loud loud lifters

D

dirtyrover

I have a 96 disco. Lifters are super loud ticking.... I was wondering if they are adjustable or do they have to be replaced? They are driving me crazy.....
Also is it a 32 valve or 16 valve engine? Im not doing the work, my buddy is. He wanted to know these questions. Where is the cheapest spot to buy em if they are not adjustable? Any other info on the subject would be great. Also I am in a spot where there is no high octane gas. I seen a rover that was set up to run on low octane gas....What was that about?

Thanks
Sean

D

dirtyrover

lifters?

There hasnt been any replies to my post....Does a rover even have lifters?
Thanks again
Sean

scubaman99

Jun 7, 2004
Sunnyvale, CA
www.keepmedia.com
16 valve engine.... and yes it has lifters...

you can try putting some ATF fluid or engine flush (which is $$$ ATF with a fancy name) in the crankcase. DONT DRIVE IT, just let it idle for 5min then drain the oil and change your filter...

if that doesnt work then you may need more serious engine work

P

PHARAOHDISCO

16 Lifters and if the are ticking they must be replaced. To buy them check atlanticbritish.com

Jaime

Apr 29, 2004
NJ
I had loud lifters, and quieted them down substantially by using 1 quart of Lucas oil stabilized in place of a quart of oil with every oil change.

D1 with 123K miles

D

dirtyrover

Thanks
I was looking on Atlantic British and for the full set its $200. I am gonna get my mechanic to check the rocker arms before i order them. The clicking in the engine, which i assume is the lifters and so I have been told is really really loud and past the point of quieting i think. So thanks for the info.
My last question is.... Is there a way to set a disco to not need higher octane gas? I live in Labrador, Canada. Very isolated and no place anywhere close ( 700kms) where i can get high octane gas. I seen a rover on Ebay one day, which he claimed was set up to run on regular gas... Was he shoveling or is this common?

Thanks again
Sean

D

dirtyrover

lifters

Is it way more common to have the rockerarms replaced than the lifters?

S

syoung

Unless I'm mistaken, which happens sometimes... the old D1's are supposed to run on regular, not high octane. I thought it was recently that they went to high octane...

If your buddy was asking questions like that, I don't know that I'd let him do internal engine work. I'd also diagnose the problem with a little more certainty because the symptoms are likely something much more common...

S

Steve83

dirtyrover said:
Is it way more common to have the rockerarms replaced than the lifters?
Yep! Lifters are $80 ea from the dealer. Rocker assemblies are ~$100 ea, and they starve of oil more easily than the lifters.

B

beemer

lifters, cam and more shot

dirtyrover, if you have over 60,000 miles all Rovers will have lifters, cam and plastic timing chain shot. Why waste good lifters on a worn cam? The wear on the cam is gradual so you won't feel the power loss over time. OEM is way too high $$$. Check with RPI for a cam (made by Piper) and lifter set, also get a roller timing gear set. Check your rockers and shafts for wear. The long dry starts every morning is like a person having strokes, they all add up. Install a pre-oiler if your going to keep it for years as the factory oil system needs work. Carl.......................................o&o>.................................................................

D

dirtyrover

rebuild kit

Thanks for the info guys.
One more question. Is there someone that sells rebuild kits for the engine? Or do companies generally sell individual parts?
Sean

Greg French

Sep 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
What year is your disco?
From what I have learned, the computer will adjust the engine timing to whatever octane you put in it, but 91 is reccommended. I know mine (1997) runs much better on 93 than 87. I'm not sure what year this started.

D

dirtyrover

year

My discovery is a 96, with a 120,000 kilometres on it

S

Sergei

Steve - nope. They all call for premium octane

Sean - pop up covers and check before going to spend mulah on fixing issue that may be totally different. Clean there while you at it :) And do ATF based flush (i am planning to do one sometime this weekend or at next week :)).

W

woodpecker

loud lifters

I have a 96 Disco w/97000 mi. The book recommends premium fuel. That cost .20 cents per gallon more here so I began running 87 octane a year ago w/no problem. I also have a 93 Volvo 240 wagon. The book says the same but also says not to go below 87 octane. Most Volvo mechanics I talked to say it is ok. If you are running for competition I suppose you want 91-92 octane but every day use 87 works for me. Good luck on the lifter problem and I would get a Land Rover experienced mechanic!

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Steve B - I have a set of rocker arm assemblies that came off a '68 Buick 350, and they appear to be identical to Rovers' (at least, 3.9 that I've looked inside). Also, I don't believe the tappets are Rover-specific - would be utterly surprised if they were.

Sergei and anyone else who plan on doing the engine flush - expect unexpected, a few hundred miles down the road. I'd be on the cautious side and run Rotella for a year or so.
Very loud lifters is something that needs to be investigated carefully.

Dirtyrover - your '96 D1 should run okay on regular fuel, but you'll lose some power and some fuel economy.

S

Sergei

Peter - hmm. Unexpected like what? I been planning to do ATF flush, then run for few days then do usual flush (figured i'll need to get rid of them ATF remains). What kind of complications may arise? Please, elaborate a bit on it.

p m

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 19, 2004
La Jolla, CA
www.3rj.org
Any strong detergent (like ATF) is likely to dislodge the crud in the engine - and it can relocate itselt at the entrance in an oil galley, or rocker arm shaft, or crankshaft bearing. Better is to dissolve it gradually. At the very least, I would not use the engine flush or ATF or diesel fuel until I clean up the crud in the heads manually.

S

Sergei

I see, thanks.

Fortunately i cleaned last week whole rocker shaft assemblies, covers, heads, pushrods & etc :)