Rovertym Body lift install

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I installed the 2" body lift a couple months ago, and wanted to point out a couple of things I found.
One, have something on hand to cut the body mount bolts in a confined space. My right rear one was rusted solid and not having anything to get into the very small opening to cut it meant I had to use a grinder to get the bolt head off, way to close to my fuel filler neck. :eek:

Have a few heavy washers (thicker than normal) on hand for the replacement body mount bolts. I had to use a few to keep the bolt end from hitting a fitting, especially near the brake line fitting on the left side, just forward of the bulkhead.

The other tip is on extending the steering shaft. The instructions are to measure the overall length, cut it, slip the pieces into the extention tube, measure the extended length and weld it, making sure to keep the orientation correct. I did it a bit differently.

First I slipped the collar over the shaft and used the set screws to lock it in place I used an awl to scribe lines on each end around the circumference of the shaft.
RTE_bodyLift_steering_collar1.jpg

Then, using the forging seams of the shaft as a guide, I made scribe marks on both ends of the collar in line with the forging lines as a method to keep the shaft aligned along it's length.
RTE_bodyLift_steering_collar2.jpg

After that, I just removed the collar, cut the shaft with my bandsaw, slipped the ends back in the collar, aligned one end with the scribe line around the shaft and the mark on the end of the collar with the seam on the shaft. Then it was a simple matter to slip the other end of the shaft out so the scribe line was the correct distance from the end of the collar, and then lined up the forging seam with the mark on the end of the collar. Make sure you mark the collar so you keep the each end of the shaft going into the same end of the collar, after you've had it off for cutting. Sounds more complicated than it is :p

Last edited: