Older Range Rovers with plastic hood letters.

azarmadillo

Nov 7, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
www.chadmanz.com
Does anyone have an older Range Rover that had the black plastic hood letters? I'm hoping to see some pictures of the front hood with the letters and underneath the hood how they are installed. I have all the plastic letters and will soon have the friction bushings to install on my hood but would like to see how it's done before I begin my own installation.

Chad
1989 Range Rover with 1979 grill and headlight surrounds
http://www.geocities.com/azarmadillo

S

syoung

I have a 72 Rangie and the letters on mine were glued to the hood- there's no holes in the hood. :confused:

J

jenzz1

Hi, I have a 74 and there are definitely factory made holes in the hood. I currently restore it, and bought it dismanteled. But as far as I see the letters are just pressed into the bushings. If there were any kind of additional fixings, they would be in the parts manual, but there are none.

Steve, I guess the reason that all those holes are gone must be that you have a later model hood.

S

syoung

that certainly could be- my Rangie is a bit of a Frankenstein...

az_max

Apr 22, 2005
Ok, Azarmadillo, that's spelled R A N G.....

Just kidding :D

I'm not sure how you'd line them up, you might want to make a template out of benderboard or thin lexan to find where the holes need to be. Use a drill just large enough for the bushing. If they're like the VW bushings, they'll flair out after the collar to hold them in place. Make sure you drill for the collar size, not the largest size. I did one wrong on a 67 vw hood. Had to put some silicone around it to make sure it didn't leak.

Orlando

May 23, 2004
I have a 77 that had the letters on someone revomed them and stuck them in the glovebox. But the hood did have some holes for the letters. I didn't put them back and and still have what ever was there. I know that they weren't all there. Anyways I covered the holes and I believe I looked throught the underside and there is no way to to see the holes since it has some type of steel structure to strengthen the hood. If any one needs some of the letters I will send them to you. But I don't know if they can still be used since I didn't look much into putting them back on.

azarmadillo

Nov 7, 2004
Phoenix, AZ
www.chadmanz.com
Thanks for the info. I still have the Range Rover decal letters on the hood so I'll use those as templates for each letter's position and drill away. I'll try and take some before and after photos. And if I break any of my letter's mounting pegs, I'll take you up on the offer for some of the extra ones.