Nov Moab Funfest

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
HEY ALL,

the fall is upon us and it's

TIME FOR MOAB!

November Moab, the Utah local tradition, is just around the corner!

dates this year will be NOV 6TH-12th

Steve rupp and myself, as well as many others from the SLC area, will be down for some wheeling and canyoneering fun.

we'll be staying at the "Castillo de las Rocas" condos on the north side of the golf course.
located at the entrance of the "STEEL BENDER" trail.

all those interested in joining post up.
we'll have a few condos rented, so there may be a few extra rooms available.

this year should prove to be more interesting than previous years.
i've got some fun stuff up my sleeve... :D

hope to see you there

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
I'll in for the whole week. Won't be wheeling every single day, likely hiking at least some full days and possibly overnight. I'm thinking I'll bring all the luxuries, but camp.

Those Condos are nice, seen them, before, but I'd need a roommate. It would make packing much easier for me so I am seriously interested. I am pretty easy to get along with and have a few very good recipes up my sleeve.

PM me if you have a room and let me know what my contribution would need to be. Or email bdickens (at) gmail.com

Would be convenient for some rounds of Golf, if the course is open.

Steve Rupp

Apr 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
www.discoweb.org
Hey Bri here's the deal with the condos. Marc and I have both been burned before with booking rooms for people that flake. So far the only true definite all week guys are Marc and I. We are going to be getting a condo for ourselves but you're more than welcome to join us if you are for sure in for the entire week.

The condos usually work out to about $75 a person per night. Not a bad deal considering we get a full kitchen, garage and a nice family room. I'll take a condo anyday over the Bighorn. Also we will be having a couple of guys coming in and out all week from the SLC area that wont be staying the week. They can either bring their air mattresses or sleep on the couch and pitch in for the time they will be staying.

So here's my plan. I'll book a room for you and I and Marc. There are a couple of other guys coming in from Chicago, but I think I will leave it up to them to book the rooms because I'm not 100% sure of their committment. Let's plan on this:

Condo 1: Steve Rupp, Marc Olivares, Brian Dickens

Condo 2: Thom Mathie, Thom's copilot, Eric Seipmann

Anybody else who would like to join us is welcome. If everybody does decide to stay at the condos, don't worry if you're not placed with your buddies. We always end up hanging out in the condo that has the best cook. :D

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
hey Bri,

Steve and I also talked about doing some camping towards the end of the week.
maybe thursday/friday we could drive out Hurrah pass towards Lockhart Basin and camp thursday night around the Elehant hill area in the needles district? or by the confluence?
that's always a good backcountry experience.
then we'd only need the condo for sunday night to thursday morning...?

all input encouraged! ;)

and i've got some wicked cool hikes planned too, you wont be disappointed :D

Last edited:

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
I am all over that Steve. I would love to camp, but the idea of leaving the gear at home needed for a week of luxury camping is more attractive than camping. :D

I'll bring the ultralight stuff that can get me through a comfy few nights.

Just let me know how many nights we'll be in the condo.

Stoked,

Brian

Steve Rupp

Apr 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
www.discoweb.org
Awesome, then if you're in our group let me talk to Marc and find out exactly what he had planned and I will book the room. I wouldn't mind camping a night. Last time I was out there we had a great time at our semi-primitive camp site.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
I appreciate that Steve, just let me know.

If anyone ends up coming through the denver area, let me know and we could either caravan or just meet up.

If I am ready, I may leave after noon of the 4th I have heard there is an interesting backroad from Grand Junction to Moab.

Steve Rupp

Apr 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
www.discoweb.org
Oh yeah I forgot, Marc and I will not be running Poison Spider/Golden Spike/Gold Bar Rim this time. Every time we go out there we end up running that trail. There are other trails that I want to do. I'm thinking there will be a day that Marc and I will be running Pritchett Canyon, so maybe we'll split into two groups so the guys that need to say they went over the crack can do it.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
But, but, but what about people that wish to do both? Just kidding, I can live with either, just I have not run poison spider in the Disco and would like to see Pritchett. Curious about what other trails you want to run, but I can really wait until I am there and decide day to day what to do. I'll just concentrate on trying to be prepared (knocking on wood). :)

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
realistic expectations

now now Steve, don't start scaring people off just yet.

but you do bring up a good point.
and this makes for a nice segway into a "realistic expectation" post.

1. this is a non-dweb sponsored event
2. this is not an "organized" event
3. this is a group of folks that like to get together to go wheeling, hiking and camping.
4. this is not an alchohol bender event (no issues w/ drinking, just drunks)
5. if you have a desired trail list, dont be afraid to do your own thing.
6. don't plan on running Pritchett canyon in a stock rig.... you wont make it
7. pack your own tools
8. pack your own gear
9. pack your own food
10. break downs happen on even the most prepared rigs, when they do, be patient
11. and most importantly, come out and have some MOAB FUN!!!

i guess my point in all this is we encourage people to come out, but please be realistic w/ not only your abilities, but that of your Rover.

