low oil pressure and engine niose

P

PDropper

low oil pressure and engine noise

I was driving home last night and my oil pressure light came on. Then I started hearing a tapping sound coming from the engine. It was a "one tap per revolution" type sound. I checked the oil level and it's still full.
I don't see anything under the hood, except for a section of a valve cover gasket that is starting to pop out of place. I don't know if that would cause me to lose oil pressure though. Any ideas?

Last edited:
C

campbell

Could be the oil pump or possibly dirty pick-up.
I don't think your valve cover gasket has anything to do with low or no oil pressure. You should be able to take the valve covers off and still retain oil pressure.

edthediscoman

Nov 4, 2005
Rivertucky, Ca
I would not run with valve covers off, although there may be misting....its definitely not a good idea, as the small amount of oil that is pumped up there, will get everywhere!! On my engine you probably wouldn't notice...LOL
The ticking is strange. In days gone by I would take the dizzy off, use a drill and a long piece of metal rod with a slot to mate to the pump, and run the pump to simulate oil pressure. The manual gauge as mentioned before would then tell you what your oil pressure is - not sure of LR goog pressures ("Enter Chris SL here"). This will also tell you if the pump is ticking or if its something else as the engine will not be running, hence no noise. You can also check the bottom of the distributor for wear on the keyway to the pump.
(see, I need LR engine rebuild experience, as this is how I diagnosed my TR6 low oil pressure).
Ed.

draaronr

Apr 20, 2004
wilmington, nc
PDropper said:
I was driving home last night and my oil pressure light came on. Then I started hearing a tapping sound coming from the engine. It was a "one tap per revolution" type sound. I checked the oil level and it's still full.
I don't see anything under the hood, except for a section of a valve cover gasket that is starting to pop out of place. I don't know if that would cause me to lose oil pressure though. Any ideas?

Your oil pickup is plugged. Drop the pan and clean the sludge out, the screen will be dirty. Run a lighter weight oil.

The Rover engines with serpentine belts drive the oil pump from the crankshaft, hence, the old drill and rod idea won't work.

Checking the oil pressure might not show much. The oil light comes on from a lack of pressure. If the engine is allowed to run after loss of oil pressure catastrophic damage WILL occur. The time frame is the only variable here. If oil pressure was lost and the engine run longer, enough that it starts making bad noises, chances are the rod bearigns are shot and any oil pressure that is generated is pissing out through a huge gap between the crankshaft and the bearing and it won't generate much oil pressure.

If the noise is a gut-wrenching deep low frequency knock that goes away as revs increase, it is time to pull hte oil pan and look around to see if one of the connecting rods is loose from a spun bearing. In one particularly bad case with an SBC I once had, the rotating assembly got so hot, it was discolored from the heat.

Hate to be the doom and gloomer here, but it doesn't sound good for our heroes in this case.

PT

edthediscoman

Nov 4, 2005
Rivertucky, Ca
See....knew a voice of reason would emerge.
BTW, what is good oil pressure on a Disco i or ii?
The manual gauge is still a good idea to have anyway, thinking of putting one in the cab.
Ed

At idle, they usually run around 20-35 psi. The oil pressures on these trucks tend to be a little low, but some say they are a high flowrate oiling system, but I don't have an opinion or any further knowledge.

The vast ,ajority of them that I have had the luxury to measure all seemed to run 20-25 psi at idle.

Me a voice of reason? I'm gonna have to tell Shopgrrl that one!

C

campbell

edthediscoman said:
I would not run with valve covers off, although there may be misting....its definitely not a good idea, as the small amount of oil that is pumped up there, will get everywhere!! On my engine you probably wouldn't notice...LOL

Yeah, I didn't really clarify that, sorry. Not what I was suggesting. I just meant that you could have no valve cover at all, let alone a bad gasket, and still have fine oil pressure.
This is how we tightened up some new roller rockers on a 302 once. :) Oil just kinda squirts out. Not too forcefull.

P

PDropper

After a day of contemplation, I decided to start it up again and listen to my engine noise once more. I heard the tap coming from the top of the engine then after about a minute, the noise stopped. It runs fine now... no oil pressure light either. So, I'm guessing it was a clogged pick up.