hydroboost brakes on a disco,couldnt stop those big tires

EMBIBB

Sep 6, 2004
San Antonio,Texas
Seems I hear a Nose Wheeling contest in the works.... good job Lane!!!!
My experiences in the past few months have been trying to make my Brown Turd Go, not Stop.... LOL eddie

D

D Chapman

Is the Master Cylinder on a D-110 and a Disco the same? is one bigger?

mightymg

Mar 6, 2005
Clinton Ut
SO far mines been on for a year and no glitches, thats crazy this thread is ALIVE>> p>S make sure you up the pressure on the pump a little more so you have brake pressure, or up the volume. WHAt are the specs on that pump? I have a pretty decent write up on how to do it if you want it. PM me your email address.. LANE

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Starting on it now, thanks for the help Lane.

I must admit I did not go the cheap bastard route, hope it pays off.

Attachments

• hydroboost.jpg
    hydroboost.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 284

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
having some interference with the master cylinder and the ABS pump. It looks like I'll have to rotate it quite a bit for the fittings to clear. I might look into other cylinders in the morning or look into moving the abs pump over a little bit.

the interference is a lot worse than it looks in the pics.

Attachments

• hb1.jpg
    hb1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 221
  • hb2.jpg
    hb2.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 190
  • hb3.jpg
    hb3.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 161
  • booster.jpg
    booster.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 188
D

D Chapman

I'm wondering if the Defender master cylinder creates more pressure....????? I thought about the hydro set-up, but I'm thinking simplisity. If you blow a line, pump, or if you loose a belt going down the road, what happens to the brakes? I guess you would still have brakes, just not power brakes???? Then, what about getting your new replacement lines? I guess the easy answer is to have a custom set on hand.....

I like the idea, and I still may do it. But, if the Defender MC bolts in and creates more pressure, wouldn't that be the route to do?

mightymg

Mar 6, 2005
Clinton Ut
Yeah what I did was Looseded the nut on the hydraboost where it goes into the Mouting plate, then it tuns abo9tu a 1/2 inch or so, that gave me enough to clear it. Looks good though, keep it up, also wiht the new MC thats in the upper pic, you have to use the resivoir that has 2 seperate bowls like in he lower pic, the bigger one will hit the hood.. good luck..

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Thanks for the tip on looseining the nut, I was getting ready to weld/grind/drill.

have you looked into using the corvette master cylinders? vanco brakes uses them on their hydroboost setups, and they are cheap as anything. I think I read if your booster has the rod sticking past the the housing use a ~72-76, if not use a 77-82 vette cylinder.

The single reservoir master cylinder in the upper pic didn't even fit the hydroboost, thats why the astrovan one is back on it in the later pics. The opening bore on the face of the hydroboost wasn't big enough for the master cylinder to fit inside.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
D Chapman said:
If you blow a line, pump, or if you loose a belt going down the road, what happens to the brakes? I guess you would still have brakes, just not power brakes???? Then, what about getting your new replacement lines? I guess the easy answer is to have a custom set on hand.....

you could play the what if game on any rover component. the brakes should still work, just not as well. Replacement lines is the main reason I spent all the money on metric o-ring to JIC adapters. What town doesn't have a forklift/tractor repair center?

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
and where the hell are you going to get an off the shelf power steering line in the same town? you are arguing against yourself now.

D

D Chapman

Ah, come on. Whats harder to find? A one off custom part, or an OEM replacement?

Again, I'm not saying what you are doing is a bad idea. I'm just saying it's more parts to fail. Sometimes the more simple is the better.

Besides that, I'm really not having that hard of a time stopping, even with my heavy tires and trailer in tow..... It may not by "stock like", but it's still controlable....

mightymg

Mar 6, 2005
Clinton Ut
ive been running mine for a year and Ive had nothing but sucess, the lines arent really that custom its a standerd hydraulic ho9se, Ill tell you what when your out and about its gonna be harder to find a LAND rover hose then it is to find a Regular hydraulic one, and as for the Pump failing or belt or something, if the belt breaks you know as well as I do theirs more problems at hand like The water pump all sorts od shit, and the hydraboost has a compression cyl on it so when that happens it keeps 1-2 pumps built up in there.... Robert I did look at the MC I just figured Id change it once mine finally shit the brick, Let me know what one you go with....
heres some pics in another thread of my set up...

http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14739

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
I've been looking at those to see how you cleared everything.

I see that Vanco and others run the hydroboosts upside down. It would make for a cleaner install with the lines being hidden, I might try that.

mightymg

Mar 6, 2005
Clinton Ut
that ,ay be sweet, my 96 cleared great, my buddies 94 we did it on,was tight like yours but by spinning it and by loosening the ABS system, we got it in there fine..

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
Ended up moving the ABS pump over as much as I could and still have clearance for the wiring harness that runs between it and the fender. Clearance is still tight, but doable. I tried the vette master cylinder and the fittings did not clear the ABS, even after I moved it.

Still have to flare the new lines, shim the pump, weld the clevis on the booster rod, and build a bracket for the PSC reservoir. Bleeding the brakes should be fun since every line was disconnected from the ABS.

robertf

Jan 22, 2006
-
got it up and running, these brakes are great. The pump whines when they are used or when the steering is used. I already put 2 washers in there, do I need to wait for the air to escape?