Using CO2/Argon for MIG Welding

sven

I converted my Lincoln 140 Mig to gas last night and did some test welds. OMG, I couldn't believe how much better welding with gas is! Flux sucks

Anyways, what do you typically set the pressure regulator to for the gas? My book doesnt specify this.

R_Lefebvre

Dec 10, 2007
Uh, don't you set your regulator for volume, not pressure?

My TIG welder generally runs at 25 CFH.

OddBall...wolf...wolf

Dec 22, 2006
Powhatan, Va
I typically run my mig machine at 30 cfh but then again its a bigger gun than that. I would say 20 cfh should be sufficient unless there is wind or over head then it might need to be bumped up a bit.

Too much gas flow will cause atmospheric air to be drawn into the weld and cause poor weld quality. Too little gas flow won't adequately shield the weld from the atmosphere causing poor weld quality.

I've had experienced welders tell me they purge their welders into their face and adjust for a gentle flow. I usually set for about 15 CFH if welding inside without a fan on and 20-30 is outside, the doors are open or I have a fan going.

R_Lefebvre

Dec 10, 2007
Yeah, and I've learned to purge before starting a weld if it's been a little while since the last weld. I wish there was a way to do it manually... I just hit the pedal for a sec holding the torch far away from the work, let the gas go a bit, move to the weld, then hit the pedal again.

Not sure how you'd do it on a MIG without having the wire come out?

I HATE PONIES

Aug 3, 2006
Hey PT how big is your tank? I am confused by all of the blah blah blah. How big of a tank will I need for medium use but still fit in a welding cart. I don't think I need one as big as the torch tanks but I don't want one too small either.

I HATE PONIES

Aug 3, 2006
I don't know how I ever welded without gas. This is an absolutely amazing difference and it's cheaper. It is plain to see that the difference between novice welding and professional welding is not only experience but largely the equipment.

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
ptschram said:
I've had experienced welders tell me they purge their welders into their face and adjust for a gentle flow.
That's what I do for both MIG and TIG. Of course with MIG I have to be sure to disengage the wire feed drive wheel first. :rofl:

antichrist

Sep 7, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I HATE PONIES said:
It is plain to see that the difference between novice welding and professional welding is not only experience but largely the equipment.
Actually it's more experience than equipment.
As for MIG vs. fluxcore, they are both "professional" processes and both have their place.
Take your MIG outside to repair some equipment on a windy day and tell me how much better it is than fluxcore. ;)

I HATE PONIES

Aug 3, 2006
antichrist said:
Actually it's more experience than equipment.
As for MIG vs. fluxcore, they are both "professional" processes and both have their place.
Take your MIG outside to repair some equipment on a windy day and tell me how much better it is than fluxcore. ;)

I have both just in case. I don't plan to weld outside though.

I am just saying that the difference between flux core and gas is like the difference between flux core and stick.

The biggest plus is the lack of smoke inside.

jeepfiend

Apr 20, 2004
Southeast Idaho
Don't be too quick to bash the stick!! You can just about train a monkey to run a squirt gun, but to really learn to weld, you should start with a torch, move to the stick, and then on to the squirt gun. When I got certified, they wouldn't even let us touch the wire feed until we certified with the stick. Reason being, the stick really teaches you how to manage the puddle and understand what the metal is going to do with the heat applied. The torch even more so. I use my wire feed quite a bit, but I still like the buzz box. Since my wire feed is only a 110V unit, I always resort to the stick for anything heavier than 1/8". I've never been too good overhead, but it's really just a practice thing. I don't spend the time welding I used to, so things aren't as pretty as they used to be, but I still really like my stick welder.