What are CV Joint failure symptoms?

B

BrettinSanAntonio

What are a few symptoms of CV joints that have or will soon be failing?

TurdFerguson

Apr 29, 2005
Braselton, GA
If you've noticed that your Swivel Balls leaked, it means the CVs are runnin dry, which will eventually lead to a dead CV, so change the seals if need be and fill up the swivels with the LR Grease first as preventative maint.

The clicking/clunking sound is the most obvious symptom which will be heard first at Full-Lock wheel positions (extreme left/right) and while backing up or slowly moving foward. It will progress to a terrible clunking sound even when taking a normal turn. (could be while making left or right, dependant on which CV is damaged) A really damaged CV will also be noticed when during braking, a single Click will be hearf/felt when nearing a complete stop in a straight line.

That's all I've got for now.

Roverlady

Apr 20, 2004
Shenandoah valley
In reading this...I'm beginning to think I have those exact 'symptoms'.....and my Anti-Lock light has recently come on....can a bad CV joint trigger this?

Thanks

marc olivares

Apr 20, 2004
Roverlady said:
In reading this...I'm beginning to think I have those exact 'symptoms'.....and my Anti-Lock light has recently come on....can a bad CV joint trigger this?

Thanks

no, unless it's sooooooo bad that you some how broke your tone ring off the bell or something hideous of that nature. which isn't gonna happen.
check all of your connection, give them each a little push, maybe one has backed out a schmidgen. ;)