newly installed OME 2" HD lift kit

B

billmallin

I have a question: Why in the hell did it take you 6 hours?

B

billmallin

I have another question: What are you going to do for tires?

Apexdisco

Apr 20, 2004
Castle Rock, CO
What's wrong with six hours!?!? We ran into some troubles with one of the spring compressors. Apparently some threads got mangled while we were trying to back it off once the spring was seated in the rear. So that did set us back probably a good hour or more. But we weren't in a race to get it done and in the end I'm extremely happy with the results.

Next upgrade is definitely going to be new tires. I've been looking hard the the BFG AT KO's.

neil30076

Apr 20, 2004
Cary, NC - ex - San Diego
Just did th same

the spring retainer bolts on the rear are almost impossible to get at, it took me an hour on each side to get them off, with a large amount of WD40, flare ( open ended ) wrenches, and a few beers! For anyone considering replacin gteh rear springs, get new hardware for teh retainer bolts, you will chew up the originals.

Joey

Apr 19, 2004
Liberty Township, Ohio
Took me almost 5 hours to do mine, but I broke a rear shock mount and had to rebuild it. So I would say that is not bad for time... unless you happen to do this everyday.

R

RebelGA

wow that looks nice!
also as for the MT's i was curious to get a firsthand opinion on how well they drive on street? anyone got a pair?

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Kris,

Are those before or after pics? I don't now whether it is impressive or not (depends on what you are after), but it hardly looks lifted at all.

If you remove the sway bars or let them hang then there is no need for a spring compressor, just let the axle hang and the spring will slide right in. Front and rear.

With the HD springs, you could just take the anti-sway bars off anyway. It is common to do, but you might want to keep them in case you do not like the handling on road. Off road removal of the sways will help a lot.

I did not need a compressor for the RTE 3" springs.

Rebel, Just go buy the MT's they are the best tire out there. If you really, really need wet handling have them siped every now and then. The ATs will get chewed up by rocks, so it depends on what you are after. The ATs definitely out-handle the MT on wet roads.

bri

Apr 20, 2004
US
Apex, Dude... Lighten up!

The lift is now obvious since I have now seen all the pics. I was helpful for you explicitly point out the little grey arrows that I never even thought were part of a user interface.

Maybe the pointers were not for you, but for people that might be viewing this thread that have not done a lift before.

Sheesh.

K

kevinhaeb

I wasn't to pleased with just having OME springs, so I added 1 inch spacers. I just finished this weekend. So far no problems with anything, and yes, it took me about six hours also. I didn't use spring compressors, and broke a bolt off inside the rear shock mount. Other than that, I was very pleased with the height, with spacers. Just puttin in my comments..Kevin

F

fergy

Kevin,
Did you use the 1" spacers front and back? I thought that the spacers were for the rear only. I'm looking to increase the lift by 2.5 to 3" and was debating between the 3" OME route or the 2" OME with EE body lift.
Fergy

K

kevinhaeb

I sure did, I used front and rear spacers. They go in the exact same way as the rear, and don't look bad or anything like that. I got mine from ebay for a 105 bucks with shipping. If you're interested in finding out the guys e-mail, let me know. I would recommend this to anyone not satisfied with their OME lift, of course there is the contraversy of drivetrain and all that, but I think you should replace all that junk only if you're trying to play it safe. Mine hasn't had any problems yet, except for a blown MT tire yesterday, damn rocks! Kevin H.

K

kevinhaeb

By the way, my set-up is rear HD OME springs, and I moved the stock rear springs to the front with front OME shocks(I think 44's), and I have an ARB bull-bar. I looks really good and saved me a crap load of money. Kev

Morpheus

Oct 5, 2004
RebelGA said:
wow that looks nice!
also as for the MT's i was curious to get a firsthand opinion on how well they drive on street? anyone got a pair?
Ive got a set of BFG mts on my disco and to tell you the truth I have only notices a very faint rumble when driving.not much vibration or noise

Apexdisco

Apr 20, 2004
Castle Rock, CO
Wow! talk about digging up an old thread.

I had to remove the post where I was coming off as a complete dick. :D

That's Al Hang's drive way. He bought some new tools for his new house back then.