DISCO II Watts Linkage?

LostInBoston

Banned
Apr 19, 2004
Wandering aimlessly
Its the wierd looking think over ther rear axle that keeps the axle centers. It has 2 control arms coming to a center pivot mounted above the axle housing.
I trimmed (modified) mine so the arms didnt bottom out on the mounting plate.

(didnt want to ask on EE bbs?)

rover4x4

Apr 21, 2004
North Carolina, Raleigh
nah I just dont have an account, I had been following the Bushguy stuff..... thats what made me wonder what it was, I will have to go look under a DII now.

LostInBoston

Banned
Apr 19, 2004
Wandering aimlessly
I was using my RAVE cd for some trans stuff so i thought id post their description, cuz its better then mine
"Watts linkage
A Watts linkage is used to ensure that the rear axle remains centrally located. The Watts linkage comprises two
transverse links and a pivot housing. The transverse links and pivot housing allow the rear axle to move vertically
without any transverse movement.
The transverse links are made from fabricated and welded steel. Each transverse link has a bush press fitted into a
housing at one end. The opposite end has a forked bracket with two cross holes.
The pivot housing is made from cast iron. Three bushes are press fitted in the housing, one in the centre and one at
each end."

rover4x4

Apr 21, 2004
North Carolina, Raleigh
all that being said what was wrong with the DI and the D-90/110 rear supensions? whats an advantage to the watts?

okay upon reading some stuff maybe for stability?

B

BushViper

Everyone,

Here is a modified watts linkage, the watts linkage got lengthened by 2" :D

51083ModifiedWL.jpg

BushViper

LostInBoston

Banned
Apr 19, 2004
Wandering aimlessly
Well thats great, im sure it did extremly little considering the bushing are still maxing out. id try to explain the physics of it, but its late.

nice bumpstops though, i'll give ya credit for that.

Last edited:
B

BushViper

LostInBoston,

"Well thats great, im sure it did extremly little considering the brushing are still maxing out"

Huh!, please explain!?!?

Yeah I like my bump-stops too. :)

Thanks,
BushViper

B

BushViper

LostInBoston,

Never mind, I know what your talking about and "brushing" are fine, no problems with that. Are you having troubles with yours?

BushViper

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
man i can't wait to see that thing in moab,
oh wait, i'm meant broken down in moab.
huh, i guess money can get you lots of goodies :rolleyes:
but can't buy you a clue.

LostInBoston

Banned
Apr 19, 2004
Wandering aimlessly
Bush,
as your rear axle articulates, the bushings in the center get twisted and max out. Did you do a drop test before and after your mod? I doubt you gained more then an inch of drop by going through all that.
here is what you need to modify. you need to find a way to correct the alignment. i suggest custom rear links. There is a place in CA that sells them on ebay.

attachment.php

i trimed this area, which does about the same as legthing the control arms, except easier and cheaper. i also only have a 3" lift so i am not making out as much. where there is red paint, i trimmed to allow more articulation.
attachment.php

hope this helps,
now get some diff guards, new axles, some lockers and a winch so your truck doesnt look stupid.

Attachments

• redcircle.JPG
    redcircle.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 305
  • reddot.JPG
    reddot.JPG
    9.4 KB · Views: 327

koby

Mar 26, 2004
Orange, CA
koby.sigmadata.net
LostInBoston said:
Did you do a drop test before and after your mod? I doubt you gained more then an inch of drop by going through all that.

What does he care?

It's obvious that daddy's paying for his mods and as a result it's equally obvious that he doesn't care if his mods are thoughtful.

curtis

Apr 20, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
koby said:
What does he care?

It's obvious that daddy's paying for his mods and as a result it's equally obvious that he doesn't care if his mods are thoughtful.

Not necessarily. Money does not care where it comes from as long as it comes. Don't penalize Bushwhacker just because his daddy paid for his crap. Penalize him because he is an idiot.

BTW Bushwhacker, that is not a modified Watts linkage. It is bastardized. It only allows the axle to flex at stock dimensions, but it does nothing to actually increase the rear axle articulaton. By increasing the length of the rod he only reduced the ammount of stuff.

But Bushjacker - you are so cool at the Dairy Queen I am sure this does not sink in yet :)