'96 Discovery, no start, no power to the fuel pump, not the relay or inertia switch

rrefx

'96 Discovery

I know there have been some other posters with similar problems. I'm in a pretty big bind being away from home, and thought if I could get any extra help, it would be very appreciated.

I'm working down in Albuquerque. The other day drove to work just fine, and when I went to go to lunch, my '96 disco wouldn't start. It was cranking, and sounded like it tried to fire up at the very first, but then nothing.

I found I had no fuel pressure. I tested the wiring going to the fuel pump, and had no power to the fuel pump. I checked the fuses, and started checking the wiring from the fuel pump forward. I also checked the inertia switch. I decided to see if it had thrown any codes, it had not, but I hit the clear codes button anyways. I then tried to start it and it started right up. I hoped it was just a land rover fluke, and drove for two days just fine, although it did stall on me when I went over a bump.

Then I went to lunch, and everything was fine when I parked it, and went to go home from work, and the same problem again. I tried all the same stuff again, and this time, nothing worked. So I'm here at work on my Saturday trying to figure it out without much luck.

I know the wiring after the relay is hot for 5 seconds after the ignition is turned on. Also the wiring going into and out of the inertia switch is hot for 5 seconds after the ignition is turned on. I tried following the wire into the engine compartment, but haven't had much luck finding it let alone following it in there.

I traced the wire from the pump forward, down the drivers side A pillar, and lost it after that, but that end of the wire is dead, so my problem is definitely under the dash somewhere.

According to the diagram I have, two wires go back to the pump from the relay. One goes through the inertia shut-off switch, and then to the pump, and that one powers the actual pump. The other goes through the ECM, through the instruments, and to the fuel level sensor on the pump.

My fuel gauge is working so I am assuming that wire is working properly, and the ECM is not my problem. The actual pump wire, being white and purple, I believe is. My diagram shows it passing through a few numbered circuits on the way, but doesn't tell me what those are. C277, C407, and C434. If anyone could tell me what there are, and how to find them, hopefully one of which being behind or under the dash, then that would be my problem area.

I appreciate any help, I'm working on location, and don't have a lot of options down here. If I don't figure it out this weekend I'll have to get a rental, and don't really want that, so anyone who can solve my problem I'll donate $20 to discoweb in your honor.

Thanks,
Ryan

rrefx

Re: '96 Discovery, no start, no power to the fuel pump, not the relay or inertia switch

I found what the connectors are, the only one that is a possibility is c277, behind the fuse panel under the steering wheel. I'm checking it out now, any other thoughts please chime in.

Ryan

B

bandit86

Re: '96 Discovery, no start, no power to the fuel pump, not the relay or inertia switch

rrefx said:
'96 Discovery

I know the wiring after the relay is hot for 5 seconds after the ignition is turned on. Also the wiring going into and out of the inertia switch is hot for 5 seconds after the ignition is turned on. I tried following the wire into the engine compartment, but haven't had much luck finding it let alone following it in there.

do you mean it's supposed to be hot or it is hot? there was a connector on my range rover right by the left rear wheel that completely corroded might check that.

what do you use to troubleshoot, meter or test light?

I'm looking for a scematic but cant find one, I'll check again tomorrow. I dont like the rave cd, find it didnt correspont to my truck

B

bandit86

there supposed to be a 15 Amp fuse under the hood

F

floridarover

Recent similar problem was found to be in the plug to the pump. A broken pin was only making partial contact. Eventhough I was showing to have power to the pump on the back side of the plug, on the inside of the plug is where my problem was.........you never know. Each LR has its own adventure it takes you on.

rrefx

The connector behind the right rear wheel was the first I checked. I have had problems with that one in the past. The wire is hot before it goes behind the dash, and not hot after. The rave schematic doesn't show a fuse in line there, but I checked all the fuses and all were good. I couldn't tell what symbol would be fuel pump, so I checked them all.

I just tried running a bypass wire, bypassing behind the dash, and it started right up. I'll even through an inline fuse in to be safe, but unless anyone can tell me anything more, I think I'm going to make the bypass permanent for now so I can get to work tomorrow.

Ryan

amschnellsten

Feb 5, 2008

same thing happened to me but I gave up and just ran a new wire and has been fine for a year now.