.

I also don't recall hearing any grumblings or objections from the people who ACTUALLY paid for it.

alex3324

Oct 19, 2004
Valhalla I am coming home!
I would wager a guess that the modified D90 costs about the same (maybe less) as a purpose-built brush truck - and is far more capable than most of the 'brush' equipment I see sitting in the firehouses in the states.

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Golden Oliver said:
It wasn't donated. Money aside...I think it is a sweet looking vehicle and it is nice to see a Defender on duty in a fire and rescue role.
Yup, money aside I agree 100%
I also don't recall hearing any grumblings or objections from the people who ACTUALLY paid for it.
I should hope not.

alex3324 said:
I would wager a guess that the modified D90 costs about the same (maybe less) as a purpose-built brush truck - and is far more capable than most of the 'brush' equipment I see sitting in the firehouses in the states.
Yeah, I would agree. I came from a dept that could only afford to buy second and third hand vehicles so we learned how you could get equipment on a shoe string and build it ourselves to have something just capable as something that was purpose built, just wasn't as fancy looking. Obviously not all departments have that concern.

Last edited:
D

DISCOINCUBUS

rmuller said:
Real nice!

Down at the Jersey shore a few years ago, at least 3 or 4 of the rescue departments had H1's... so I don't think a D90 is that bad of a expenditure.

The big difference i think is reliability especially for a rescue vehicle that is on call 24/7 , no contest the milspec diesel hummer is the way to go even if a small municipality has to pay for it by cutting costs on non essential's.

Golden Oliver

Dec 12, 2005
Ohio
The pangaea web site (link above) with the pics of the D90 mentions that the FD considered a H1....but opted for the D90. The Willys J**p they used to have was cool...but became unreliable.