ABS Light, turning it off.

P

personalt

I am trading in my discovery today and of course with my luck my wife just called and told me the ABS light just came out (and doesnt go out)

Can someone tells me what triggers this? I am wondering if there is a quick fix or if I can just turn it off by removing fuse etc..

The brakes appear to be fine so maybe there is a way I can reset whatever test caused the light to come on? I am thinking if I could just reset the light I might be ok too.

Any ideas would be helpful.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
personalt said:
I am trading in my discovery today and of course with my luck my wife just called and told me the ABS light just came out (and doesnt go out)

Can someone tells me what triggers this? I am wondering if there is a quick fix or if I can just turn it off by removing fuse etc..

The brakes appear to be fine so maybe there is a way I can reset whatever test caused the light to come on? I am thinking if I could just reset the light I might be ok too.

Any ideas would be helpful.

dealer or autologic can reset, but more than likely a loose or bad wheel sensor. if you want to really get rid of the light for good take the bulb out. takes about 5 mins.

Oct 27, 2004
garrett said:
if you want to really get rid of the light for good take the bulb out. takes about 5 mins.

Not very good advice if your selling/trading the car soon.

Could cause some liability issues with the next owner if its crashed.

Gordo

ABS light

agreed if you are trading it in it is best to just live with it. You can try unplugging the battery and pushing in the sensors at the wheels though to see if it will reset them. I wouldnt remove the light if youre trading it. Godo

P

personalt

Yea not sure I want go and remove the light.. I will see if any of the sensor wires are loose.

can I reset it without removing the battery cable? Does the ABS system has a seperate computer that I can just remove a fuse to reset?

I know I have the radio code somewhere but I know I will not be able to find it and then if I remove teh battery I will have to find that code or they will nail me for a radio that doesnt work. I am not trading it in to a LR dealer so they wouldnt easily be able to look it up.

Oct 27, 2004
Look in my previous posts. On 5-9 of this year, I posted the proceedure your looking for.

I dont knwo how to link it or I would've.

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Chris-St Louis said:
Not very good advice if your selling/trading the car soon.

Could cause some liability issues with the next owner if its crashed.

i think the ABS in the D1's is a liability when working PROPERLY. it is a fucking nightmare. out of my four D1's it works in two of them. off and on at best. and in one where it 'works' with no light on it will sometimes decide not to and put me halfway into an intersection.
i have since pulled the fuses in all of them and the trucks perform MUCH better. not to mention off road they function better as well.
to me disabling the ABS is a much safer route. you never know when the system will fail and when it does you better hope you have room to spare.

i should have mentioned to just pull the fuse and take out the bulb in my initial post. that is what i REALLY meant. :)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2004
Most Discoveries are driven by Non off road people, by people who think it can be driven like a car.

So, when they crash into someone, you think they are going to blame it on themselves or the fact that the ABS wasn't working, and they had no idea because the lgiht was out......

You think a lawyer may use that?

RoverChic

Apr 19, 2004
den Haag
Chris-St Louis said:
Most Discoveries are driven by Non off road people, by people who think it can be driven like a car.

So, when they crash into someone, you think they are going to blame it on themselves or the fact that the ABS wasn't working, and they had no idea because the lgiht was out......

OK This has been discussed boys.... Let's all do a search and find that thread ;)

garrett

Jun 18, 2004
Middleburg, VA
www.blackdogmobility.com
Chris-St Louis said:

oh i agree. funny thing is that people use ABS equipped vehicles like any other vehicle. a car pulls out in front of them.......they slam on the brakes......lock up their arms and head straight into the car in front of them.
it is not easy to train yourself to avoid an object in front of you. we focus on an object and we tend to steer into it.
you have to change your driving technique if you are going to use ABS properly and in a fashion that will help you avoid objects.
takes time to train youself to keep steering with the pedal to the floor.

but your right..........god damn lawyers would use anything they could. :) sorry melissa.