Air Filters

stansell

Jun 14, 2004
Norfolk, VA
Any preferences out there for K&N air filters over land rover stock air filters. I have heard 2nd hand that K&N get clogged more easily in dusty offroad environments? Any truth to this? :confused:

P

Peter-man99

I have heard that once you try to clean out (with water) the K&N it gets dirtier easier than it did. I have heard that you should only vacuum out the K&N or blow it out with some air.

Its a good qustion, if it is the case you can get the cheaper replacement for off-road use and then put the K&N back in for better flow when your not off-road. Kind of a pain but could be worth it.

Lutzgaterr

Apr 23, 2004
LUTZ, Florida
Since the K&N uses a vegetable oil base to spray on the filters, I find it hard to believe compressed air will clean it very well. The kit comes with a simple detergent solution to spray on the filter, followed with a water blast to clean.
Lot's of statistics out there touting the benefits of K&N filtration so I would recommend sticking with the K&N ALWAYS!
Easy and simple to clean and replace. The oil spray can lasts a long time, if you spray the correct amounts-don't soak it else MAF goes bad. The detergent bottle will not last that long, but hey, there is Simple Green, and it does a better job..

Monty

Jun 28, 2004
Woodland, Ca
In addition to what Bruce said, you never have to buy another filter for the life of your truck. In my experience with them, 3 diferent trucks for the last 7 years, I've never had any problems with them. They do get dirty in extreme dusty conditions but when you get home, clean the filter media per the directions and put it back in. Easy as that.

Robbie

Apr 20, 2004
NOVA
and on the flip side, quite a few people have had issues with the MAF getting contaminated from oil getting through to the sensor. $14 for a new paper filter, or $300 for a new MAF?

jmonsrvr

Apr 20, 2004
montara, ca & newport beach, ca
k&N on road....make sure not to over oil your filter(thats why some have problem w/MAS)

paper- for offroad....lots of dust in the air for long periods of time. the paper is better at filtering these particles and not getting clogged...the k&N looks like mud after a dusty trail

cheers

Christopher

Jun 27, 2004
Lake Arrowhead, California
I've used K&N filters in my Audi A4 and in my '95 Discovery, and never noticed any performance improvement. In fact, a few months after the K&N went into the A4, the MAF sensor failed. Coincidence, maybe, but I won't use anything but paper filters from now on. At least with paper, you can carry a spare and so always have a clean filter without the need to clean and re-oil.

Lutzgaterr

Apr 23, 2004
LUTZ, Florida
Again, MAF failure has been known to be associated with over doing it with the spray-on oil. I guess the old addage, if x is good, then 2x is better, certainly does not apply here.

K

krazze1

For a more noticable gain you'll want to combine with a K&N Cone filter and a 3-4" Pipe replacing the stock air box. This will feed the engine with more air.

A drop in K&N will net very minimal gains, most of the time not noticable but the driver but it has the convience of being the last filter you'll need to buy.

stansell

Jun 14, 2004
Norfolk, VA
Thanks for the info guys. I am thinking that its paper for me. I have already gone through one MAF and don't need to give the Land Rover dealership anymore business than I already do.