Last edited:

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
trail update.

ok folks
Steve and i had a little chat and this will be our tentative schedule.

6th- no trails planed, meet and greet at condos
7th- run metal masher w/ rappel side trip, or seven mile rim w/ rappel side trip
8th- hike medevial chamber (slot canyon) w/ bouldering side trip, Moab Rim in afternoon
9th- Pritchett Canyon
10th-Needles district, get camp spot, run Elephant Hill and slot canyon in chester park
11th- Run Lockhart Basin, chicken corners, hurrah pass, head home

Last edited:

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Sounds awesome. I always remain flexible.

There are plenty of really fun trails for vehicles/people of any ability. I am trying to talk a friend with an '04 RR into coming for a day or two, so if that happens we'll be on some pretty tame stuff.

A

AndyThoma

Well I want to go but don't know what to do. So I need advice from you guys.

I wanted to come down on the 5th with my mountain bike and ride on the 5th and 6th. Then meet everyone on the evening of the 6th and stay all week to wheel and hike, leave the 12th.

Thing is I have an offer on my discovery to buy it for what I want to sell it for with all the mods on it and no need to part it. I want to buy either a daily driver, ie car, or a find a nice 99 d1 to start modifing. I owe money on this truck, and think of getting a close to new car as a daily driver and starting a LR buying fund. I would hope to save for a d1 or defender or rubicon in a year or so. This truck has cost me lots of money in repairs. Maybe those costs are over, but seeing as it is running fine now, and seeing that I could clear it with this sale, now might be a good time to sell.

I would still like to come along if I sell and end up with a car or stock rover. I'd have to ride shot gun with someone. But I'll could be in rover withdrawl. So my question is, move this rover and start over in a 99 d1? Or find a car and save for future offroader? Or keep this rover and keep calling Marc with, "Hey could you tow me back to my house, it died again." :eek: (thanks again Marc)

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
Andy

SELL IT!!!

and if you dont have anything by the time the trip comes you can co-pilot w/ me! :D
it will be like old times (running the old cliff hanger in the dark)
i'll keep my eyes open for a 99' or an Unlimited for you; but if you have an offer for yours, take it and RUN.....RUN FAST! :eek:

;)

A

AndyThoma

Yeah...selling it and starting over is probably the best idea right now. Just don't know if I should jump back into a another wheeling rig or get a car for a DD and buying wheeling rig later. A least an unlimited would get better mileage.

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
sell it, buy my SAAB for cheap, and start a rover fund, copilot w/ me in Nov! :D

NOW back to MOAB...you gonna bring some of that yummy homebrew?

Last edited:

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Well, there is no guarantee that a 99 would be that much more better. But if you can clear what you owe on the ?95? and do not have a ton in it, like lockers, axles, and the expensive stuff sell it.

My axles, lockers and stuff are in great shape, so I am keeping my eyes peeled for a good '99 as well then move the big pieces over.

But if you commute, you need a daily driver anyway,

Better start looking at those Prius or what have you, cause a wheeling rig will never be a daily driver as soon as you mod a Jeep, mileage will also go to the shitter (but better than a D1, almost a given).

I'll bring a stock of the local favorites, but what to try the Utah home brew for sure.

A

AndyThoma

Hmmmm ... now I see why you want me to sell the rover, to sell me your saab... :p

Actually that could work out. I plan on selling, then figuring out what to get after that. Unfortunty Emma and I need two vehicles at our disposal. She however wants to buy a 06 A4 or A6 :eek: Wish I could, I just don't have that kind of cash. She'd kill me if I said no on a $32k audi and bring home a $32k unlimited rubicon with 305's, lift, winch,etc.. :D

A

AndyThoma

marc olivares said:
sell it, buy my SAAB for cheap, and start a rover fund, copilot w/ me in Nov! :D

NOW back to MOAB...you gonna bring some of that yummy homebrew?

I can bottle from kegs now so lots of tasty beer, very fresh. I also hope to have a very interesting belgian style blonde ale I'm hoping that will be done by then.

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
AndyThoma said:
Hmmmm ... now I see why you want me to sell the rover, to sell me your saab... :p

LOL... you need to sell that thing cause it's Jinx'd
you need to buy my Saab so i can get a bike... :D

just bring down Kegs, we'll C02 charge w/ our POWERTANKS... :cool:

yeah that Blonde is yummy, lots of that!