Motorola IHF1000 Installation Write up for DII (with photos)

lordkenyon

Oct 24, 2005
A
Here's a brief write up for the Motorola IHF1000 installation into a '99 DII with the HK premium sound system. This should also work for the IHF850, I'm assuming since they are nearly identical. Oh, and make sure you have your radio security code. Even though I had the battery disconnected for several hours, mine did not prompt for the code, though it would be advisable to make sure you have it.

Here's the installation manual from Motorola for the bluetooth IHF1000: http://www.motorola.com/automotive/pdf/blnc_userguide.pdf

1) Disconnect Neg. Battery Terminal

2) Remove 4 7mm bolts holding the glove box into place (remove contects of box first). Removing the box completely is much simpler than just dropping the box.

3) Remove factory Head Unit. This can be done with a DIN removal tool. If not available, just use the metal strips from a hanging/vertical file. They push in about 6 inches and this releases the locks. My radio was very stiff to remove and required some encouragement by means of a wide bladed instrument to prise it out.
install1.jpg

4) Disconnect Factory Harnesses. (See here for wiring diagram: http://www2.onu.edu/~g-vance/wiring_diagram.jpg)

5) Use a grab-it type tool as a snake. This worked quite well several times during the install. Run the snake through the glove box area into the area behind the headunit. Carefull not to get in the way of any climate control controls.
install2.jpg

6) I used surveyor's tape as a pull then to run the wiring from the Moto Unit into the stereo cavity. Again, this worked quite well (read: couldn't find string).
install3.jpg

install4.jpg

7) Since this required very little juice, I tapped into the factory HU's power, Aux, and ground. The Black wire from the Moto unit went to the ground-C0098(8); Green wire from the Moto unit is ignition and went to C0098(7); and the red wire from the Moto unit is always on power and went to C0098(4). I soldered these connections as I prefer the connection to that of a splice/crimp connector. (read: splice connectors would be a million times easier, I didn't have any around.)

install5.jpg

8) My harness was missing any wire coming out of the C0098(1) which is labeled "Telephone Mute." This is where the Yellow wire from the Moto unit needs to connect. After an attempt to rip apart an old harness and use some parts from it, a lazier, though not quite as secure, solution was established. This invovles stripping the yellow wire and placing it in the harness so that it makes a friction contact with the pin on the factory head unit. Then the wire is secured into the factory harness with a small plastic shim and epoxyed into place. This seems to be working fine as there is little room for the wire to go anywhere and the connection is fairly secure.

9) An attempt was made to run the Moto Unit through the factory speakers using the C0921(3) and C0921(6) "Telephone Audio" input connections and the blue and orange wires from the Moto Unit which are specified for this purpose. I could not get this feature to work. I also tried using the output from the speaker connection here and again, it failed. Another attempt was made to use the speaker output from the Moto unit (yellow and black twisted pair wire) directly to the front speakers. While this worked, it created an unsatisfactory white noise in the background of the speaker at all times. Resorted to using the included Motorola Speaker.

10). Installed the microphone as specified at the overhead centre console. It is fastened to the head liner with hook-and-loop fasteners (velcro). The wire was then tucked into the headliner and down the A-piller. Again, the snake made grabbing the wire quite simple to feed it into the glove box area. (Also good opportunity to remove all the stuff that had fallen behind the dash with the grab-it: I found pens, bottle caps, and other things that I'm sure would lead to annoying rattles before too long.)
install6.jpg

11). Installed the control unit just above the driver's side kick-panel where it fit quite nicely. There is already double sided tape on the control unit to adhere it to the panel. Clean panel first with alcohol. When the drop down panel is back in place it completely covers all the wiring. No drilling is necessary.
install7.jpg

12) Remove driver's side kickpanel and then snake into the glove box area.
install8.jpg

13) Make all necessary connections to the Moto Wiring harness and plug in the Motorola ECU.

14) Reconnect Battery and test system.

15) If system functions properly, then slide head unit back into place, carefully avoid binding wires

16) If unable to get factory speakers to work, mount Motorola speaker at desired location. The instructions call for it to be in the passenger side footwell area for best use.

install9.jpg

17) I zip tied all wiring and placed the ECU into an open slot behind the glove box and hook-and-loop fasteners to keep the ECU from sliding. (The Motorola ECU is the bright blue box.)
install10.jpg

18) Re-assemble glove box.

Notes:
- No drilling anywhere was necessary for this project, except two screws mounting the speaker. I figured these would be easily covered by the carpet if I were to ever remove the system. The entire install would be even more reversible if an extra harness is obtained from Metra or the like; then no soldering or splicing into any factory wiring would be necessary.
- This whole project took about 3-4 hours to makes sure everthing was working okay and that includes time spent looking for a way to get the factory speakers to work, taking pics, and dealing with the fact that my battery died in the processes.
- If anyone has suggestions on how to get the unit working through the factory speakers, please PM me or post. Motorola talked about some units needing a relay, but neither their tech support people or their manuals have any further mention about it. Or if anyone knows of a way to test the input of the headunit (maybe mine's bad?) then also, please share.

Last edited: