Please Help...Stuck in Park

R

rugger12

Hey Guys...I am hoping for advice, so I don't have to miss a day of work tomorrow being towed to the dealer. I am stuck in park. (96 D1, auto.) I opened things up around the gear selector as much as possible (many, many stripped screws...someone has been in there before). The release button on the gear shift is working fine, but down inside there is another release, sort of a retracting pin, that doesn't move. Does this relate somehow to applying the brakes when shifting out of park, and/or is there anything I should be looking for. I can do the work myself, if I know what to do. Please help me avoid the hundreds and hundreds a trip to the dealer will cost me. Thanks for any advice, Adam

Rocky

Apr 23, 2004
Red Sox Nation
ok, go out to your truck. Open rear door. Swap the leads from the heated rear window with the brake light. Start truck. Turn on HRW. email back if the shifter is not released.
if thats doesn;t do it
Can't shift out of park - Troubleshooting
Vehicle - Land Rover Discovery and 1995 Range Rover Classic
Check to see if you have stoplights. No lights check:
a. Fuse f1 in the fascia fuse box ok? (Discovery, if the fuse the blows check the terminals on the back window grids making sure they are not touching each other causing a short. They get bent easily)
b. Inspect the brake light switch on the brake pedal (The brake light switch has four wires on it and the cruise switch has two wires and a vacuum line on it).
If switch is intact:
a. Jump the green/purple wire and the green/orange wire; the brake lights should come on enabling the shift out of park.
b. Caution! The brake lights will be on all the time. Have problem repaired as soon as possible. Also you may get an ABS fault stored.
If you have stoplights pop the top of the shift lever off and check to see if the clip on the button is intact. They have been known to come off and not lift the rod in the handle.
1992-1994 Range Rover Classic:
Same as above except: Dash fuse box fuse# B1 and jump wires: white/purple and green/purple at brake light switch #AMR2010G.

Steve Rupp

Apr 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
www.discoweb.org
Sounds like your brake switch either fell off or is broken. This switch is mounted on a bracket that operates when the brake pedal is depressed. This switch operates the solonoid that releases your shift lever. Hopefully this is your problem. Also check your fuses. You may have a short in your brake lights. If this is the case, you have a much bigger problem.

R

rugger12

Thanks for the info. guys...I love this site!! I have yet to have to go to the dealer since I found Discoweb...just can't seem to scratch up enough $$ for a shop manual. I am headed back out to have another go. Worst part of all...I was parked on the street (where it still is), and I just got a 100$ parking ticket for street parking after 9:00 pm-God I hate the Chicago suburbs!!!!! Thanks again...it is sooo much appreciated. Adam

D

dent

rugger, trying searching on email for land rover rave cd for a shop manual. will only set you back about $10-$20. best money i've spent
sam

scubaman99

Jun 7, 2004
Sunnyvale, CA
www.keepmedia.com
i had the same thing happen to me (95DI) while my rig was parked in a $15 a day parking lot by work.... DAMN San Francisco parking garages :mad:

in addition to being stuck 67 miles from home... the parking atteneded had double parked my rig blocking in two other cars (due to the limted parking in the city and the exream prices parking garages can charge, they "pack em in like sardines") so everyone was standing around me lookikng at me like "get this god damn POS out of here" :(

anyway, lucky for me i was able to "jump the switch" and move my rig.... after about 45 min of futzing around... oh well LR you gotta love em

R

rugger12

4800$$ in porperty tax and that don't even plow my street. 750,000$ mansions going up all over my neighborhood, and there aren't any sidewalks!! Yeah, I didi all of this in the driving rain, too!! Oh, well out to Sandwich and Lake Holiday this fal!!

Mike_Rupp

Mar 26, 2004
Mercer Island, WA
Dont feel bad about $4800 in property taxes. I was spending about that much in Carpentersville. Now that I moved to St. Charles last year, my taxes have jumped up to about $9500. :D

T

thotfulspot

Before you start messing with the wiring, pop the top off the shift lever (plastic cover) and see if the c-clip came off the top of the shift rod. If it does, the car won't come out of park. Mines done that several times.

R

rugger12

Sorry for not following up guys...had an emergency trip outof town for work!! Everything came out fine, just replaced the brake lamp switch, and that was all she needed!! Thanks for all the info.-you guys are the best! BTW, LR Hoffman Estates wanted TWICE the price of LR Hinsdale for the same part!! Thanks, Adam

S

Steve83

dent said:
...land rover rave cd for ...$10-$20. best money i've spent
I'll make copies for $5; $6 if you want it to look like an original. You can only tell the difference when they're side-by-side...
attachment.php

Attachments

• Rave 19s.jpg
    Rave 19s.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 399